Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIfted my 2007 FJ yesterday didnt have to many issues puttin it all together

I noticed silver/grey grease amounting on the parts near my lower control arm and figured i had a small leak some where. after starting to put every thing together i noticed it was coming from my rack and pinion and the rubber covering over the cv shaft connecting to the rack and pinion, the rubber piece split on the end im not sure if it was from trying to get the new coil overs in. or if i pulled the tie rod out to far when putting it all together. now its leaking pretty bad when i call local auto store they said it was an internal issue and id need to replace my whole rack and pinion, not the rubber end covering...

any help would be aprechiated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That's your cv boot on the front axle shaft that is torn. Replacements can be had from Toyota for about $25/boot. Most autoparts store, like advance auto, napa, etc, will have aftermarket replacement cv assembly that is the whole axle shaft w/ boots for $60-100. Whether you change the boot or the whole shaft, you have to remove your axle shaft

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
If you're gonna be performing modifications or repair work on your FJ, you might want to do a little reading to get some basic level of familiarity with the systems you're working on, especially if there are significant safety implications resulting from not knowing exactly what you are doing.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but not knowing the different between a front axle assembly and a steering rack would seem to indicate a pretty basic lack of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
It's okay you don't know every part on your FJ.
Now you know what problem you have and this is way easier to fix than your rack and pinion.
^
This !!! :rocker:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts