Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I finally have the money to spend on new tires, I need your help.
I'm planning to get M/T tires and my desicion is between these 3 brands and models:

1) 285/70/17 BFG M/T Km2

2) 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/T

3) 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler M/T

What I'm looking on my new tires is performance, durability and loudness on the road. Also, Which one will rub less because I'm not planning to get my 3" OME Medium lift on the next 4 or 5 months and I don't have the body mount chop; but I'm not planning to do hard offroading until I get my OME lift.

Thank You,
Pedro

·
Registered
226 Posts
off the top of my head I think that the only ones that might rub is the KM2's. And as for as noise and durability that is up to your deafention of "loud" and how you drive your rig, but they are all really great tires

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
No experience with Firestones. I have MT/R and they are pretty good. When I was up in Big Bear a week ago with ssc, he was running KM2s. One thing I noticed was the voids are significantly larger in the KM2s then MT/R. When we stopped for lunch, I had more mud packed in the tire then his did. He mentioned the MT/Rs are really more of a aggressive AT type tire. I think it's a good AT/MT hybrid. The MT/Rs are not quiet but I get decent mileage (295 miles till the light come on. I'm using 87 octane).

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I know these aren't on your list, but I'll suggest them anyhow. I'm currently running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 285/70/17 and I am very happy with the tires. Very quite on the highway but still plenty aggressive for the trail. The wheels are Poison Spyder Customs beadlocks with 3.5 in backspacing... thats why they stick out a bit... Again, VERY happy with these wheels and tires. I think I paid about $275 per tire. As long as you rotate your tires every three thousand miles, they should wear evenly and last a while.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I'm for the KM2's... there are tons' of people
on the forum running them, Even J. demello,
and also JonB from All-Pro...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go with the KM2s!!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
261 Posts
The procomp xterrain's are awesome!!!!!! on and off road. 40K guarantee mileage and stick like crazy on the rocks.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts

THAT CHOICE IS EASY IMO!!! :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb: :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I was shopping around, it seemed like the consensus was that the MT/R was a good off-road tire, but wore quickly and was rather noisy on pavement. I ended up with the BFG M/T KM because they don't make the KM2 in 265 yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Another vote for the KM2's. I don't have any experience with the other two but I love my KM2's. They are also pretty quiet, more than my Pro Comp Xtreme MT's. It's not an AT so you will have noise.

I don't think they will rub any more than the other two options either. Just get that lift on ASAP.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You seriously get 295 miles on a full tank? Are they 33"? I wish I got that much....

To the OP, compared to Hankook MTs, the Goodyear MT/R are much louder on-road.
x2 i am gettuing like 220-230 to the light. What in the world.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
the mtr is by far the best wheeling tire on that list. as someone said, the mtz is a good tire, better than the km2 on the rocks and slick mud. i have beat mine up pretty bad for only having about 1k miles on them. almost to the point where i am ripping lugs off.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Another vote for the KM2's (285's). I've got a set that I run just for off road and like them a lot, even on the freeway. I do have a mild lift and no rubbing yet, so I do recommend the lift. Mine was just a spring and shock swap (ref sig).
I get to about 230 at the light also with the KM2's on, but remember there is about 4 gallons left at the light, so you could probably push to close to 300 if you run it dry. With my revo's on I go to about 260 at the light, so there is quite a difference.
HTH..

·
Registered
769 Posts
x2 i am gettuing like 220-230 to the light. What in the world.
x3!!! Same here. I have gotten up to 250 before the light a couple of times, but that was creeping around and drafting semi's on the interstate..... didn't mean to hijack this thread!!

On topic, I narrowed it down to the KM2's and the Firestones. The deciding factors for me were as follows:

1. On Tire Rack, the Firestones are $196 a tire. KM2's are $220.

2. Have a friend with the Firestone's on his Chevy 2500HD and he got them after BFG Mud Terrains (KM, not the KM2), and can't stop talking about how much quieter they are, and how well they grab.

3. Tire Rack rated the Firestones at No. 1 in the "Maximum Traction" category, it was not outperformed in ANY performance area. They did get matched in a few areas, but were never outperformed.

4. I PM'ed Dragon about his tires, and he told me he LOVES the Firestones, and says he has put many miles on them (over 30,000 I believe) and they are wearing great! He is also going to stick with them next time to my knowledge.

So, while I've never experienced either of them, a cheaper tire that is rated higher than any other tire is the way I'm going. Ordering them today most likely... just my 0.02 :wave:!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
BFG k/m 2's all the way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts