Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of posts spread out here. I was able to startup on my spare Yellow Top. I want a good batt that fits with the original cables (posts are in same position). Recommendations?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Lots of posts spread out here. I was able to startup on my spare Yellow Top. I want a good batt that fits with the original cables (posts are in same position). Recommendations?
Just after I said, how great the OEM batteries are. LOL

Anyway, I don't know... but, good question. Just curious what people will say/recommend.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer says they now use Interstate True Start "serviceable" batteries! Sounds like a step backward??

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I would go with Optima then... you might be able to get the redtop 35 to work with the factory cables. At worst, lift or put a spacer on the tray to bring the battery up... or just get a slighly longer negative cable.... the stock one is pretty wimpy anyway.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am sure there are better batteries out there, but I just had to replace mine yesterday. I went to the dealer and they put in a new one under warranty. The service rep told me it was covered under the 3 year 36K. Sure beat $85 from Auto Zone. The new battery has a 5 year warranty from date installed. I don't know the manufacturer, but it does say Toyota on it and is servicable not sealed like the OEM. My FJ went into service 6-30-08, But I only have 3800 miles on it. 3000 in the last month.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

GET

A

NEW

BATTERY

?

I KID' !... :lol:... I have not had to get a new bat'
in a long time, but I have in the past just went to
the biggest CCA (850-1000) battery that would
fit in the hole....

WISH I had more INFO, so I am now suscribed here
to see what pops up from the forum !...

:rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am going with a Red Top reverse post that fits Toyotas. Should not have to mess with the cables.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at the Panasonic battery the red dot is showing indicating that it needs charged. Assume that it is at end of life 3.5 years later?

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ How's the Alt' putting out ?.... I lost mine
once, but pulled the brushes out and cleaned
them and armature up and it was good as new...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next logical question - how do I check the alt output? Are there any ODB readings?

^^^ How's the Alt' putting out ?.... I lost mine
once, but pulled the brushes out and cleaned
them and armature up and it was good as new...

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Next logical question - how do I check the alt output? Are there any ODB readings?
Take it to an Autozone, Advanced Auto, Sears, etc and they can do a quick check for you. If you can get it jumped and running to get it there...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking the alt is okay since voltage on my spare batt is running about 3.2+ while driving. I think the original Panasonic just died.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Yahh... I forgot that part, that your spare battery
is still taking a charge. Your dash gauge still showing
a positive charge too right ?....

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The Sears Diehard Platinum P-5 is made my Odyssey, has a 4 year warranty, is considerably cheaper than the Odyssey and can be picked up at any Sears store. It's a very good battery.

DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-5 - Group Size 35 (with exchange)

DEWFPO
x2
I had originally got a d34/70something that was spec'ed for the FJ. It didnt fit. The ground cable would have had to been lengthened. So i just bought a dual battery kit instead :lol:

x3...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts