Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help please before I blow a gasket after 3 days of two Toyota dealers, numerous phone calls and hours online, I still cannot come up with a part number for the seal that seats into the steering knuckle and goes over the end of the axle. It's NOT part # 90316-A0001 which is the inner seal that goes on the other side of the knuckle. This seal has and an OD of 4 1/8" and ID of 3 1/4 ". Please don't tell me that this is part of the stock original axle and is not available as a replacement part. :crying

http://im.toyota-4runner.org/attach...dentify-part-camerazoom-20150104174751739.jpg

http://im.toyota-4runner.org/attach...dentify-part-camerazoom-20150104174758646.jpg

http://im.toyota-4runner.org/attach...dentify-part-camerazoom-20150104174910853.jpg

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
34,685 Posts
Help please before I blow a gasket after 3 days of two Toyota dealers, numerous phone calls and hours online, I still cannot come up with a part number for the seal that seats into the steering knuckle and goes over the end of the axle. It's NOT part # 90316-A0001 which is the inner seal that goes on the other side of the knuckle. This seal has and an OD of 4 1/8" and ID of 3 1/4 ". Please don't tell me that this is part of the stock original axle and is not available as a replacement part. :crying
Try this link out. I just put in FJ Cruiser outer axle seal in the search function and these came up. You can try whatever you like in there if these don't work. Also I can just barely see them on my laptop, but if you look above the green lines to the left and click there, diagrams will come up for the parts. Also these guys are forum vendors so you can find their link on the forum too and they are good to work with.

https://www.sparksparts.com/?p=cata..._in=all&search_str=fj cruiser outer axle seal

Reactions: FJDogma

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I don't think that this available as a replacement part. In your 3rd picture you are holding the seal in place correct? IIRC that is part of the axle and not available as a separate part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of...yes in the third pic, that is correct. Reman axles don't come with this part either. :(

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Unfortunately, that seal is not available without buying a new cv shaft. I've been in that boat before. Even went to a local shop that rebuilds cv axles to see if they could get it, they searched and said no. I was able to remove it from the old cv and straighten it, yes it was a pain.

The good news is, that it's not really a seal, it's actually a dust shield and wiper to keep stuff off the inner knuckle seal (the one that goes on the inside of the spindle), so I don't believe it has to be perfect, just as long as it's not hitting the knuckle seal. If it's not perfect but not hitting the knuckle seal, it should be fine, though it may cause the knuckle seal to wear out sooner than normal. Haven't had any problems with mine. The hard part, and possible reason why it's not sold separate, is that it's difficult to reseat it without damaging it.

The dust shield on the inner side of the cv (the side going into the differential), is available and is part #41336-35020

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid of that...it boggles my mind that none of these Toyota dealerships could even figure out where and what the part was even when I was standing right in front of them with the part and pics. Thanks for giving me a solid answer...lucking only one is off so I will try and salvage that one back on because I don't need new axles yet. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thats odd. My new axles came with it. I bought cardone select. Id post a pic if I could figure out the iphone app

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Is this some model year specific part? My 2007 don’t have that kind of seal on the CV joint, only this outer seal on the knucle:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Is this some model year specific part? My 2007 don’t have that kind of seal on the CV joint, only this outer seal on the knucle:

It's not model specific, all FJs should have it. Are you sure you don't have it?

All new CVs come with it, only some remans don't have it and require you to transfer your old one

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It's not model specific, all FJs should have it. Are you sure you don't have it?
Sorry, not sure, not sure at all, although I have took them out twice. This pic looks familiar, not mine, so I assume I have it (looked different in OP’s pictures):

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Here is pic from my steering knuckle. Mine is installed on the inside of the knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
There should be one seal on the knuckle and another on the half shaft which face each other.

The one on the knuckle seals on the axle shaft. The one on the axle, seals against the seal on the knuckle.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry, not sure, not sure at all, although I have took them out twice. This pic looks familiar, not mine, so I assume I have it (looked different in OP’s pictures):
That "seal" on the cv in your pic is the one referred to in this thread. If you haven't changed cv's, then it's still there, they don't come off easily.

As I said before, it's not a seal, it's a dust shield and wiper to protect the knuckle seal (knuckle seal shown in @HERSOG pic posted above). I would consider it important to have, otherwise your knuckle seal could get damaged

Reactions: HERSOG

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yikes. $22 plus $15 shipping. That seller is nuts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The seal that presses onto the outboard end of the CV axle is Koyo W0133-1836168-KOY. Expensive at ~$22 each, but obtainable on Amazon and EBay. I recently bought a pair of used axles via LKQ and both arrived with these seals trashed, had a member on the 4Runner site point me to these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koyo-Front...ash=item466fc98e77:g:3CoAAOSwY~1aBjp9&vxp=mtr
That's awesome, Thanks for sharing.

Now that we have a part number, found they can be as cheap as $19 https://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/koyo-w01331836168-axle-seal

Here are the interchange part numbers from Koyo (they're all the same, just written differently)
W01331836168, W0133-1836168, W01331836168KOY, KOY1836168

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Wow, I searched searched the internet high and low for the past hour, glad I finally came across this thread! Thanks guys. $23.48 on Amazon with Prime shipping, not too terrible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to bring this up from the dead but I can't get the new seals from Toyota to fit. No matter what I try it is not happening. The part number of the seal is 90312-96001. Is it possible that these are the wrong seals? They look the same and are very similar in shape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The part # you need is Toyota 90304-A0001
I got mine on Amazon using the Koyo# in this thread, when they arrived it had the Toyota# on the package.

Koyo Wheel Seal Dust seal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T0OAS8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

This # doesn’t show up as FJ compatible, but they WILL fit an OEM FJ/4Runner/Taco axle. I’m not sure why Toyota doesn’t use this # in the FJ listing, but part# 90304-A0001 is IDENTICAL to what you will find on an OEM FJ axle.
Be careful installing these....you can bend them up pretty easily. I used the old dust seal from the knuckle/spindle side as an installer. There is a similar thread over @ tacomaworld about this.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts