Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem I certainly hope is nothing major. I was messing with my stereo today and had the head unit out . I added 2 extra 12 volt outlets awhile back and while not paying attention I saw a spark. The extra wire I had tapped into the fuse box to power them shorted out against the radio for a second. I now have no dash lights or running lights or power to my factory 12volt outlet. First thing I did was check all my fuses and none are blown. I even swapped the two fuses out ( power outlet and parking lights ) just in case they looked good but were blown,still nothing. I read it could be the dimmer reastat so unplugged that, no difference. I checked the fuse box with a meter and have no power in either fuse spot. I jumped power over from another spot and they work.
Is there any other fuse's/relays/etc... I may have cooked ? I so dont want to take this to Toyota as its my only ride . Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
it's definitely a fuse. if i recall it's in the engine bay one of the middle section fuses.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
I checked all the fuses. Is there something in the under hood box that fuses the in cab box
Maybe I'm reading to that too much but it seems like if you can't answer that then you didn't check it. So you couldn't have checked all the fuses.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I checked the fuses under the hood , I just wasnt sure if one of them was responsible for feeding the power to the in cab fuse box. So far I have found no blown fuses. I havnt pulled out each individual fuse , just the ones related to the taillights and gauges and they are both good.
Dont know why it made two threads lol

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
I would check all of the fuses with a test light or a multimeter. Visual inspection if that is the method you are using is unreliable.
True that. Somehow I blew the 7.5A fuse supplying power to my CB yet the CB's inline 6A was fine. :surprise Super odd how that happened but still it was an easy once if took it out and looked

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success !!! So when I went out to leave for work this morning I discovered I also had no power windows ! Damn !!! Bothered me all day long.
So, when i got home I took you guys advice and checked each and every fuse no matter what it was labeled for with a meter. I have no idea what the 50 amp fuse listed as J/B is for but what I can tell you is it supplies power to at the very least, the inside fuses for the dash lights/parking lights, 12 volt power outlet and the power windows. Its the big red one in the rear that says 50 on it. Hopefully this post will save someone else in the future ! Thanks for all the help .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
JB = junction box.

When you've accidentally shorted any B+ line to ground and produced visible sparks, you will almost always have blown a fuse somewhere.

A fuse blown from a gross current overload (dead short somewhere) will usually be very obvious, but an old fuse that fails due to a mechanical crack from thermal cycling can be nearly invisible. ALWAYS use a multimeter to check fuses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JB = junction box.

When you've accidentally shorted any B+ line to ground and produced visible sparks, you will almost always have blown a fuse somewhere.

A fuse blown from a gross current overload (dead short somewhere) will usually be very obvious, but an old fuse that fails due to a mechanical crack from thermal cycling can be nearly invisible. ALWAYS use a multimeter to check fuses.
Ok so i have a similar issue but i checked that fuse and its good but only referencing 4.3 volts ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts