Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A large chunk of the Mojave was closed to motorized vehicles. Growing up as a kid I used to ride someplace over there, not sure exactly where. We the kids used to call this place the UFO landing strip. It was a dried out lake bed and light planes used to fly in and see their buds in the desert.

Today there is a proposal to make the outskirts of Joshua Tree National park the largest dump. Not sure where they think there going with that but what a waste. (no pun intended)

At any rate here is the link

Tell Secretary Salazar: Don't Trash Joshua Tree

act.credoaction.com
The world's largest garbage dump would border Joshua Tree National Park on three sides. The Department of the Interior has until Friday, February 25th to oppose the plan. Tell Secretary Ken Salazar: Protect Joshua Tree!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Places getting closed down everywhere... It's going to take many responsible people to organize and vote against certain legislation...Tread lightly has been about protecting our national lands and advocate the responsible use inorder to protect our rights...Too many A-Holes out there going off designated trails and causing enviormental damage and leaving trash and vandalizing signs and other sensitive things. Hope things start changing for the better...were loosing ground fast...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The place is Giant Rock. George Van Tassel used to run the place. He was a test pilot for Howard Hughes at one time. Went up to the place as a kid and there was a small restaurant there also. After he died the place was went to hell. Later years saw it used as a rave spot and that really trashed up the area. Final insult was after years of everyone building bonfires along the rock base it actually split in two.

Curt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the company has been trying to make that old Kaiser Steel mine on the east end of Joshua Tree Park a landfill for at least the past 10-15 years. I think they've got close a couple of times but then some agency shoots them down for one reason or another. They say the 3 large pits there could receive trash from all around the LA area for the next 100 years. It would involve daily train runs and over 200 18 wheeler size trucks a day dumping trash there. Those trucks and trains are going to smell bad and will likely be losing part of their loads during the 100+ mile daily round the clock trips. The company says they will stop the highly compressed trash mixture (you know, everything goes in the trash) from leaching into the ground water by covering the entire pit areas with a thick layer of some kind of plastic sheeting. How long do you think that will last? It's expected that the leaching would enter the ground water supply for cities such as Blythe and Indio within 50 years. The company doing this project would be very rich with the ever growing cities running out of room for their trash and the " Let's put it in someone else's back yard" attitude.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts