Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help or a "how to" install speaker on the sides of the rear seat (C-Pillar?). I looked around and saw some people were able to do this but there were no instructions on how to do it (or maybe I just could not find the thread). I read someone was able to hook up the wiring to the 3.5 d-pillar speakers and mount them on the c-pillar. Has anyone done this? is there a thread that I am missing on how to do this?

I just installed new front door speakers today and would like to install some on the c-pillar to round off the sound in the cabin.

Something like in this pic:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've done this myself. You can remove the covers where the factory oem speakers would be in the D pillar. Once you remove it look down and you'll see the harness you can make your own and connect it or, you can go on crutchfield and buy the harness they aren't too pricy. Connect the harness and run it towards the c pillar. Next depends on you. You can buy the premade speaker cutouts kinda pricy. Or if you have some time and the right tools you can make your own for pretty cheap. Next the install of the speaker cutouts. Some people say to remove the whole panel but you can leave it in place. Cut the whole for you speaker and mount the speaker pod and speaker to the plastic. i have seen a few pics where people just the cut the whole and mount the speakers without any speaker pods. You can do that to but I was afraid the plastic would fail. Don't worry when you cut the hole its about 5 inches till you would hit the Fj.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can buy the premade speakers cutouts? I probably dont have the right tools and materials to make one myself. Also, did you go with 3.5 speakers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thanks so much.
One more question, after you locate the hardness in the D pillar and connect the crutchfield harness to it, how do you run the cables to the c pillar? did you run them behind the side panels? and if so, do you have to remove the panels in order to do so? or did run them in front of the panels?

I really appreciate your help. If it wasn't for people like you in this forum, a lot of us "noobs" couldn't get any mods done on our fjs =D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Run the wire behind the panel.Cut the hole for the speaker it will easily be big enough to fit your hand and from there it isn't hard at all to run the wires behind the panels. Feel free to PM when you are tackling this project.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I almost forgot if you don't want to go the way of making the D pillar harness extending it to your C pillar then you could always go in the driver side kick panel and disconnect the crappy headliner speakers connect there and run under the door sills to your C pretty easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a good idea. You mentioned before that some people have just cut the whole and have mounted the speakers directly to the panel without any speaker pods. I thought a good way to do this would be by adding a piece of plywood to the back of the panel and drilling into it in order to have a more secure hold. For this I would have to remove the rear side panel in order to sneak the plywood in there, so I might as well use the occasion to reroute the d pillar harness to the c pillar. I did a little write up of what I mean. I think it would work and would avoid spending $100 + on the speaker pods. Let me know what you think and if you think it would work.
[/url] C pillar Speakers installation by jnachozz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just noticed from a thread in here (Picture bellow) that there is a yellow side airbag cable behind the c pillar panel so I guess I would have to cut the plywood around it. I am not sure what else is behind there that might obstruct the plywood, so that's why I am not sure if the plywood method could work.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Plywood should work I was wondering why plywood and why to the back of the plastic? Then I realized you just wanted to install a precut square back there. It would work gotta watch out for the yellow wire. MDF is the way to go. I wished you lived closer I could give you a hand even make some pods. I don't recall anything else back there then again I didn't remember the yellow air bag line till the pic. I think you could still make it work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just work from the cargo area and take the lower panels off to ensure you don't clip anything. It's a little work but completely worth it to learn more about your vehicle. I mounted directly to the plastic in the area you are talking about and they have been there for four months with no issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks voodoo. How do you remove the lower panels? Is there a thread in here on how to do that that I cant seem to find?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have not looked. I know this though start from the back, remove the carpet and back door lower sill. Carefully peel back the vinyl flooring to reveal 2 screws on each side. Unscrew these screws. Fold your rear seats down and unbolt the rear seatbelt from the floor board. From there open the rear doors and pull up the lower door sill. From there it is just clips that you have to pull out on. The same is for both sides except the box and plates on the passenger side have an additional screw. Take your time, it comes out and be especially patient putting them back in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my $0.02 since I did a rear seat speaker install today and note a few things I discovered on my own.

1. First thing was cutting the hole in the rear seat panel (same spot as the OP's pic). I didn't remove the panel.

2. I used the cardboard template that came with the speakers to mark it with a pencil and simply took a razor knife and cut the hole. In and out, push cutting.

3. I've seen a few notes regarding yellow air bag hose/wiring being behind this panel. I pulled the panel out enough to check and these are on the edge of the pocket - but enough out of the way for a 6.5" hole. Only problem would be if you're cutting the entire sunken section out. In other words, nothing to worry about.

4. NOTE: There is a DEEP pocket behind that section. HOWEVER!!! On the front side there is framing. I centered my hole, cut it out, and realized there's about and inch of frame right behind the front side of my hole. Luckily, the speaker tapers shallow enough on the sides that there's no hitting, but keep that in mind. I would recommend putting the speaker to the back side of the recess.

5. The speaker fit with room to spare. However, I did have to trim the grill/cover to fit down into the recess. Not a problem to do with a razor knife, just took my time.

6. The speakers I bought (Pioneer) came with metal clips that slip around the plastic to give the screws something to bite behind the panel's plastic. I just used these to mount. It was a pain to pre-drill the holes and line it up, with a screwdriver, while holding the speaker and cover with the other hand.

7. Wiring. I crimped new wiring to the existing D-pillar wiring and ran forward.

8. Panel removal and running wiring. It IS easy! Just unscrew the "hooks" on the sidewalls, remove the pop out panel inserts, and give it a few tugs just to move it out several inches. I just had to pull out the back some, but did not remove them altogether or even pull them lose other than the back half of the panel.

9. NOTE: Getting to the wiring harness in the D-pillar proved to be challenging. As noted in other threads, the harness/hookup is just below the upper opening where the optional factory speaker would go. My problem was that I couldn't get it out as it was snapped into the body down there! I ended up having to pull out both top and bottom panels enough to fit my hands in there to work it. The top panel has one pop-rivet to remove and re-install, and as noted, there's the two screws for the "hooks" on the bottom panel.

I would also note I had read something about "fishing it down." Well, if you buy a harness connector and don't have to move the existing harness at all, you could do that. Just thread your new wire down. But if you need to get to the existing harness (I cut the harness and crimped the new wire on) you will have to get behind the panels to get to it. ALSO, the driver side wiring splits off behind the top panel for grounding to the body. So you can't just pull it down from above. Actually, you can't on either side because the harness and another clip both hold the wiring to the body.

Hmm, I think that's it. As for the exciters, I tried it with them on/off and they don't put out enough sound to hear over these speakers now so I left them unhooked. I'll say that with the location of these, they deliver more sound to my ears than my 6x9's in my door (the dash speakers are unhooked). I am currently running the fader at F4 so I don't blast the kids out when I crank it up!

I'll also say they don't deliver much bass at all; that's a huge cavern behind them since it stretches all the way back. But my front 6x9s in the door with the dash unhooked deliver plenty of bass so no problem. I have a set of speaker baffles on the way, we'll see if they help at all.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: Cement Phantom

·
Registered
328 Posts
OP, how did the install go? Reading this through again I wondered if you were replacing the head unit or wiring up to the original equipment. I was thinking this since if you are taking the time to put speakers in the back seats I would think you would just want to run some quality speaker wire back there. Anyway just curious how you fared in this venture. I remember taping the speaker cutouts and taking a deep breath as I dremmeled the first hole. Luckily all came out well. Hopefully yours did as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts