Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I have a 2 1/2' 1/2" drive breaker bar that I bought for $9.95; it's the beans.. I also have a Goodyear 1/2" cordless impact wrench ($79) that is very nice for such things. I won't use an impact wrench for tightening anything, but I will use it to loosen things. Always use a 6-point impact socket in the correct size, of course. Ron

So I've been coming across bolts lately that are torqued to high, plus in awkward positions, making it impossible for me to get out by hand.
for instance, I could not get the rear lower link bolts to budge. The manual said they are torqued to 96 lbs. I even tried jacking up the truck, and using it's weight to turn it.

My question is, with out having an air compressor, is there a tool I can use for this? some sort of high torque electrical drill or something??

Thanks this is all new to me.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Bump!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Be careful using the torque wrench to loosen the bolt. You can really damage it and it will no longer be accurate-especially if it's from HF! :roller:

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
:thinkerg: If all of the fine previous suggests should fail you...

In desperation and in the absence of the proper hammer, you might use a bfr in conjunction with the vice grips... :rofl:

I once changed the wheel bearings on my Mazda B2200 with a Leatherman Multi-tool and a bfr... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
First off... 96 ft pounds of torque isn't a lot.

That's about this tight:

"UUNGHHH!!!"

250 foot pounds is a lot, but you can still do it with a big torque wrench and a big counter wrench to support the other side. 250 is about this tight:

"GAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!!!"

I've got a pair of kingpins on my project rig that may need replacement... they're torqued to 650 foot pounds.

I have no reference point for 650.

If my air impact can't do it... I'm afraid I'll explode a testicle, trying to do it by hand.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've got a pair of kingpins on my project rig that may need replacement... they're torqued to 650 foot pounds.

If my air impact can't do it... I'm afraid I'll explode a testicle, trying to do it by hand.
Actually for 250lbs it's more like "@#!*".

I can see you rigging up some kind of hydraulic setup. I know you're looking forward to it. :D

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Bump!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
:ninja:The cheater is the cheapest tool for the job, but if room is an issue, I insist the best tool is the torque multiplier. Now, where is NCFJ? :boohoo:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
96 ft pounds seems like a lot when I'm lying on my back with no room, and really only able to grab the breaker bar with one hand:)

thanks for all the help!

First off... 96 ft pounds of torque isn't a lot.

That's about this tight:

"UUNGHHH!!!"

250 foot pounds is a lot, but you can still do it with a big torque wrench and a big counter wrench to support the other side. 250 is about this tight:

"GAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!!!"

·
Registered
474 Posts
AIr tools revolutionized my wrenching. Save up or ask for christmas. I only have a small craftsman tank and compressor with an impact wrench and it does most jobs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts