Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed yesterday a sound emanating from driver side wheel I can only describe as sounding like a boiling cauldron of bolts at a hard left turn. Searched here, but I'm assuming it to be a CV shaft/joint. Diagnoses isn't really the issue.

Called service at purchasing dealer, and he stated sounded like cv issue, before looking up my file, said it's covered under the 5/60k, as it's drivetrain. Gave him specifics to schedule drop off time, and after looking at file, said it probably wouldn't be covered under Toyota, but should under the extended I purchased, that I have deductible for. When I asked why, he said because it was lifted, and I had exceeded the weight specifications with the aftermarket bumpers and other "extreme off road gear" (sliders, skids, I'm assuming).

Here's the deal. They lifted it. I went with there recommended lift kit (which is coming off) so that it didn't void any warranty. I all but bought ARB bumpers and a winch from them, under the same pretext as not voiding warranty, but couldn't ever seem to get reply from their accessory division (glad about now, as the EXP One are worth the service glares).

I've read several post, here, about the fact that there is documentable proof, from Toyota, that aftermarket accessories don't void warranty, unless proof of extreme abuse, which hasn't occurred, but I can't find through any searches that are capable on IPhone/autoguide.

Any ideas? Any experiences with service, in regards to similar situation, that were favorable to y'all?

Now I feel like I bought a Ford again.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I would go above his head to the general manager. The dealership near my house lifts FJ's and Tundras all the time and sells them new lifted. How much is the deductible? Do the bumpers and sliders really exceed the weight specifications? If he does run it through the after market warranty make sure he did that and didn't just pocket the deductible.

I'm also curious if the after market warranty pays more per hour than standard toyota warranty?

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
If you are lifted, then a worn cv can be attributed to the lift and to the larger tires... Sorry...

Some dealers will cover things tho... Pot luck really....

If someone told you that you were still covered under warranty when the work was done with the mods at their service center, it should be written on your invoices for the work... Otherwise you need to track the person down and discuss it with them..

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The deductible is $97, but negligible, all things considered. Paid $2,200.00 for warranty, with the understanding that it picked up after the 5/60k ran out. It was purchased as Toyota Certified, paid the premium for that alone, then paid a huge mark up on the procomp lift vMy concern is what will result after I remove the Procomp they installed, and replace with the King's I'm ordering now. I added the EXP One front and rear bumpers, and sliders. They were going to install ARB of the same, and winch, all if which exceeds the additional weight the "extreme off road gear" I've added weighs. I've found my email string with salesman, and accessory rep (who is general managers daughter) stating that lifting at dealership wouldn't have any affect to warranty, but may not be worth the computer screen it's wrote on.

The only reference I can find about aftermarket accessory/vehicle warranty here is a reference to a SEMA publication. Not the publication, nor any if the other references I know I've seen.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are lifted, then a worn cv can be attributed to the lift and to the larger tires... Sorry...

Some dealers will cover things tho... Pot luck really....

If someone told you that you were still covered under warranty when the work was done with the mods at their service center, it should be written on your invoices for the work... Otherwise you need to track the person down and discuss it with them..
I kind of expected being mislead, in respect to warranty coverage issue,when I bought. I knew better than to buy the Pro Comp, and knew that someday, this was going to be an issue, but they have a lifted, do bumpered, winched with 33's on lot now with Toyota Certified on windshield. If they'd have told me, upfront, that lifting was going to be a struggle to warranty components later on, I still would have lifted, just not their product at their astronomical price.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs:
Is Using the Dealer a Must?
If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

What is a warranty?

A warranty is a promise, often made by a manufacturer, to stand behind its product or to fix certain defects or malfunctions over a period of time. The warranty pays for any covered repairs or part replacements during the warranty period.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still amazed at the incredibly informative folks I've encountered here. Thanks FJ&TJ Dude.

Good info, for sure. If I interpret verbiage, correctly, then merely modifying isn't cause for, unless proven to be cause of, in regards to warranty nullification.

That being said, in this case, there's still a warranty on the ProComp lift they installed so, if it's the cause, they should "man up" and cover the resulting component failure.

I really don't want to be the guy service hates to see, but do want what I bought to be honored.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a thirty minute test drive with tech trying to locate the "cauldron of boiling bolts" sound, after ruling out an cv issues, it's been located as the front attachment point for the EXP One sliders. Talk about feeling stupid. I went over every bumper attachment point, front and rear, took if all skids, drove in every wheel position possible, and it turned out to be the front mounting bolts backed out in slider. I'm a stooge.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
No stooge.

You had an expierence and learned from it.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Did they install them or you? If you did I would send the service dept three EX large Pizzas tomorrow as a big thank you and OOOppps My bad;)

Happens to the best of us and to man up and follow up here is cool to dude..

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Tough I realize this is irrelevant now, but to touch on what Bandi and FJ&TJ Dude said.

Yes, the M&M act does protect you, to a degree. A major reason for it's existence is the monopolization of maintenance of your car. If you buy a Toyota and Toyota says, you have to use OEM Toyota parts, and you have to have them installed by a certified Toyota dealership, including oil changes and other routine maintenance, you damn right you're going to go to them because you don't want to void your warranty. Well now that they have created this situation where you have to go to them, they can now charge what they see fit, and don't have to worry about competition. So the M&M act will definitely cover your ass, but it's not perfect.

As stated (but not highlighted) in the text that FJ&TJ Dude put up there they do not have to cover something on your warranty if, they can prove that the part lead to the problem. This is very easy to do with a lifted vehicle. Everything is precisely engineered, including the angle of your CV axles. Once you lift it, and put bigger tires on, honestly regardless of what the dealership says or promises, (my dealership promised every time I start my FJ a naked Al Gore would appear and dance comically for me, covered under warranty. Still no Gore.) you've changed the angle of your CV axles, and this will lead to an early death. It's very well documented so it is no problem to prove. Some places will cover it, some wont. As Bandi said, it's luck of the drawl.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The service department called after the isolating and said they were trying to get ilpreowned to pay for service. Original paperwork showed step bars (predators which I'm trying to get rid of) and they would take care of. I was surprised. Not as surprised as he was when I told him I installed, and I was on the hook to pay for the 1.5 hours if techs time.

My only request was that he keep it quiet, and not to laugh at me when I paid.

Here's the thing that gets me. I had just joined here before buying vehicle. I never would've gone Pro Comp if it hadn't been presented as warranty-able, based on posts. After negotiations, it's hard to put a specific dollar amount on, but installed, they charged $1,100 for lift. That's half if what the King invoice I owe for is. Went with the BFG's they spec's as non voiding, and paid the premium for, as well. I bought the FJ to modify it. Just feel a little mislead (actually I'm smarter than that. I should've heeded my own warnings) but it's all a non-issue at this point.

On the same lot, and I have pics, they have a certified preowned with Total Chaos suspension, completely modded Sun Fusion that's spotting new Coopers and rims ( love to see what they took off) that's been rode hard. Inner fender wells are wore to bare metal, interior is trashed for 26k. When I asked service about, out of curiosity, he replied "it passed Toyota's certification and that doesn't mean that the warranty covers the aftermarket parts, nor the resulting failure to OEM parts due to aftermarket parts". I wish I would've talked to him before.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I would've been beating a war drum about a naked Palin, or h. Clinton dancing, but would've gone to Jeep dealership if the words naked Gore were even uttered. Ha.

Thanks to all of y'all. I can't believe what an invaluable resource the members of this forum are. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I was thinking about making a bj joke, but figured it would be to risqué for this site, so I went with something so ridiculous that nobody would even dream of picturing it.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking about making a bj joke, but figured it would be to risqué for this site, so I went with something so ridiculous that nobody would even dream of picturing it.
I was worried for a minute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts