Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm building my 2nd Fj(2014 manual), and I want the best ground clearance possible. My current Fj Runs ARB skid plates and rock rails. The plate under the transfer case and crossmember is thick, I lose about 1.5+ inches of clearance. It is my trucks biggest weakness performance wise. The front of the engine skid plate sticks out forward far further than seems necessary. The rock rails are easily 2.5+ inches thick. I need good protection, I wheel in Moab a lot. I want skid plates that are very low profile, minimal sized, but strong enough. I read something about tucking components up(bud built)? I'm sticking with factory bumpers. What about protecting the bottom of the back bumper? Does anyone just drag the back bumper then replace with salvage yard bumper when it's time to sell? I decided on the OME BP-51 suspension kit. A smooth ride is my highest priority, health issues. I appreciate any help I can get, thanks for your time!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Bumper that I made. No problem with dragging anymore
Hey there fellow Oregonian. That looks pretty epic. I'm not sure I want to do the bumper though. I hardly ever get caught up on the rear bumper, plus I don't want to add the weight. I'll keep it in mind though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey there fellow Oregonian. That looks pretty epic. I'm not sure I want to do the bumper though. I hardly ever get caught up on the rear bumper, plus I don't want to add the weight. I'll keep it in mind though...
This may help with protecting the rear end a bit, without swapping out bumper
Just plug in to your hitch should add some protection while on the trails
Purefjcruiser dot com is where I seen it
It may work out For ya in some situations

·
Desert Moderator
6,965 Posts
More skid plates, more weight & less clearance.
8mm aluminium is lighter than steel, doesn't rust, and is relatively cheap.
My locally built & bought laser cut 8mm Aluminium skid (radiator to back of engine) cost me about $300 fitted.
Add another for the transmission and you're golden.
if you want to protect against scraping, thin (1.5mm) aluminium plate is cheap, and can easily be bent (hammered to shape) around components (e.g. the bottom of frame rails, bottom of your bumper) and fixed in place with stainless cable ties or screws.. Paint it black, and no-one will even know that it is there.
That hitch skid looks great for the rear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I might be wrong but I thought the ARB skid plates had a higher ground clearance in general because they don't cover as much undercarriage as other brands. The ARB may hang down more in the 2 reinforced areas but the other sections are pretty tucked up. See comparison pics here. If you are really dragging over rocks alot, you will want one of the other skid plates that offer more coverage. Expect to drag at times on difficult trails no matter the skid plate.

As others have mentioned larger tires, probably 35"s are what you want for maximum clearance. Will need to do BMC and some other minor cutting. You may want to re-gear too.

If you don't have a lift yet get one so you can fit the larger tires. 2.5-3" max in front and I'd go 2" rear if you have a 2.5" front and up to 2.5" rear if you have a 3" front. This does lift the rear up a little higher vs 1.5" rear springs so you will have less dragging on the hitch but you will have a rake just like factory if you use the taller rear spring.

Lastly are you actually hitting your stock rear bumper or just the hitch? Hitting the hitch is a good thing vs the bumper as it protects the rear. It looks like you have an aftermarket hitch which may have less clearance than the stock hitch however it offers a better towing solution for certain types of towing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts