Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 with 110k on it. I just swapped out my outer tie rods and replaced my CV axle as well as my front driver side wheel bearing (passenger side was done a few months ago). all this was done on Friday. I plan on getting an alignment tonight. Now I know that I need to get one done regardless, but I noticed a vibration while accelerating and veering left on my way into work today. It almost sounds/feels as if the tire is rubbing (which it is not). I haven't had this problem before so it's frustrating that I am unable to locate the source of the problem. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or should I wait until I get the alignment to see if that fixes it? (knowing my luck the alignment wont fix it)

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
I have a 2007 with 110k on it. I just swapped out my outer tie rods and replaced my CV axle as well as my front driver side wheel bearing (passenger side was done a few months ago). all this was done on Friday. I plan on getting an alignment tonight. Now I know that I need to get one done regardless, but I noticed a vibration while accelerating and veering left on my way into work today. It almost sounds/feels as if the tire is rubbing (which it is not). I haven't had this problem before so it's frustrating that I am unable to locate the source of the problem. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or should I wait until I get the alignment to see if that fixes it? (knowing my luck the alignment wont fix it)
There's every chance an alignment will fix it. Have a look at the tires to see if there is any unusual scuffing/wear and limit the miles until you can get it aligned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really driven it this weekend. which is probably why I only noticed it today while on my way to work. If the alignment fixes it, great. If not, well I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully its something simple. Sounds silly but are the lugs tight to the wheels?
As of Friday they were to spec. Drove home, re-tightened. I can give that another shot but i doubt its that. I don't blame you for asking though haha sometimes it is that simple.

·
Desert Moderator
6,715 Posts
Does it have spacers? Are they centred?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it have spacers? Are they centred?
Yes and yes. Im thinking that i may have lost some diff fluid while removing the old CV. That would explain the vibrations. Its more prominent when accelerating while slightly turning left. the lack of fluid may be causing the teeth on the spindle to grind slightly. Oh and the alignment did not help. So my next COA is to drain the remaining fluid and throw some high end gear fluid in there. and probably rotate and balance my tires. and then go back to firestone and get another alignment.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe another bearing?
I replaced that bearing with all the other work I did this weekend. I highly doubt its the bearing. And it only sounds/feels strange while slightly turning left and accelerating. If it was the bearing it would be while braking, turning right ect.

Reactions: FatJohnson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried that. Thinking it may be the ball joint on my UCA. Im planning on installing new ones soon. hopefully that was it and thatll be the end of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would that cause vibrating only in one direction? its only while veering left and the vibrations become more violent the harder left i pull. Its become quite the frustration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat. At first I thought it was the rear hub. I put on new controle arms that didn't fit and drove it for 2k miles. Replaced the rear hub. Dint fix it. I have new upper controle arms(tc), 3 inch lift, 33's, diff drop. Aligned and rotated and balanced. No spacers. Ran great 10k on lift until a month ago. When I accelerate when turning left the fj vibrates. I don't feel it in the steering wheel. If u figure it out let me know please. I'm all ready 1500 into it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am having the same issue and just started a thread on it. mine i getting worst. i just put the aftermarket UCA's on mine. so the ball joints are good. by looking at i want to say its the cv axles are binding up but both sides look the same and it only does it turning left. i need help on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts

did you ever solve this issue? i am asking cause i am having the same issue. today i jacked up my front end and tried turning my tires passenger and a little bind to it but my driver side would turn then bind up and wouldnt go any futher no matter how hard i tried so. my COA is to put new axles in and throw a 1 inch diff drop kit in. let me know what you found.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found any solution to this. I’m also experiencing the same issue.

i am having the same issue and just started a thread on it. mine i getting worst. i just put the aftermarket UCA's on mine. so the ball joints are good. by looking at i want to say its the cv axles are binding up but both sides look the same and it only does it turning left. i need help on this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts