Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought all the nice things for an FJ based on functionality and didn’t really worry that much about weight untill it was too late. Doooh.:worried:
Vehicle purpose: We’re typically two people going on offroad trips into the mountains where we camp and go climbing.
Below are the weight calculations so far. What do you think might be possible to do about it? What would I save in weight by taking out the rear seats? Which of the three skid plates is least necessary?
How big a disaster is it to be at the weight rating limit or a little bit above it? (not the legal principles but focus on real experiences, real drivability, real engineering, wear, break-downs.)

Payload rating:
FJ 4x4 AT has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 5570 lbs and a curb weight of 4295 lbs, so that should give a maximum payload rating of 1275 lbs for equipment, occupants and cargo.

Equipment:
Fabfours front bumper: add 106, remove 35 = net 71 lbs
Warn 9.5si winch = 89 lbs
Gobi Ranger roof rack = 95 lbs
Gobi roof rack ladder = 10 lbs
Two pairs of PIAA520 driving lights = 12 lbs
5 x AR Mojave Teflon rims: add 5 x 28, remove 5 x 27 = 5 lbs
5 x Firestone Destination M/T tires: add 5 x 55 lbs, remove 5 x 40 lbs = 75 lbs
Warn rear bumper: add 70 lbs, remove 1 lbs = 69 lbs
MAF rocks sliders: 2 x 45 = 90 lbs
MAF skid plate front engine = 45 lbs
MAF skid plate transmission = 22 lbs
MAF skid plate transfer case = 32 lbs
Added YellowTop battery = 43 lbs
Total equipment: 658 lbs (Remainder for occupants and cargo: 617 lbs)

Big cargo:
Hi-Lift jack = 31 lbs
Roof-top tent (Oasis 6.2) = 42 lbs
1 Scepter can with fuel = 38 lbs
1 Scepter can with water = 50 lbs
Viair440P compressor = 14 lbs
Total big cargo: 175 lbs (Remainder for occupants and cargo: 442 lbs)

Occupants
Assume driver and co-driver is 176 + 198 lbs.
Total occupants: 374 lbs. This leaves 68 lbs for the rest.

The rest
Battery mount, passenger armrest, MPAC rack, all-weather mats, scanguage, gps, pc, winching equipment, first aid kit, car emergency kit, lights, mini-axe/spade kit, camping equipment, sleeping bags, climbing equipment, clothes, food, guidebooks and maps – will most likely weigh around 200 lbs so that’s already 132 lbs over maximum payload...:cowfrown:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Re: Help, I’ve built an overweight FJ, now what do I remove?

I don't know if GVW includes an empty tank or not, but factor in 19 gallons of fuel (at ~8lbs per gallon), if fuel load is not included in GVW.

Doesn't take long to tack on weight, does it? BTW, you may not be able to sacrifice tires, as you'll need some stout tires to hold the weight...

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Nice built rig you have there. :)

I'm not an expert here. But does 132 lbs. overweight really make that big of a difference? My only concern would be if you had a huge lift on the vehicle and you were top heavy and depending on the terrain that you were driving on it could cause you to be tipsy. But seeing that you don't have a lift of the FJ that would not be a concern for you to have.

I think you have all of the right equipment that you need for doing what you want with it, and having to pick something off of that list to remove would be a hard decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Psychlone welcome to the forum - and we'd love to see some pictures.

Your issue is exactly what everybody here is facing. However the concern is not exceeding the GVWR. It's fuel and performance. You will not have a breakdown because of the weight. We have some very heavy vehicles here, heavier than yours.

I'm interested to know what your offroad goals are as a Swiss. In the states we have a choice between desert and mountains, but I'm assuming you'll be doing mostly Alpine exploring. If you are staying on the trails and not going onto the rocks you will never break, and you have built yourself a terrific vehicle.

So send us some pictures from the Alps bitte!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
From the look of it, you're not doing too bad! I've seen rigs far more loaded down then yours. If you can identify your driving habits clearly, you may find that you don't need all that body armor. Perhaps you don't scrape as often as you do? If that's the case, maybe you could remove the armor except the front skid. Are you running synthetic line in your winch?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
get some RASTAS!!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Factory curb weight ratings are done without gas. Anyway, you need to find lighter alternatives to all of your gear. There are lighter front bumpers...lighter skids, etc. Start thinking like a backpacker...whats really necessary and whats overweight. Depending on what you are doing with your truck, there are options. Heavy duty skid plates are great...if you need them. If you don't drive where you are grinding/bashing over rocks then ditch 'em.

Or, you can go the opposite way and think about beefing up all the areas that you have affected with your weight! :) Drop in the Rock Jock 60 rear-end, SAS the front, Maybe a Marlin Crawler, Lefty or Atlas transfer case. Start beefing up the drivetrain and suspension to handle the weight. Gas mileage be damned!!

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Wow .. I am surprised you are able to get past MFK (Swiss DMV) with your Bumpers and MAF stuff. Did you know someone? The last time I had to get a car past MFK, it failed do to the rear window wiper not working :rofl: ... They are super strict over there and I wouldn't take it past them to look at your Rig and say your over weight. I even had a Mini Cooper('78) that failed, because it's emissions were too clean (go figure), I had to change the fuel air mixture to make it within the dirty range expected of that car.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Start thinking like a race car-- break out the holesaw! Remove all creature comforts-a/c, airbags, door panels, headliner. Install carbon fiber seats, fiberglass fenders and hood, tube doors, plexi windows........

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'll say start from top. How often you use your roof top tent. Winch cable to rope sounds good and a rear bumper since it doesn't have tire rack and gas rack it really isn't a must. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks all, for the comments.

Dragon - yes, it's become quite a tank :lol:

JoeUser - Toyota's US definitions of curb weight is the weight of the empty vehicle without cargo, driver or passengers, but including fluids and equipment. In other words, no need to account for fuel in the standard tank. But come to think of it, I was originally planning to get the MAF auxiliary tank, now I guess that's out of the question if there is supposed to be enough payload left to have a driver in the car :)

MrsTennesseeSquire - thanks for the praise. I don't know if 132 lbs over the weight rating makes any difference. The vehicle has about 2.5" lift with the Icon coilovers and rear shocks and springs. It is not top heavy since a lot of the extra weight is in the skids, sliders, bumpers and winch which are all pretty low. The Scepter jerry cans do not go on the gobi roof rack. Up there is basically only the very light Oasis 6.2 roof top tent (chosen because it only weighs 17 kg).

Air2Air - thanks! Good to hear I shouldn't be too afraid of reaching the GVWR. My offroading is 1, 2, 3 week trips from Switzerland to Eastern Europe, Italy, France, Spain, and maybe North Africa in the future. Getting there is via paved roads. On site it's mostly gravel roads through mountain passes, some of it can be pretty rough. Had to drive back from Italy last week because the alpine dirt roads had collapsed because of the rain there. Didn't even bother to take a picture, it was raining and totally fogged. I will also go on rocky terrain to get to some of the remotest climbing places (not the vehicle sort but human rock climbing:)) and got the skids to protect against that.

Fjamming - thanks! Yes, the parts I'm tossing is probably the MAF skids for transmission and transfer case and the MAF rock sliders (they are insanely heavy so that's a quick gain but of course it sucks to pull them now that I've bought them.) No the winch has steel wire. So again that's an obvious way to save some weight by replacing that with synthetic.

Athenaceleste - he he, oh man I would for sure have gotten the rastas if I had known what I know now when I got the MAF ones. It looks like Toyota put a lot of thought into keeping the weight down and then I just throw on these big slabs of steel. Doooh to me, I guess:worried:

1 Bored Clerk - yeah, I wish I could just go back and get lighter alternatives, but everything is kinda paid for and I've waited months to get them to Europe. So not so easy to replace. What I can more easily do is dropping some of the stuff.

Swicago - don't mention the MFK (and I can't go into detail here about the approval but I can tell you it's important what sequence you get things approved in....) Great story about the Mini Cooper. Guess the equivalent for me would be that my bumpers were not sharp enough on the front so had to mount GI M-9 bayonets in the front to get it re-classified as an army vehicle:lol:

Jamesart86 - hmm, not what I'm going for and too big an effort.

Notes so far, for what to most likely remove:
  • MAF rocks sliders: 2 x 45 = 90 lbs
  • MAF skid plate transmission = 22 lbs
  • MAF skid plate transfer case = 32 lbs
  • Added YellowTop battery = 43 lbs
  • Replace steel winch line with synthetic winch line = maybe 20-25 lbs?
  • Pulling the rear seats, anyone know what they might weigh?
  • I think my brother the co-driver could loose about 20 lbs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
sell me ur skid plates!? CHEAP :stickpoke: :bigthumb:

EDIT*** you are in switzerland! nvm :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Ya and I didn't give the kids Red Bull!!!!
Jack I was gonna have them stay at your motel room... :rofl::wave:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Psychlone the rear seats are fairly heavy, perhaps 40 lbs. You will get a lot of extra interior storage space... for more heavy stuff!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Is there a truck scales somewhere that you can use to weigh your truck? Maybe some of those weights you are calculating are off. At least you will have an accurate current weight.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts