Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am looking at buying an 7 x 14 dual axle enclosed trailer to haul my tracked can am outlander atv. 1000Lbs would be max weight ever with snow and all. Here are the all aluminum trailer specs.
- GVWR: 6 990 lbs
- Dry Weight: 1 990 lbs
- Payload: 4 850 lbs

I don't ever plan on carrying more weight then my atv but need the length as my tracks are the long track style. I want enclosed so I can store my atv in there in the winter. I will never come close to the max towing capacity of the fj. The numbers look good but will this bag the rear suspension or give me other towing issues. I don't mind upgrading the rear suspension or adding airbags. I hope somebody has some real experience and can help me out here.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
How long is the trailer, and what's the tongue weight?

FJ's relatively short wheelbase is not ideal for towing, but 3K lb should not be too bad. Air bags in the rear may be required to keep from blinding oncoming traffic at night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long is the trailer, and what's the tongue weight?

FJ's relatively short wheelbase is not ideal for towing, but 3K lb should not be too bad. Air bags in the rear may be required to keep from blinding oncoming traffic at night.
7ft wide 14ft long.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Keep to the 500 lb max tounge weight you'll be fine.

I tow a 4 place sled trailer , we focus on balancing the load to a point where 1 person could easily hook/unhook the trailer. Towslike dream.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tow my boat 4hrs round trip and it weighs a little over 2100# all in. I never thought gas mileage was to bad but its a different profile. This trailer is a little over 10k to buy that's why I am asking. Maybe time to move on from fj. Dam that sucks!!!
Pic is for reference not purchasing from there.

·
Admin
7,125 Posts
I have some heavy duty coils in the back.... But I also have piles of weight....including steel rear bumper.

I doubt you will have any issues.... Swapping coils out is about as easy as it can get too if needed.

Definitely have electric brakes on the trailer.... I'm sure you already have that covered though.

Don't give up on the FJ yet! Lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trans cooler and a scanguage are good. I tow a 16ft single axle TT 3079 dry, near 3600 fitted up and down (sorry from CA) the 5, 15, and 395 and into the mountains. Trans temp never been above 215 even at 10K ft (Tioga Pass). I’m running Icon Stage 3 springs in back w HD sway bar links, stiff aftermarket control arms. It’s never been scary pulling me around but it is a absolute DOG. Times I get 8-9 MPG. Thanks Toyota for a 17 gal tank! So it handles great/fine w the trailer but my regular ride is crappy. Only way I IMHO could safely make a 1200-1500 mile fam trip. Im getting a F250 as well, taking this thing back softer rather than have a jack of all trades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. I am looking at buying an 7 x 14 dual axle enclosed trailer to haul my tracked can am outlander atv. 1000Lbs would be max weight ever with snow and all. Here are the all aluminum trailer specs.
- GVWR: 6 990 lbs
- Dry Weight: 1 990 lbs
- Payload: 4 850 lbs

I don't ever plan on carrying more weight then my atv but need the length as my tracks are the long track style. I want enclosed so I can store my atv in there in the winter. I will never come close to the max towing capacity of the fj. The numbers look good but will this bag the rear suspension or give me other towing issues. I don't mind upgrading the rear suspension or adding airbags. I hope somebody has some real experience and can help me out here.
My ‘08 6MT pulled a 1969 Mustang with v8 3,800lbs on a trailer across Texas through the hill country with no problems. Also pulled 215 Tahoe center console for several years. I have AFE cold air intake with OME 895 Springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around. With the OME spring, no droop at all with either trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I pull a 16 ft tandem axle utility trailer carrying a 4 seat side x side, just a guess, but it’s probably just under/over 3000 lbs. it’s a dog and I wouldn’t want to pull anything heavier. I also have a 08 with manual transmission. Stock suspension is good with about 250-300 lbs tongue weight. Although I don’t have a brake controller I do recommend having trailer brakes with anything over 1000 lbs. Nick.

·
Admin
7,125 Posts
I saw a yellow FJ pulling a red enclosed trailer.... Figured it might be you @Truenorthfj

The FJ looked totally level... No issues there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou for all your help. Here are a couple of pics. Fj is bone stock suspension wise. I pulled it home which consists of city and highway travell. In the city tows great. In the city it tows like my boat no issues at all. On the day I brought it home it was really windy . I did notice the drag at hwy speeds. 99 percent of the hwy speed limits here are 100 kph or 60 mph. I can cruise along at 60mph but don't know about 75 or more mph. It may be a little bit to much to ask. I didn't notice the fuel economy being complete crap but will know better when I tow it on the hwy only. Are there better towing rigs for a trailer this size absolutely. Can the fj pull it with out being a complete **** show I don't see why not. I will re-evaluate when I take it out on a real hwy trip and update . thanks again!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts