Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to plan out the installation of a permanent, wired, cell phone mount/holder. I already have the mount and just got my holder in the mail:

HTC Incredible (Verizon) - Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Straight Power Cord for Fixed Installation

This proclip holder comes with a power adapter that is intended to hook into a +12V DC circuit. However, the adapter is not small -- something like 1.5"x.5"x3" -- and I really don't think I need it as I already have the USB connector in my FJ right below the 12V socket in my center console.

All I need to make this work is a +5V DC power source and ground that is enabled with the accessory ignition position. I have learned that USB power is +5V DC.

My question is which option makes more sense to do:

Option A - Try to find a +5V socket in a fuse panel and connect to that. My problem is I don't know which fuse panel nor which socket to tap in to.

Option B - Take apart the console and locate the back of the USB socket and tap into the power and ground right there via a splice of some kind.

Any and all thoughts are helpful as I really am not that electrically knowledgeable!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My advice would be use the power adapter that came with this. There will not be a 5V circuit in the fuse box. I fried a satellite radio once trying to hardwire it straight in. Cellphones can be peculiar about their charging too. Is the cord coming off the adapter long enough that you can hide it under the dash somewhere? If you are going to try and wire it to the USB connecter I would use a volt meter and make sure it is just 5v. It may be 12v going in and 5v going out. The voltage reducer may be inside the USB connector itself.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
x2, everything coming from the fuse block is 12 volt. Nothing in the car runs on 5volts as far as i know.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My advice would be use the power adapter that came with this. There will not be a 5V circuit in the fuse box. I fried a satellite radio once trying to hardwire it straight in. Cellphones can be peculiar about their charging too. Is the cord coming off the adapter long enough that you can hide it under the dash somewhere? If you are going to try and wire it to the USB connecter I would use a volt meter and make sure it is just 5v. It may be 12v going in and 5v going out. The voltage reducer may be inside the USB connector itself.
I hadn't thought about a scenario where the voltage reducer is in the USB socket itself. I hate the idea of pulling apart the console just to put a meter on the back of the USB socket. Need to rethink this....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK -- I found the USB component here. Also see the attached wiring diagram for more details.

I cannot tell for sure, but it looks like the power input is circuit "AUX1" which I have to believe is the primary 12V accessory power for the vehicle. Also because this part costs $100 it's gotta have electronics inside it.

Since nothing on the car except the USB connector uses 5V DC, I'm going to have to say that the input to the "86190C - No. 1 Stereo Jack Adapter Assembly" is 12V.

So looks like I'll be using the ProClip power adapter after all. I'll probably use double sided mounting tape to stick it up under the dash somewhere.

Final question: Any suggestions on the best way to tap into the accessory power from the fuse box?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
A question. I have tried to contact Proclip USA about some of their solutions and can't seem to connect to there phone lines. I haven't got an email response either.

Are they still operating? I wanted a mount and holder for an iPhone 4.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they still operating? I wanted a mount and holder for an iPhone 4.
I had no problem with my order...was shipped quickly, etc. One thing that may help you is that the installation instructions for the holders are on the web page about the holder...but are not obvious to find.

I am in the process of doing a writeup on my install, but I can tell you that the HTC Incredible holder I bought is absolutely awesome. For $80 it should be. The convenience of a wired holder is great, the fit is tight, the swivel and rotate work flawessly. It sounds stupid how much I love this thing, but how many time do you buy something and are later disappointed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts