Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a new set of tires. I'm torn between 3 and they are all within $50 of each other. Have any of you had any experience with Micky Thompson Baja (not sure which version specifically yet.) or BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 or lastly Nitto Trail Grappler M/T. Im looking at either a 305/70/r17 or 305/65/r17 and if it matters there going on moto metal 17x9. Ive read that the Nitto are really heavy and kill you mpg but not sure how heavy compared to the other two, but most importantly I'd like to not have to replace the tires every year, I do mostly city driving, little highway but want to be capable offroad. Any imput helps, thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well buddy heres my 2 cents.....you say you drive mostly city......are you sure you want a mud terrain? I have the KM2s and have ran the Nittos as well as MT on other vehicles. You will feel the wide spaced lugs of the KM2s at low speeds but they are a great tire offroad.... Each of the tires you mentioned has there own strengths and wkns so really it comes down to what you need and want. You may want to consider a good all terrain if you really spend most of your time on the road..that being said all the tires you mentioned are fine choices.

As far as weight and wear most any mud terrain will weigh more than a all terrain and you will be lucky with most mud tires to get 40k miles out of them. I now have the goodyear mtr kevlar and I love it for its bullet proof sidewall for my Colorado off road driving but its pretty loud and milage is still to be determined. One final thing...toyos mud terrain as the quietest and longest lasting mud tire I have ever owned and is another fine option. Good luck...hope Ive muddied the waters for you.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well buddy heres my 2 cents.....you say you drive mostly city......are you sure you want a mud terrain? I have the KM2s and have ran the Nittos as well as MT on other vehicles. You will feel the wide spaced lugs of the KM2s at low speeds but they are a great tire offroad.... Each of the tires you mentioned has there own strengths and wkns so really it comes down to what you need and want. You may want to consider a good all terrain if you really spend most of your time on the road..that being said all the tires you mentioned are fine choices.

As far as weight and wear most any mud terrain will weigh more than a all terrain and you will be lucky with most mud tires to get 40k miles out of them. I now have the goodyear mtr kevlar and I love it for its bullet proof sidewall for my Colorado off road driving but its pretty loud and milage is still to be determined. One final thing...toyos mud terrain as the quietest and longest lasting mud tire I have ever owned and is another fine option. Good luck...hope Ive muddied the waters for you.
This has helped alot I didnt think about some of the things you mention, I think I'll go back and take a look at the AT one also

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
I have Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's on my 17x9 Moto Metals. They will last a minimum of 50k as long as you keep them rotated and balanced. I run a more aggressive tire for offroading.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like AT would be the best for my situation because I don't have the luxery of having an offroad dedicated set, wish I did but 4.26 an hour and gonna get me 10 tires :rofl:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey listen a good AT is hard to beat and for us here in CO we dont deal with allot of mud "usually" so when you go off roading you will do just fine....just watch out for those sidewall biting boulders.

Let me know if you want to do some runs sometime.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry just have to throw my 2 Cents in towards the Treadwrights. I love mine, they are pretty quiet and run great down the road. Friend of mine just got a set for his Jeep. Cant beat the price. just sayin

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey listen a good AT is hard to beat and for us here in CO we dont deal with allot of mud "usually" so when you go off roading you will do just fine....just watch out for those sidewall biting boulders.

Let me know if you want to do some runs sometime.
Sure I'd be up for one, I just did my first one today at rainbow falls and it was alot of fun let me know next time you head out and I definatley wanna go

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry just have to throw my 2 Cents in towards the Treadwrights. I love mine, they are pretty quiet and run great down the road. Friend of mine just got a set for his Jeep. Cant beat the price. just sayin
I checked out there website and it seems really cool but do you know if they carry 33? The only one I could find was discontinued

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I just got KM2`s last week and i must say that they are pretty quiet for mud tire. Already had a chance to test them out on ice and lite show and i must say i am very pleased. I was debating the same thing, since i don`t go off road on regular bases, AT or MT... after couple of weeks of research i went with MT... given same size (i went with 285/70/17), KM2 is only 5 lbs heavier then Nitto TG.. It`s just a tad louder, but not by much. Overall - very happy with my choice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts