Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I looked at a 2008 Fj with 33,000 miles (4x4, auto, a-trac, rear diff lock, subwoofer) here in Charlotte, NC. I got the dealer down to $23,500. I'm trading in a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 44,000 miles (4x4, auto, hard and soft top) and they've offered me $13,500 for the trade-in. With taxes, tags, etc. the difference comes to $10,854. Does this seem like a good deal? It's not certified. For $11,000 they said they could make it certified used. I would like to get an Fj but I have to convince my wife.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am definitely no pro here but have been messed with enough at the dealership to see when they are playing with the numbers. I would suggest having a certified mechanic look at the vehicle to see if there are any major issues. If not then you should just purchase an aftermarket extended warranty and call it done. Do not let them change the numbers once the deal is done as they are either raising the price of the vehicle or they are lowering the price of your trade. Just my thoughts on your situation.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
$23.5 sounds about right, but I'll bet you could get more for your Jeep if you sold privately. As for that warranty price....that sounds a little suspect. 11k for a warranty seems way too steep. My advice, let them know you are very interested, but not desperate. In the mean time, hop on CL and try to sell that Jeep!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think (HOPE) he meant the $11K would be the new difference price (so, just a couple hundred more).

But yes, try your luck selling privately. Also, look for fender bulges. That would cause you a MAJOR headache and looks like it is a big deal in older FJ’s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The certified warranty would only add around $150 to the price so my total cost after the trade would be $11,000. Sorry that was confusing. I think I'm going to try and sell my jeep on my own. That way I won't have to deal with a trade in. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I agree with looking the vehicle over by an independant mechanic. Also for a couple hundred more to be Certified, is well worth it. That extend the basic wtty until 100K. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One thing to consider without knowing what state you are in is trade in may lower the taxable cost. For instance in MA if I have a $20k car I want to buy and I trade in a car for $10k, I only pay tax on $10k. So if you only expect to get $1000 more private party, it may end up making more sense to just trade in and save the time and effort. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in North Carolina and I believe the sales tax is 3%. The sales tax I pay is on the amount after the trade. So, I would pay $300 sales tax with my trade in but $700 or so without the trade in. I'm not sure I could get much more than $13,500 if I sold my Jeep on my own. I bought it almost 2 years ago with 19,000 miles on it for $14,250. So I guess it comes down to whether $23,500 is a good price for the Fj. I should have just bought an Fj two years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Hello,
I looked at a 2008 Fj with 33,000 miles (4x4, auto, a-trac, rear diff lock, subwoofer) here in Charlotte, NC. I got the dealer down to $23,500. I'm trading in a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 44,000 miles (4x4, auto, hard and soft top) and they've offered me $13,500 for the trade-in. With taxes, tags, etc. the difference comes to $10,854. Does this seem like a good deal? It's not certified. For $11,000 they said they could make it certified used. I would like to get an Fj but I have to convince my wife.
are you buying it from a toyota dealer? will it be "toyota certified"? if the answer is yes to both questions then that is a bargain. toyota cert. cost the dealer $500. toyota cert comes with a balance of a 7yr, 100k power train warranty. 7 years from the original in-service date and 100k odometer miles. you should be able to put a wrap (bumper to bumper) warranty on it for around $700 and i would strongly recommend it. if they won't sell it to you for $700 then pm me and i will help you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts