Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm not super active on the site as the FJ is my wife's daily but now I need the power of the Forum. We have a '07 that has been awesome up to this point. We already have 116k+ miles on her. The problem is yesterday when we went to go out the parking brake handle will not go all the way down. I seems to be releasing but just gets stuck that last little bit (I'll call it 1st click). This leaves the light on and need to figure this out. A little more info is that yesterday morning I was going to a friends house to feed their animals. We have had recent snow but nothing major (~4-6" the night before) but it has been very cold (high in the 10-15 degree range). Do you think the cable somehow is frozen? I'm working on clearing out my garage (dumb racecar in the way) but figured I'd ask in hopes of something to check after I get it in.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are you sure it's an issue with the arm not fully returning to its stop (one click left, as you described)? Or could it be the switch that activates the light in the dash may be sticking or beginning to fail? Just a thought...

I just had the top of my center console off this weekend to install additional 12V sockets but didn't look to see where that switch may be located. Easy access, though, to the entire brake handle machanism for lubrication, adjustment, etc. The entire top half of the console just pulls off...it's stuck in place with 5 plastic bayonet clippy things. Just pull straight up with steady pressure to pop it off and take a look inside.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Are you sure it's an issue with the arm not fully returning to its stop (one click left, as you described)? Or could it be the switch that activates the light in the dash may be sticking or beginning to fail? Just a thought...

I just had the top of my center console off this weekend to install additional 12V sockets but didn't look to see where that switch may be located. Easy access, though, to the entire brake handle machanism for lubrication, adjustment, etc. The entire top half of the console just pulls off...it's stuck in place with 5 plastic bayonet clippy things. Just pull straight up with steady pressure to pop it off and take a look inside.
He said "clippy things":rofl:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response.

Well I took off the plastic and the arm is not coming in contact with the switch. You can visibly see that the arm is not going down as far as normal. I'll keep you all posted with what else I find.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like your first instinct of a frozen cable is your most likey culprit. Probably has a chunk of ice on the cable. Get under it & take a look. It should not be too hard to find. Before you clear out the garage, find something to lay on like a large piece of cardboard or a large trash can bag and slide under there & take a look. If indeed it is ice or packed snow you can probably remove it by hand or use a hair dryer to melt it. Besure it is dry before applying the e-brake & leaving it for any amount of time in freezing conditions. You are not the first one to report this happening. You should be cautious where & when you choose to use the e-brake in freezing climates.

·
Registered
452 Posts
He said "clippy things":rofl:
Yeah, I've got this thing against plastic anymore. Seems that nothing is screwed down and instead uses these funky plastic securing mechanisms to "clip" things down. Hate 'em, because after just a few times of removing them....they break and then where the hell are you? Drilling holes and installing screws to hook 'em back up.

·
Admin
7,674 Posts
Find yourself a heated parkade somewhere like a mall or something and let it sit for most of the day if possible.

Should be a cheap fix... unless the wife uses it as an excuse to shop :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got to the point where I have the wheels off, calipers/pads off and rotors off so basically I'm looking at the e-brake shoes and it still won't go all the way down. I don't see anything obvious so here in about an hour I'm going to go hit it again and disassemble. Just weird!

·
Admin
7,674 Posts
Winterpeg-> you konw it would turn into a shopping expo.
:simmadown::lol:

At least the ice build-up in your e-brake cable will have melted. I avoid using the e-brake in the winter for that reason. Bad experience with an old truck underneath it yanking on my cable (don't go there) to break free the ice.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it turned out to be a small tip of some headphones that had broke off and some how ended up under the arm! My son is actually the one that found it. I'll post pics a little later. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I actually found out how to get under the console using this site.....it rocks!

·
Admin
7,674 Posts
It's awesome when a problem starts seeming big but turns out to be small.
Huge relief!

Glad everything turned out good for ya!

Now go spend some time with the kid and celebrate!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Thats great that it was an easy fix, but that sucks that it wasn't discovered untill after you basically took the break system apart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FYI only...

but in the owners manual it says NOT to use the ebrake in extreme cold weather...

:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well it turned out to be a small tip of some headphones that had broke off and some how ended up under the arm! My son is actually the one that found it. I'll post pics a little later. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I actually found out how to get under the console using this site.....it rocks!
:cheers:
Glad you found the problem, my other car has the same e-brake system. Brake shoes inside a drum....hate it.
Now you're good to go......another 100,000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts