Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have this big snow here in the ATL. I go out and have no 4WD. I've moved the lever to all of the detents as in the past but am getting no 4wd indicator lights, it is not engaging. Have not used the system in quite some time so I'm not sure what is going on. Have tried it in all of the detents but no joy. Have tried just about everything. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Sounds like one or more of the switches on the TC went out. Taking off the center console you should be able to tap into two of the switches on the top left and right of the TC which engages the ADD and turns off VSC - install two manual switches to complete each circuit. This will give you 4wd no matter if your TC switches are working or not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out and tried it again, turning the wheel, backing up, shutting the motor off and trying to engage, etc. Nothing works, and still no indicator lights on the panel. From what I'm reading looks like I'm in for a high dollar dealer repair with an accuator gizmo. 70,000 trouble free miles and the ol girl has let me down. Pretty embarrassing for my Toy to be sitting in the driveway and the Jeeps, and soccer Mom cars are riding around. I don't really want to go in there re wiring switches and all of that but thanks for the input. Kinda PO'd about this cause I've really taken care of her...is there a 12 step recovery program for FJ'ers that go thru a surprise failure like this? :boohoo: :mecry:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out again. Rear locker light flashes red every second or two. I'm not one of the modder types on here with all kinds of equipment so it looks like I have to go to the stealership. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Anyone in your neck of the woods who may have the tools and know how to help you out?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
This happened to me this year. If you don't "exercise" the 4WD system now and again the part that engages the front differential can stick. I took mine to a Toyota shop and they charged me $145.00 to "unstick" the levers that causes the problem.

There are other threads concerning the replacement of this part but I would have them see if they can free it first. I had the exact symptoms that you described

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 432, that could be it....have not exercised 4wd in awhile. Really baaaad conditions here in the ATL today and I can't go out and play!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just a suggestion, mine froze up like this last year.

Turn your truck on and for 15min do this;

Truck into N
engage 4H
Truck into D
Disengage 4H
Truck back into N
Repeat

Mine eventually went into 4x4. I now make a point of engaging 4H once a day and the issue has not repeated,

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just went out and tried it again, turning the wheel, backing up, shutting the motor off and trying to engage, etc. Nothing works, and still no indicator lights on the panel. From what I'm reading looks like I'm in for a high dollar dealer repair with an accuator gizmo. 70,000 trouble free miles and the ol girl has let me down. Pretty embarrassing for my Toy to be sitting in the driveway and the Jeeps, and soccer Mom cars are riding around. I don't really want to go in there re wiring switches and all of that but thanks for the input. Kinda PO'd about this cause I've really taken care of her...is there a 12 step recovery program for FJ'ers that go thru a surprise failure like this? :boohoo: :mecry:
If it's the switches (highly likely) they are about $60 each. An 1-1/16" crowfoot will let you replace these from underneath with minimal pain. I've gone through 3 sets of switches and the change out was done without removing the skid plates. The other possibility if you have an automatic is the front axle disconnect. And there are several threads about repairing/replacing that unit on here as well but my money is on the stupid transfer case switches.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you replace the t-case switches save the old switches. If you don't want to wire in by-pass switches you can use the old switches to make shorting jumpers that can be plugged in to by-pass a defective switch. just cut the plug and wire off of the switches (close to the switch), strip the ends of the 2 wires and twist together. Solder if you have the tools and tape. Unplug switch, plug in jumper and you are good to go. Note unplugging the switches is the hard part of replacing the switches.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mine did this. Try putting in in 4WD and "drive" then tap the accelerator pedal a few times (like you are going to race off the line). Also rocking the steering wheel back and forth like you did works sometimes. The guys above are right--it's the switches. They can stick or can simply go bad.
Good luck. BTW, the dealer puts a high value on changeing these out. Hold onto your wallet!

·
Registered
378 Posts
are you sure your drove it far enough? you need to move quite a bit to get everything to engage and light up the 4x4. also as said above and in the owners man, use 4x4 each month. find a loose dirt road in Atl and hit it everyonce in a while in 4hi. Dont think it will be there when you need it most if not used regularly.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I just worked through the exact same issue last week on my '07

The following is from 1911 and will be useful for diagnosing the source - TC switches should show continuity (no resistance) when the spring-loaded pin is pushed in and no continuity (resistance) when the switch is at rest.

H4 TC switch is on the passenger side and is some what easy to reach, L4 is on the drivers side top and will be much more difficult to get to.

When you have them out clean both the spring loaded switch and the electrical connectors for all components.

He, 1911, also has a nice write up on repairing the ADD which can be found here. In my case the ADD needed some TCL.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I experience an opposite effect with mine. It seems to only happen during colder months but once I put it into 4wd it is stubborn to disengage. The owners manual does say to try driving in 4wd at least once a month to help keep the 4wd system in good operating order.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The mechanic at the dealer was very helpful and he explained what happened exactly as others have said. The lube get's solidified and the electric motor has trouble engaging the accuator. Mine was removed and rebuilt and all is well at this time. They said they had read about this happening to other FJ's but mine was the first they had actually seen. Undoubtedly, there are many more out there that will get a surprise when they try and use it after a long period of inactivity.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
The mechanic at the dealer was very helpful and he explained what happened exactly as others have said. The lube get's solidified and the electric motor has trouble engaging the accuator. Mine was removed and rebuilt and all is well at this time. They said they had read about this happening to other FJ's but mine was the first they had actually seen. Undoubtedly, there are many more out there that will get a surprise when they try and use it after a long period of inactivity.
How much was the damage?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts