Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wheeling with my buddies in my 2012 fj and I got a feeling I should look under my car and I find a whole lot of oil around the oil pan and on the transmission fluid pan. Haven’t found oil anywhere else. Can someone help me identify the problem or has had the problem before?
Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Bumper Gas
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Bumper Gas
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
1. How many miles on the odometer?
2. Check fluid levels: engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid;
3. Was the oil changed recently? Who performed the last oil filter replacement?
The O-ring for the oil filter housing can be easily installed in the incorrect location and will result in an oil leak at the lower front of the engine, that will get blown back on everything behind the oil filter, exactly like your photos.
4. Thoroughly spray-wash the entire underside of engine and transmission. then get under the vehicle and inspect at 10 mile, 25 mile, 50 mile, and 100 mile intervals so you can pinpoint the actual origin of the leak

Once you know exactly where the leak originates, you can determine how to correct it.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. How many miles on the odometer?
2. Check fluid levels: engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid;
3. Was the oil changed recently? Who performed the last oil filter replacement?
The O-ring for the oil filter housing can be easily installed in the incorrect location and will result in an oil leak at the lower front of the engine, that will get blown back on everything behind the oil filter, exactly like your photos.
4. Thoroughly spray-wash the entire underside of engine and transmission. then get under the vehicle and inspect at 10 mile, 25 mile, 50 mile, and 100 mile intervals so you can pinpoint the actual origin of the leak

Once you know exactly where the leak originates, you can determine how to correct it.
Thank you for the response. There are 135000 miles on it.
Power steering and engine oil are all good haven’t checked the trans being that it is a sealed system and am going to need a moment to check it.
The oil was changed by a dealer ship a while ago I’m sure it’s probably coming up on another change soon. I’ll keep track of it until then.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. There are 135000 miles on it.
Power steering and engine oil are all good haven’t checked the trans being that it is a sealed system and am going to need a moment to check it.
The oil was changed by a dealer ship a while ago I’m sure it’s probably coming up on another change soon. I’ll keep track of it until then.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that the breather for the transmission is now hanging to the side of it. Awhile back I did a breather mod to it and moved it higher in the engine bay. It is no longer connected to the tube I connected it to and the end of the tube looks like it might of been melted through. Could it be possible that transition fluid ran up the tube and melted it. The Tube was above that area originally.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I noticed that the breather for the transmission is now hanging to the side of it. Awhile back I did a breather mod to it and moved it higher in the engine bay. It is no longer connected to the tube I connected it to and the end of the tube looks like it might of been melted through. Could it be possible that transition fluid ran up the tube and melted it. The Tube was above that area originally.
Probably not ... under all normal operating conditions there is only a tiny volume of air moving up and out of the transmission breather as the air in the transmission housing heats up and expands. The only time you'd see any fluid coming out of the breather is if the transmission cooler in the radiator developed a pinhole leak, and pressurized engine coolant was forced into the transmission, causing it to 'overflow'.

The color and location of the oil film in your photos looks much more like dirty engine oil than pink ATF.

The most common sources of oil leakage at the lower front of the engine are from incorrectly installed O-rings at the filter housing, or an omitted O-ring at the filter housing drain plug at the bottom of the housing.

The problem with service people incorrectly installing the O-ring on the filter housing has become so severe that Toyota is now printing a warning on the oil filter box highlighting the correct location.

The correct O-ring location is shown in illustration 'a', in the O-ring groove right at the end of the threads, where it functions as a gland seal. The greater the oil pressure, the tighter the seal.

The incorrect location is against the shoulder on the housing, in illustration 'b'. Here it functions as a partially supported gasket, and will blow out at high pressure or temperature, dumping all the engine oil very quickly.
Rectangle Gesture Automotive exterior Font Parallel

At 135K miles, I'm hoping you have already had all 12 quarts of transmission fluid changed out? If not. that should be a top priority service task.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably not ... under all normal operating conditions there is only a tiny volume of air moving up and out of the transmission breather as the air in the transmission housing heats up and expands. The only time you'd see any fluid coming out of the breather is if the transmission cooler in the radiator developed a pinhole leak, and pressurized engine coolant was forced into the transmission, causing it to 'overflow'.

The color and location of the oil film in your photos looks much more like dirty engine oil than pink ATF.

The most common sources of oil leakage at the lower front of the engine are from incorrectly installed O-rings at the filter housing, or an omitted O-ring at the filter housing drain plug at the bottom of the housing.

The problem with service people incorrectly installing the O-ring on the filter housing has become so severe that Toyota is now printing a warning on the oil filter box highlighting the correct location.

The correct O-ring location is shown in illustration 'a', in the O-ring groove right at the end of the threads, where it functions as a gland seal. The greater the oil pressure, the tighter the seal.

The incorrect location is against the shoulder on the housing, in illustration 'b'. Here it functions as a partially supported gasket, and will blow out at high pressure or temperature, dumping all the engine oil very quickly.
View attachment 1175104

At 135K miles, I'm hoping you have already had all 12 quarts of transmission fluid changed out? If not. that should be a top priority service task.
Yes the 12 quarts have been changed out completely. This is 50 miles in from cleaning the underside. It appears that the oil is coming from the passenger side where the seal is.
Automotive tire Tire Helmet Automotive lighting Vehicle
It’s not a lot so far definitely a bit of a leak. I’m guessing this has been something I haven’t noticed and it’s been going on for awhile.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sorry to say, that looks like the rear main bearing seal let go on your engine. It's definitely oil due to it's color, not trans fluid and it's coming out from inside the bell housing and spreading along the oil pan and being blown back along the transmission as you drive. I had a Jeep that had the same issue and the oil spread looked exactly the same as your FJ and my model Jeep engine was notorious for rear main seals leaks. Not the FJ, but not unheard of either with any high mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts