Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I value everyone's opinions on this decision, hence why I am posting. The time has come to upgrade my wheels/tires, but I can't make up my mind on what to get so here goes, Forum please help me!

I'm not in a position to put a 3" lift on my BD because my parking garage at my office won't allow for that much height (and no I'm going to quit just so I can lift my FJ, even though the thought crossed my mind), so I am working with a stock FJ.

I really like the look of 18" wheels, but I know they aren't the best for wheeling, and for tires, I want to maximize the amount of tire without rub or body chop. I've only wheeled once, but I plan on going a ton, plus I spend a lot of time camping and at the beach.

So now I have to decide whether to go with the 17" or 18" wheels (and I'm going black with the rims) and I have decided on the Nitto Terra Grappler, but I have no Idea what size.

So far for rims I've thought about:
Moto Metal 951-Black
Ultra Goliath
ATX Thug w/Rivets

Anyone have some insight?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well, the biggest tire you can fit wothout the lift would be the 265s, so I say go with the 16"TRD wheels (which gives the most possible rubber) and a set of 265/75/r16s BFG A/Ts.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like where you're heads at, the trick would be to find the Black TRD wheels, that's why I was leaning towards a Teflon coated wheel.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't help you out on the size stuff, but my first vote would be for the ATX Thugs. Very cool, thinking about getting some myself.

I also like the Ultras, might look cooler because of the silver parts.

Have you "tried them on" online or seen any other pics of them on a BD, you might be able to form a better opinion if you could see what they'll look like on your ride.

Great choices, I'm sure you'd be happy with any of them.

:rocker:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure have, even had a buddy do some photochopping to help out. I want them all, I just can't land the plane and pick one.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Have you seen the Pro Comp 7089s?
That is what I have, and I dig 'em.

Had them on all winter and did not wash them.
Come spring time for the rigs first bath, the wheels looked brand new after soap and water.
They are very durable.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
big..the thugs are bad to the bone..ive had mine on about a week, and love them...the teflons proven to be tuff, and easy to clean...IMO

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Big Poppa,
I am groovin' on the ATX Thugs myself. I am going with Nitto Terra Grapplers myself, but I have a 3" lift (Toytec) so I am popping up to 285.

I have seen a bunch of people running the 285's without a lift.....you would have to do the body chop......but that ain't bad.....

One thing you need to watch out for is any increased height of the overall rig if you run a tire bigger than stock....would another inch or inch and a half clear the parking garage???

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, It would clear the garage. We may be moving our office to a more "uppity" area and that means more luxury cars and less clearance. I know I could get away with a bigger tire, just not the lift.

So here's my thoughts right now, ATX Thug (w/rivets) 18"s with a 285/60R18. I think I'll have enough tire to wheel, but still have a real beefy look for the streets/beach. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you seen the Pro Comp 7089s?
That is what I have, and I dig 'em.

Had them on all winter and did not wash them.
Come spring time for the rigs first bath, the wheels looked brand new after soap and water.
They are very durable.

Those are SWEET! That's actually the rim that put me over the edge when deciding to black.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Level the front, chop the body mount and get some 285's Rim size is your choice, but the larger the rim the fewer choices you have in a tire. If you have a roof rack, lose it and get a 3" lift.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Have you considered a level lift???? It's enough to bring the nose up....What about 275? I am not sure but I think their are AT's in that size....wouldn't mean anymore than maybe an inch or less in total height. Remember leveling only brings the nose up...Not the tail....No "total" lift. I am still leaning towards 16's myself but I like the old school look of less wheel and more sidewall. If you use the tire size calculator you can see exactly what difference in height you will gain or lose by changing tires. I swear I use that thing twice a week anyway when I find a different tire size to check against my stockers.

Tire size calculator

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered a level lift???? It's enough to bring the nose up....What about 275? I am not sure but I think their are AT's in that size....wouldn't mean anymore than maybe an inch or less in total height. Remember leveling only brings the nose up...Not the tail....No "total" lift. I am still leaning towards 16's myself but I like the old school look of less wheel and more sidewall. If you use the tire size calculator you can see exactly what difference in height you will gain or lose by changing tires. I swear I use that thing twice a week anyway when I find a different tire size to check against my stockers.

Tire size calculator
Thanks, that tire size calculator is a cool tool. I've considered the leveling, but doesn't the stock off set increase the aerodynamics and increase the MPG?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
LOL.....I think the word aerodynamics and the letters FJ should never be allowed in the same sentence or thought. I have not changed wheel or tire since my lift install and I hit almost dead on level all the way around (measuring to the fender flare straight up over the hub of each wheel) I forget what the exact measurement was but it was oddly the same at each wheel as I recall.

But to answer your question, with stock wheels and tires I did not see any change in MPG at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts