Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys started taking off the plastic exterior fender trims. The front was a piece of cake, just some bolts and push clips. The rear is a different story, no one's posted a tutorial for how to take off the flares so I thought I'd post to ask?

I started undoing the bolts and push clips. There was a bolt on the bottom of the front of the rear wheel well that was hard to get to, but after that I found a plastic plug that is attached to the metal fender next to the bolt and I could not for the life of me get it out, any suggestions on how to do this? Also the rear bumper has to be removed to take off the flare? If anyone has tips or even better pictures, please help me out? I will also be doing the shadow warrior rear trim method :rocker::cheers:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I forget exactly how they disconnect through at the very rear.. so your easiest bet would be to remove the rear bumper (piece of cake).. i think it's nine 10 mm bolts, one of those push pin things, and someone else i'm probably forgetting. You can probably get away with just loosening one side of the bumper though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You don't need to remove the rear bumper, just pop the rocker panels back to undo the plastic retainer clips hidden underneath, then are are a couple more bolts you access by crawling under the rear bumper

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys and there's also a plastic plug that i can't get out, it looks like a flat plastic circle on one side and it plugs into the fender, unlike the push clips, does anyone know what im talkin about? its similar to the plugs that hold the inner fender lining in the front

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a trail remove mine for me. :) I removed the rest of the bumper in order to re-install. What I remember was three or four tabs on the flare that were inserted into the bumper and a set of retaining tabs that held it in place along with double sided sticky tape. And no I am not kidding on the tape. I used All Pro's instructions to remove the bumper

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/Instructions/fjrearbumperinstructions.pdf

·
Registered
635 Posts
thanks guys and there's also a plastic plug that i can't get out, it looks like a flat plastic circle on one side and it plugs into the fender, unlike the push clips, does anyone know what im talkin about? its similar to the plugs that hold the inner fender lining in the front
pic would help, but i think you are talking about a plastic clip that has a inner push/plug. Take a thin blade and pull the inner push/plug out of the clip, this loosens the prongs on the clip so the whole thing can pop out.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
If I am not mistaken, this is the one that you'll have to cut off, since it is nearly impossible to cleanly remove. Some of the clips Toyota uses are one way and are even listed as one way in the parts catalogs.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
do you only have to pop just a bit of rocker panel to get to the bolt holding flare on ? should it just pop back on ? is it possible with cutting tool to just cut the flare where it attaches under rocker panel

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Got it,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts