Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question to any of the Rocktek bumper owners. What winches and skids are you running? Any fitment issues, and was any adjustment needed? I'm looking to pull the trigger on a purchase, but do not have the tools to trim back any skid plates. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A quick question to any of the Rocktek bumper owners. What winches and skids are you running? Any fitment issues, and was any adjustment needed? I'm looking to pull the trigger on a purchase, but do not have the tools to trim back any skid plates. Thanks for your help!
No winch, I have bud built skid plates. You can install the front bumper without any issue, but you will not be able to remove the front skid plate with the bumper on, unless you trim 1/2" off the skid plate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it sounds like that half inch trim is necessary on most skids. At least ricochet and bud built. It looks like I may need to upgrade the tool set, or find a fab shop.....

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks, it sounds like that half inch trim is necessary on most skids. At least ricochet and bud built. It looks like I may need to upgrade the tool set, or find a fab shop.....
I cut the plate with a sawzall, metal cutting blade. Not fancy, but no one can see it anyway, plus my skids look like they been through a war. You can get a Skill brand from Home Depot for $60, $10 for blades, plus you get a new tool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ruebarb, who doesn't want new tool? I actually have a sawzall, but I didn't think it had the power to get the job done. It's an older Craftsman battery powered, so it might be time to step up....
And by the way, that's a sick FJ you have there. Thanks for all of your "how to" threads. I already have the rocktek installation and light install links copied. Thanks for saving me a bunch of cash in labor. Now the tough part is pulling it all off as cleanly as you did.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks Ruebarb, who doesn't want new tool? I actually have a sawzall, but I didn't think it had the power to get the job done. It's an older Craftsman battery powered, so it might be time to step up....
And by the way, that's a sick FJ you have there. Thanks for all of your "how to" threads. I already have the rocktek installation and light install links copied. Thanks for saving me a bunch of cash in labor. Now the tough part is pulling it all off as cleanly as you did.
The battery powered may be enough, just buy the right blade, one for cutting 1/4" steel and go slow. The hardest part was anchoring the skid plate, to heavy for a vice, so I used a ratchet strap to the side of my work bench.

Thanks for the compliment, glad I could help. If you have questions, just ask.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I cut the plate with a sawzall, metal cutting blade. Not fancy, but no one can see it anyway, plus my skids look like they been through a war. You can get a Skill brand from Home Depot for $60, $10 for blades, plus you get a new tool.
X2 what ruebarb said....On my Ricochet bashplate, I had mine cut about 1/4" above the center mounting holes with a saw-zall and it fits nicely with about a 1/4" gap between the plate and bumper. Just so I wouldn't get any rub/squeak/damage issues. You'll have a nice shiny aluminum edge, hit it with a grinder, and rattle can the crap out of it and you'll be fine.......:rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I run the Smittybilt XRC8 winch in mine. No issues at all. Didn't have to re-clock it either, with full access to the lever from the front.

I'm still running the stock skid plate for now, as I've been waiting for the next group buy, or some sort of sale, but didn't have to do any trimming of the stocker.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have installed several of these, and I run one on my truck.. You will have to shave the skid back to about the start of the alignment pins. Also, you can run any 7-9.5k winch in this bumper as long as it is the drum type. The tall winches with the electronics built in will not fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's help on both topics. Now I have to show my stupidity... Drum vs. tall, so does that mean Warn M8000 and XD9000i are out? I don't do a ton of wheeling, so I don't need the best, but I want it to work when I need it. Tray runs the XRC8, which looks similar to the M8000. I just want to stick something in that will fit easily, work when I need it, and not cost more than the bumper.... Any advice is appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts