Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a few days ago, asking for help in deciding whether to sell my Land Rover Discovery II and go with an FJ. Appreciated the helpful replies...

I've moved a little further towards going with an FJ, and have pinpointed two solid deals locally on certified used '07s on Toyota dealer lots. Both have been negotiated down to well-below retail prices, as most SUVs are these days, and both are silver. My only must-have criteria for the FJ is 4x4 with A-TRAC and the diff lock.

The basic info on my two current options:

1- just under 5,000 miles, 4x4, automatic, A-TRAC & rear diff lock, convenience package and subwoofer; no roof rack or other off-road upgrades, $22,000

2 -just under 30,000 miles, 4x4, manual, A-TRAC & rear diff lock, loaded--skid plate, rock sliders, A/T tires, roof rack, subwoofer, parking sensors, convenience package, rubber mats, etc.--this one's got everything I'm looking for, $19,500.

I've read many, many threads now on the manual vs. automatic discussion, and I'm still on the fence on that one. I love driving manuals, and the manual FJ is particularly fun--but I'm attracted to the slightly better gas mileage and slightly better (or, at least, less error-prone) off road capabilities of the automatic.

Obviously, the first of the two has far fewer miles and is essentially brand new--it was purchased new in late 2007 I believe. The manual was purchased new in 2006. Each had just one owner. The big benefit to the second FJ is that it already has a lot of the stuff I would spend money on adding to the first one.

The FJ will be a daily driver with regular, moderate off road (mostly mountain/back-country trails) use, but no hardcore rock crawling.

Without all of the details or the ability to see the vehicles in person, any thoughts on which is the better deal? Any factors from experienced FJ buyers/owners that I may not be considering in comparing these two?

I may keep looking, but these both appear to be deals worth seriously considering, and I may be ready to pull the trigger soon.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
sounds like this phrase of yours says it all

"this one's got everything I'm looking for, $19,500"

HOWEVER, i am a BIG fan of AUTO's so my vote is to keep looking for one like #2 but is AUTO

but what do i know...

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I'd go with the Auto with less miles. You can customize your offroad accessories to your likings (ie: Gobi Stealth Rack, Bud Skids, Rock Rails), and with it being bought in late '07, you might not have to worry about the fender bulges and paint chipping. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Oh and welcome to the Forum! You'll love either vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I'd go with the Auto with less miles. You can customize your offroad accessories to your likings (ie: Gobi Stealth Rack, Bud Skids, Rock Rails), and with it being bought in late '07, you might not have to worry about the fender bulges and paint chipping. Just my $.02.
I agree. Most all the people on this forum who have the OEM stuff end up replacing it anyway. Go with the auto if it's your daily driver, a little bit better gas mileage, and later build date (less problems).

Also, I've rarely seen an FJ without the convenience package (which has the parking sensors) look again and see if it has that.

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info on the purchase date of the vehicles:

The manual was probably purchased new around November of 2006. The automatic was probably purchased new around March or April of 2007.

Is the roughly 5 month difference between the two enough to mean anything in relation to some of the problems described above?

The manual clearly saw some steady mileage over its 1 year and nine months of ownership. The automatic appears to have been owned for 1 year and four months, but rarely driven.

I haven't actually seen the manual in person yet, since it's about an hour a half away...but I may go down this week to check it out. Anything in particular I should look for on an early FJ?

The auto does have the parking sensor (and running boards, which I don't really want). Love the low miles, but I've put a lot into my Disco (OME suspension, ARB bull bar, etc.) and hesitate to start from scratch on a new vehicle. I think I'd be happy with the factory tow hitch, roof rack, maybe even rock sliders on the manual, and would put any upgrade money elsewhere.

On the other hand, if the low miles automatic is the perfect "blank slate" vehicle and its probably build date offers real advantages, I could still be swayed that way...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Tough call. How long do you think you'll keep your vehicle? The miles will mean nothing if you plan to keep it forever. I'm not sure if 11/06 is still considered "early" FJ. I would get the auto with lower miles. Sliders and skids aren't that expensive. There's less of a chance that diffs were abused... No way to be sure, but it's just less likely at 5k.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ding ding ding
Thread closer.^

This is my first auto 4x4 and I'm amazed at how effective the compression braking is in 4lo. Great control with left foot braking also.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Anything in particular I should look for on an early FJ?

I am not an expert, but don't the earlier FJs have a greater chance of coming down with fender bulge?

Just asking..............those who might know.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'd say go with the first one with less miles, plus most of the factory skids and sliders aren't as good as the aftermarket skids and sliders. Also if you do go off road an auto would be a lot easier to drive, but some people like to drive the MTs off road as well.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Wow, 6 months into FJC ownership/Forum addiction and this thread makes me sound like an expert.

<sniff> Thanks Guys!

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I agree x2 with bigPoppa, go with the auto and less miles. You can shop here on the forum and mod it like you want to.. just my 2 cents.....:rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Go with the auto its practically brand new. You will have to consider maintainance and maybe tires for the manual.
The price difference isn't that much for what you are getting

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The reason I mentioned "early" FJ was that there seem to have been more incidence of rear diff failures. I seem to recall that there was an update to the rear diff, but I don't have a link to point you to it.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have an 07 Ti with a march 07 build date and I have the auto. No issues yet and I am just about to cross the 40,000km mark (24K miles)....Only thing I have to complain about is my Crudlap tires are just about done. I was looking at REVOs on the weekend.....ommmmmm....ME WANT!!!!

So yeah I would say go with the lower mileage auto and enjoy the few more MPG you can squeeze out of it ..... Well atleast when you get over that heavy right foot syndrome we all have had when we got it....muahahahahaha.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Another factor you might want to consider.

You never know how a vehicle was driven...abused, etc. Sometimes these things don't show up until years later. I'm guessing with manual and all the added stuff, that might be more of a risk with the 30,000 mile vehicle. With only 5,000., probably the original owner just decided the vehicle wasn't right for them. If you have a good impartial inspection, maybe this won't be a concern.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Another factor you might want to consider.

You never know how a vehicle was driven...abused, etc. Sometimes these things don't show up until years later. I'm guessing with manual and all the added stuff, that might be more of a risk with the 30,000 mile vehicle. With only 5,000., probably the original owner just decided the vehicle wasn't right for them. If you have a good impartial inspection, maybe this won't be a concern.
Good advice, I would add that you crawl under the vehicle and check it your self. Look for signs of abuse, such as dents, scrapes, ect. I would also check the date on the diff., if it is much more recent than the build date on the vehicle you will know that it has been replaced. Also check under the hood for bulges or cracks. To tell you the truth if it were me I would wait for the Ivan Stewart addition and get the SC already installed on the vehicle.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Get the yellow one!:lol:

I would try to find an automatic that has most of the upgrades that you would like. There should be quite a few used FJ's on the market due to the gas crunch, so just sit tight and wait for the right one. Alternatively, you could probably negotiate a hell of a deal on a new one from the dealer considering the current market.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm in agreement with most go with the lower mileage. I personally like the blank slate myself. I like making it my own. I went with a base model and building to my liking.

hold out for a lower price though. there are tons of suv's sitting on lots with no sales in sight.

good luck

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The first is the better deal, of the two.. They would probably install a factory roof rack to "seal the deal". $2500 for 25000 miles less is not sweet enough.. JMHO.. Ron

I posted a few days ago, asking for help in deciding whether to sell my Land Rover Discovery II and go with an FJ. Appreciated the helpful replies...

I've moved a little further towards going with an FJ, and have pinpointed two solid deals locally on certified used '07s on Toyota dealer lots. Both have been negotiated down to well-below retail prices, as most SUVs are these days, and both are silver. My only must-have criteria for the FJ is 4x4 with A-TRAC and the diff lock.

The basic info on my two current options:

1- just under 5,000 miles, 4x4, automatic, A-TRAC & rear diff lock, convenience package and subwoofer; no roof rack or other off-road upgrades, $22,000

2 -just under 30,000 miles, 4x4, manual, A-TRAC & rear diff lock, loaded--skid plate, rock sliders, A/T tires, roof rack, subwoofer, parking sensors, convenience package, rubber mats, etc.--this one's got everything I'm looking for, $19,500.

I've read many, many threads now on the manual vs. automatic discussion, and I'm still on the fence on that one. I love driving manuals, and the manual FJ is particularly fun--but I'm attracted to the slightly better gas mileage and slightly better (or, at least, less error-prone) off road capabilities of the automatic.

Obviously, the first of the two has far fewer miles and is essentially brand new--it was purchased new in late 2007 I believe. The manual was purchased new in 2006. Each had just one owner. The big benefit to the second FJ is that it already has a lot of the stuff I would spend money on adding to the first one.

The FJ will be a daily driver with regular, moderate off road (mostly mountain/back-country trails) use, but no hardcore rock crawling.

Without all of the details or the ability to see the vehicles in person, any thoughts on which is the better deal? Any factors from experienced FJ buyers/owners that I may not be considering in comparing these two?

I may keep looking, but these both appear to be deals worth seriously considering, and I may be ready to pull the trigger soon.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts