Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I thought I would save some cash by installing my OME lift and MAF UCAs. I did my research, rented a spring compressor and impact wrench. Found a good thread with pictures detailing how to do the lift installation. I was ready to whip this out in 2-3 hrs. 5 hrs later and frustrated as hell I came inside to get some sleep, as it looks like it's going to be a long day tomorrow.

The breakdown went fairly smoothly. I removed the skid plates, break calipers, sway bar, stock struts and stock UCA. I then re-build the OME struts using the stock strut mount and bushings (I am using the 886OME front springs). I then installed the MAF UCA's and put in the OME struts. At this point I realized the problem, I couldn't get the UCA to seat far enough to get the upper spindle nut onto the UCA. I tried lowering the FJ but the tires won't move sideways to allow the weight of the truck seat the UCA with the spindle.

MY plan tomorrow is to remove the struts then bolt-up the UCA with the spindle and then try to get the OME struts in place.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I've only put one lift kit on, and this would be much easier if I knew all the technical names, but if I'm understanding what you're saying, take a jack and put it under the lower control arm and just lift it up till the upper control arm and spindle line up. Thats it. Not to hard. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, I am back at it this morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUCCESS! I figured it out. I had the UCA on the wrong side but in my defense Man-A-Fre assembled them incorrectly which led me to believe that I had them on the correct side. Now lets hope the rear is not such a difficult process.
:clap::clap:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
rear should be a piece of cake :rocker:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
rear should be a piece of cake :rocker:
I had more difficulty with my rear... but that was because I got eager and disassembled way to much stuff, and it was a b!tch to put back together again.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I'm not surprised MAF assembled them wrong. I've gotten two Panhard bars and a set of rear UCAs from them, none of them even come close to fitting my FJ. I'm wondering that the heck has happened there. I also notice they are no longer a sponsoring vendor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear was much easier. I did it in about an 1.5 hrs by myself. Two floor jacks would have made it a little faster but I improvised and used one floor jack and a 2x4 cut into 8" lengths.

I am running the OME heavy front springs and medium rear springs. I hope the front get a little softer once my bumper and winch are installed.

Next will be wheels and tires!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to be a picky party pooper, but aren't the 895 springs for the rear?
Bonehead
Oh Yeah maybe thats why it wasn't working! No, you are correct, the 895 are rear springs. I am using the 886s on the front.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Not to be a picky party pooper, but aren't the 895 springs for the rear?
Bonehead
I had to read this twice and then look at your username, to realize you weren't calling him a bonehead :rofl::jester:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts