Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i checked the bolt, there tight. oiled the the locking mechanism. Even had the dealer look at it. They couldent find it. Everytime I turn or go over a speed bump it makes the rear clunk. it seems like something loose something is causing this noise but i dont know. can anyone help.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Quick question. Have you done any recent mods to the rear of the vehicle?
Tires rotated, new suspension, anything.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry forgot to mention that i did try playing with the tail pipe to see if it was that. nothing and as well visually look and toched everything in the under carrage. but cant replicate the noise my self to fix it. nothing the car is completly stock.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
tighten the spare tire ?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
tighten the spare tire ?
It's worth a try. I actually found out that my lugs on the spare were on so tight that standing on the wrench would not even budge them. I had to get a large cheater pole. So even if they are not loose, you might want to make sure they are not too tight.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
sounds like it takes an unusual amount of force to cause the noise...turns, speed bumps etc. So I'm thinking heavy object. All else I can think of is the jack/ tool kit, or loose wheel. The rear window?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Workers left you a bottle of Saki inside of the rear door.......................

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Check your rear shocks and/or the bushings. When I bought my new Tacoma years ago, I had a bad shock, and it made noise (replaced under warranty).

One other obvious thing: If you've got a trailer hitch receiver, and the hitch is left in the receiver, make sure that it's secure and not rattling (good and tight, pin doesn't allow movement)...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Just thought of something else (and, this has happened to me recently, btw):

Make sure that your rear seats are fully latched in the upright position. I folded down the seats to haul some stuff and thought that I had the seats locked after lifting them back up later, but one side wasn't fully locked (and thumped whenever I ran over a bump). Make sure that the rear seatbelt buckles are also above the seats (and not loose underneath the seat), too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts