Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I awoke this morning with a low battery and the motor just turned over to start. I got to work and before I left it would not crank to start.

I heard the Odeyssey 2150 was the best. Now if Sears carries this same battery under the Die Hard brand i'm in for the savings.

I'm not sure if my alternator is fried cause I've been swimming the truck like a submerine lately. I would like the option of the side posts along with the top posts so I can run a huge wiring harness to the back.

Not to hyjack this thread but I'm having the same problem.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
so a good battery for the FJ is the platinum from sears or the yellow top optimas?
The Sears Platinum batteries are definitely a good choice, just make sure you get the right "group" or size/configuration because the FJ's battery terminals are reversed from the standard layout.

The Optima Yellow Top batteries are also a very good choice because of their resistance to shock and vibration, but be sure the cold/cranking amps rating is sufficient compared to the stock battery. I've read you should upsize the battery by 20% when using a deep cycle type to replace a starting battery. This ensures you will always have adequate cranking power.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can someone refresh my memory on how the rear battery hold down rod attaches to the tray? Does it hook in from the front?

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Sears Platinum batteries are definitely a good choice, just make sure you get the right "group" or size/configuration because the FJ's battery terminals are reversed from the standard layout.

The Optima Yellow Top batteries are also a very good choice because of their resistance to shock and vibration, but be sure the cold/cranking amps rating is sufficient compared to the stock battery. I've read you should upsize the battery by 20% when using a deep cycle type to replace a starting battery. This ensures you will always have adequate cranking power.
platinum P-5 correct?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cheapest one with longest warranty?

Odysseys are great, but they dont like heat. Really impacts them. On the other hand, Odyssey support recommends sticking the batteries in the freezer to keep the charge if the car is not planned on being used for a long time. Mine lasted a few years.

Picked up a costco batt, and a regular autozone one... still going without hitch some 6 years+ (8 on the autozone). Optimas are also quality batteries, but havent found a need to justify their cost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just replaced my stock Panasonic after 3 years (115,000 miles) of service. The stock battery 105D31L is a 90AH battery rated 710 CCA with 165 minutes of reserve capacity and weighing 38.6 lbs dry plus around 18lbs of electrolyte totaling 56.6 lbs. Looking to increase the capacity I looked at the Odyssey PC2150 at over $300 it was a little more than I wanted to spend. The Sears Diehard Platinum PM-1 Group 31M (Marine) battery has the same specs as the Odyssey Pc2150 100AH, 1150CCA and 205 minutes reserve and 3 year replacement warranty. It list for $250 but by waiting for a sale 10% off and 10% bing cash back brought it to $200. The Diehard is 0.95 inches longer and 0.5 inches taller and 18.4 lbs heavier than the Panasonic, by adding “Stud to top post conversion connectors” to the studs positive (3/8”-16 threads) and negative (5/16”-18) the new post are just right for the stock wiring. Making it my perfect fit.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just replaced my stock Panasonic after 3 years (115,000 miles) of service. The stock battery 105D31L is a 90AH battery rated 710 CCA with 165 minutes of reserve capacity and weighing 38.6 lbs dry plus around 18lbs of electrolyte totaling 56.6 lbs. Looking to increase the capacity I looked at the Odyssey PC2150 at over $300 it was a little more than I wanted to spend. The Sears Diehard Platinum PM-1 Group 31M (Marine) battery has the same specs as the Odyssey Pc2150 100AH, 1150CCA and 205 minutes reserve and 3 year replacement warranty. It list for $250 but by waiting for a sale 10% off and 10% bing cash back brought it to $200. The Diehard is 0.95 inches longer and 0.5 inches taller and 18.4 lbs heavier than the Panasonic, by adding “Stud to top post conversion connectors” to the studs positive (3/8”-16 threads) and negative (5/16”-18) the new post are just right for the stock wiring. Making it my perfect fit.
I thought you weren't supposed to use marine (deep cycle ?) batteries as a PRIMARY in a vehicle ??

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to use marine (deep cycle ?) batteries as a PRIMARY in a vehicle ??
The Sears Platinum PM-1 is a marine battery (stainless steel studs) but not a deep cycle battery.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Thanks for the data.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
That is a kick ass battery I have one for my 2nd battery. If I didn't already have a optima, that was warrantied, I would have got another platinum. If this optima pukes (Likely) I will get another platinuim. My frig and all of my other components are happy now,,, Even in the extreme heat

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Platinum battery is a dual battery good for both starting and deep cycle. From Sears.com site:

"Product Description

The PM-1 Platinum Marine Battery from DieHard features 205 minutes of reserve capacity and 1150 cold cranking amps. Provides power for RVs, trolling motors, marine accessories and starting needs. The combination stud/post terminal design allows for multiple connections. Its corrosion-resistant high quality tin-coated brass terminals provide reliable starting power in all weather conditions. Its rugged, military-grade construction features robust casing for increased compression and offers superior vibration resistance.

* Longer off-season storage time - ideal for boats
* Deep discharge recovery - ideal for marine & deep cycle applications
* Plates made of 99.99% pure virgin lead
* High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats; non-spillable design
* Absorbed Glass Mat construction provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life
* 3-Year Free Replacement Limited Warranty"

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
The Platinum battery is a dual battery good for both starting and deep cycle. From Sears.com site:

"Product Description

The PM-1 Platinum Marine Battery from DieHard features 205 minutes of reserve capacity and 1150 cold cranking amps. Provides power for RVs, trolling motors, marine accessories and starting needs. The combination stud/post terminal design allows for multiple connections. Its corrosion-resistant high quality tin-coated brass terminals provide reliable starting power in all weather conditions. Its rugged, military-grade construction features robust casing for increased compression and offers superior vibration resistance.

* Longer off-season storage time - ideal for boats
* Deep discharge recovery - ideal for marine & deep cycle applications
* Plates made of 99.99% pure virgin lead
* High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats; non-spillable design
* Absorbed Glass Mat construction provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life
* 3-Year Free Replacement Limited Warranty"
Thanks for the data 5Greens. The PM-1 appears to be a dual purpose battery, interesting. I've seen Marine batteries that were more durable in a high salt, high vibration environments that were used strictly for starting motors, but not deep cycle uses. THis one appears to do both.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
447 Posts
bump for those that havent seen this...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Overland Journal had an issue last year I believe or year before that reviewed batteries.

I want to say the Sears Diehard did do very well in the tests. I was surprised as there are many Optima fan boys in the auto community. It did 'ok'.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I've been running dual DieHards in my FJ for a while; a PM-1 as a main battery, and a P-1 as my back-up battery. I run an ARB fridge in my FJ, and can easily go all weekend without running the engine to charge. I also have a PM-1 in my A/T Horizon, running an Engle and various lights. I keep that topped up with a solar panel, however, the draw down at night is less than with the original Decca battery. I like that if anything happens, I can go to any Sears to get a new battery. I've been disappointed by Optimas too many times to go down that road again.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
$200 to $300 for a battery? I paid $100 for mine and thought that was alot.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Has anyone used an Ellis Precision Panasonic clamp for a Red Top 35?
Hey Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your battery troubles.

If you have the 50mm wide, very first thing I ever designed and manufactured clamp, it will not fit the Red Top. It's a perfect fit for the Panasonic, but may not fit many other batteries.

The 07-09 Universal clamps will fit the 07-09 Panasonic, Optima, and several other types of batteries.

The new universal will fit all FJ stock Toyota batteries (07-12 Panasonics), Optimas, and many other batteries. I have seen an Ellis Precision Universal clamp installed on a DieHard as well.

The biggest issue is the notch on the bottom of the clamp. The Panasonics we had in 06/07 were exactly 170mm wide, and the clamp has a 170mm notch. It seems most other batteries are 6 and 3/4 inches across the top, which translates to 171.45mm. Too big for the original Ellis Precision clamp. The new clamp designs are machined to 173mm, to provide a bit of clearance for any injection molding discrepancies.

Let me know what battery you go with. My FJ is getting harder and harder to start now as well (06 build).

:cheers:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts