Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Black FJ Cruiser (Kiki)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I seem to have into an issue with my 2010 FJ's factory roof rack. One of the rack feet (front passenger) is not secured to the roof because the receiver of one of the t-20 bolts has broken loose and fell into the interior lining of the car. Due to a metal plating running on the inside (to protect RSC airbags I presume), the backing to the bolt is inaccessible and I'm not quite sure how to fix it. Any suggestions for how to go about this issue?
Thanks in advance, Evan
FJRack1.png

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
113 Posts
Is the other bolt on the foot still secure? Or at least, still attached?

This little guy is underneath the feet. It could be it isn't lined up with the bolt hole of the loose bolt. It is held in place by a cheap little bracket which easily falls away if you try removing the bolts incorrectly. If the bracket isn't there holding this part on, the part can rotate under the roof, making it difficult to thread both bolts. However, if one of the bolts is still attached, you can carefully use it to rotate the other nut/bolt receiver on the arm into place. Backing the secured bolt out could drop this assembly onto your headliner. Hopefully you can rotate the secured bolt in the tightening rotation. A flash light may help to see or place a small screw driver in the hole to "feel" if this part rotates and hits the screw driver. The only other alternative I am aware of is removing the headliner so you can get at the part above. I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have questions or maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Black FJ Cruiser (Kiki)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your feedback, I will have to try all of this out soon. @Chance3 the other bolt is not attached (I removed all of the torx bolts together when removing the entire rack) I will try to spot this piece from above and try prodding with a screwdriver. If not, I guess I must try the headliner method.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
113 Posts
If you do have to remove the headliner, it isn't the end of the world....a pain in the ass, but not too horrible. Good luck either way!

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
386 Posts
Not sure if this will work but you may be able to use a wing nut type set up. In marine applications they use them for things like bolting a seat where you can’t get to the back of an area. The wings are spring-loaded you push it through and the wings spread out giving you something to connect to typically made of stainless steel.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is a detailed step by step on removing the headliner:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts