Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the story....I developed a high speed steering wobble. When I hit 47 it starts and stays till about 62. A pretty good little stearing shake. I had the tires balanced three times.....I jacked it up found that the drivers side wheel bearing was shot (replaced it) and checked all steering components under load and jacked up and nothing seems wrong and my issue continues....

Its driving me nuts...any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have the tires balanced with a road force balancing machine (and someone who knows how to use it). Hunter makes some of them. This has been an issue with Nissan Pathfinders as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well in truth I cant attest to the level of the expertise the tire guys but the tires have been on well before the wobble and I have had them re balanced three times at two different locations since so im left thinking it cant be that. any other thoughts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
the list to check could be a long one.. steering knuckles, control arm bushings would be another area to keep an eye on .. put a jack under the front end and get it off the ground.. and get violent with each tire see what wiggles.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise but thats the kicker....ive done that literally 4 times and not a thing seems loose when its completely unloaded....just driving me crazy. Im missing something simple im sure.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Think back to the first time you noticed the wobble was there some event that may knocked the frontend out of alignment have you had the alignment checked?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know....I had drove the rig cross country from Co to DC and was in the city for two months with no issues. When I headed back home to CO at highway speeds is when I noticed it.

This may sound stupid but....My wheel bearing was bad. I drove 1600 miles with this wobble. Could that have cupped the tires and now im feeling this from that. I dont want to ignore something "coming apart" on me as I will be heading to Moab in the rig next wk then to San Rafeal swell and later to Ouray for Summit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the EXACT same issue. However I just discovered that my driver side tie-rod is shot. So I'm going to replace it and as soon as I do I shall let you know if that fixed it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BUMP!!!

I have 72K on the Beast and out of no where I now have suddenly the EXACT same issue. Has anyone figured out what the deal is?

I have given everything a once-over and I'm not seeing anything...

Ugh- HATE going to the stealership but may have to. It's buggin me big time.

Someone tell me they realized that they just needed to dump a few K into new suspension parts :rofl:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok- so, I got it up in the air and I think I've got it pinned down...

Looks like a bad front driver's side lower control arm bushing (rear bushing). With a pry bar I can shift the whole LCA assembly back and forth, which, since the front bushing is more intact it creates a 'wobble' that I believe is the cause of what I'm feeling.

All the rest of the suspension assembly looks good. Wheel bearing is good too (12 & 6 test). KM2s are showing a saw tooth wear pattern consistent with wobble.

I would usually try for the bushing replacement, but I'm leaning towards a set of 150$ oem replacement LCAs. I happen to find myself tired and not wanting a hassle and also not wanting to drop 1500$ on TCs. Nice as they are...

I hope this helps someone else, and I'd be very interested in any other feedback before I rip the LCAs out and get into it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Typically the wobble under braking leads to warped rotors. The FJ and other Toyota rotor's are tiny and will over heat fairly easily if you are towing and or heavy on the brakes for some reason.

I have 82,000 miles and started to developed the braking wobble so I turned the rotors and replaced the pads. Wobble is gone. But you are on the right path with the suspension, it can be related to control arm or thrust arm bushing worn out. Before I start replacing parts I like to have my alignment shop put it on the rack and look at the alignment specs and then they can take a look at the various suspension complements and tell me which ones are bad and need replacing.

Good Luck and report back with what fixed it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Typically the wobble under braking leads to warped rotors. The FJ and other Toyota rotor's are tiny and will over heat fairly easily if you are towing and or heavy on the brakes for some reason.

I have 82,000 miles and started to developed the braking wobble so I turned the rotors and replaced the pads. Wobble is gone. But you are on the right path with the suspension, it can be related to control arm or thrust arm bushing worn out. Before I start replacing parts I like to have my alignment shop put it on the rack and look at the alignment specs and then they can take a look at the various suspension complements and tell me which ones are bad and need replacing.

Good Luck and report back with what fixed it.
I will be working on replacing the OE LCAs with Mevotechs (full assembly set up with new ball joints and of course bushings), next week- providing they arrive. Going to do both sides- I prefer symmetry . I'll get back to you and with an update after its wrapped up.

Funny enough, I hadn't thought about the brakes- but sure enough, I just did a full set of EBC rotors all the way around. I have to think there was some amount of contribution coming from the failing LCA bushings.:bandit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts