Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently trying to install the sliders, but was not sent the relocation brackets. When I talked to the president about it, it was a whole ordeal with him claiming that it was too simple a task for anyone to have actually written instructions for, and ended with him insulted me with his condescending attitude and claiming it was not necessary.

A cursory inspections makes it look like it is pretty necessary because these sliders use both upper and lower bolt holes, and has braces welded to the struts. I am not really content with just leaving the cable flopping around either, so that is not a viable solution.

Can anyone weigh in on the best solutions here? With the already nonexistent quality control on hardware going out the door, not being sent necessary parts, and now the president of the company not caring, I am not expecting Prange Boxx to help me solve this.

And no, I have not actually made the attempt to install yet. I am 100% disabled for a reason, and just don't have the energy to do this half a dozen times trying to get it right, so i am trying to make sure i have everything ready to go the first time.

A year ago when I still had access to a machine shop this would be far less of an issue. Being severely limited in access to tools though is making this a pain to solve in my area due to pandemic restrictions.

I really appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Had a similar experience with them.

Have you tried this? Right from their website.

Instructions for install
These are presented to you after you have made your order for download. Please do so at that time. we do not ship instructions with order. It is a waste of paper. We are a GREEN company. If you missed that window after payment and conformation page. Simply sign in to the website with the email you used for your order.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a similar experience with them.

Have you tried this? Right from their website.

Yes. I wrote to get the torque values. The other three items I ordered had manuals in my profile on the site (which had to be found, no link was ever sent).

The president of the company replied with this when I requested the instructions for the torque values.

We feel that the rock sliders are self explanatory. If you feel you need instructions for them I will write it up for you.
Which is not only condescending, but untrue.

In the instructions he begrudgingly eventually sent it is very clear about the bracket.

Just in front of the rearmost leg, you MUST install the parking brake relocation tab. Unbolt the factory bracket and reuse the bolt to install the new tab so that the stud is at the top. Then, place the factory bracket on the stud and use the 5/16” lock washer and nut secure.
The emphasis on must is their's, not mine.

When I pointed this out, he got pretty rude and told me to just use the factory ones, which do not look like they are going to work.

And according to the instructions he supposedly wrote for me right there on the spot, the longer brackets are necessary.

So I have no idea what this guy's problem is.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Jeez, for $726 you'd expect a little more attention to detail, and lots of apologies if they omitted vital parts.

I know that with All-Pro sliders the re-location brackets for the parking brake cables are absolutely necessary, I assume that the same is true with the OB sliders.

From the OB website:
"Orange Box Fabrication promise"
"Experience the quality of our products. We guarantee our products to fit and perform."

Do you recall the name of the person you spoke with?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I'd let them know, politely but firmly, that your sliders were missing vital components and that they need to ship the missing parts ASAP so you can complete your installation, and live up to their Mission Statement.

Was your communication with OB via phone, email, or both?

Anybody can get behind the keyboard and send messages from "the Presidents" email account, but voice communication with someone who stated he was the president is pretty specific.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all on email so far, but seeing as they seem to think I am going to just stretch my brake cable over the rails I think I am stuck installing these as far as I can to demonstrate the ability to do this to myself, or inability to do so to them.

I suspect they stopped sending the hardware to save money, and stopped sending the instructions so that people would stop asking for the missing hardware. My own experience with other items in the order being incorrect, corroded, bolts just spray painted black, spacers being drilled off center and crooked, and what I am reading online means this is a company that should probably be removed from the guides on this board (where I found the company in the first place). Had I been warned of the way these guys treat customers, I would not have ordered anything from them at all.

After seeing stuff like this, I cannot just not recommend them to people, I feel like I need to make sure people know ahead of time what they are getting into. It is a shame because the main pieces of equipment like the sliders themselves or molle panels themselves are nice, but the actual implementation, documentation, lack of attention to detail, just makes it not worth it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankyou for pointing that out, I will give that a shot. That may be what he is trying to get me to do without actually explaining it at all.

According to the directions he sent, he used to have a very different opinion on whether the relocation bracket was necessary.

I am wondering if he wrote the instructions, then realized there was a workaround, but instead of rewriting them, he just stopped letting people have them so they would stop asking for the missing parts. I just hope I do not have to try to do this too many time alone to get it to work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a very similar and unpleasant experience, email is best as I can tell you the "president" is not very good on the phone. I think for some of these smaller fabrication shops all the communication can be difficult for them to deal with. I just removed my factory sliders and was thinking of different options myself. Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I had a very similar and unpleasant experience, email is best as I can tell you the "president" is not very good on the phone. I think for some of these smaller fabrication shops all the communication can be difficult for them to deal with. I just removed my factory sliders and was thinking of different options myself. Good luck
Similar situation, similar response, worse outcome.....almost 5 years ago. Doesn't sounds like anything has changed.

·
Registered
2007 Fj Cruiser
37 Posts
Good to know, don’t buy from OB. Us Canadians would be even more screwed with our stupid 49th parallel product price amplifier. I wish we had the same prices you guys do down there, would actually make things more affordable and justifiable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Lol, orange boxx is pretty famous for their abysmal customer service, thanks to the thread below. I cringe every time I see someone post about buying something from them.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Regarding the Orange Boxx owner's absurd rant on the 4Runner forum (link above), what an absolute moron. The unbelievable sh!t quality of the crudely thrown-together replacement bracket, intended to replace the unusable bracket that was originally provided with the customer's OB product, tells me all I need to know about Orange Boxx.

For anyone at OB to argue that there is no problem with the bracket, given the OP's photos of the gross dimensional mismatch between bracket and the mounting holes in the vehicle, is ludicrous.

Now I see why the OP in this thread was reluctant to try to pursue a reasonable solution with OB.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I see why the OP in this thread was reluctant to try to pursue a reasonable solution with OB.
Exactly. I am pretty much just trying to avoid wasting time and effort trying to mount these things multiple times. A man has got **** to do, you know?

Like finished putting the ADD actuator back together so I can put my front diff back in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just another update, There definitely needs to be an extender on my truck for the parking brake cable to be properly mounted.

The instructions say this.

The president of orange boxx is refusing to send me the parts that his instructions say are necessary, and telling me to just fab up new brackets if I want to finish the installation/

I cannot believe how unprofessional this guy is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so happy I found this thread. I have multiple items from orange box and I have had the most excruciatingly terrible and exhausting experience of my life trying to deal with Darrell and Samantha. The things he would say to me in his emails were belittling, bullying, and even threatening at times. They we’re just out right unprofessional. He cannot admit when he’s wrong and will do anything to either blame you or blame someone else for why things aren’t working. I would send pictures of evidence, of screenshots, of messages, that disputed everything he was saying. For him to ignore it and continue to tell me why it’s my fault. If you guys could only know the half of what I am still dealing with currently with his company you would be apalled. It’s at the point where he told me he was going to delete my account take all my points away (which I had over 1000) and block all my email emails and block my number. He went as far as to accuse me of harassing him. He also said I needed to stop contacting him because I sent several emails none of which were replied to asking where the merchandise that I had already purchased was that should’ve already been sent. One of my entire orders was done through text messaging with Samantha and when I received it it was completely wrong. When I called her out on it she then proceeded to message me saying that they don’t talk about orders over messaging and that I have to email them. You can imagine my confusion and at that point I knew it was only gonna get worse. Anyways, if you guys wanna know more feel free to ask, I am an open book and I have nothing to hide. He shouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing and treat people how he treats them and just get away with it. So anything you guys want to know I’m more than happy to share it with you I can provide pictures and I can back up every single thing that I say has happened because it has. But people need to know how this company, specifically the president Darrell Combs treats his customers. I Have done absolutely nothing to warrant the passive aggressive and sometimes outright hostile behavior I’ve received thus far. But please feel free to judge for yourself if you’d like. I’d just like to know that I’m not going crazy and that this is truly uncalled for on orange boxx’s behalf.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m so happy I found this thread. I have multiple items from orange box and I have had the most excruciatingly terrible and exhausting experience of my life trying to deal with Darrell and Samantha. The things he would say to me in his emails were belittling, bullying, and even threatening at times. They we’re just out right unprofessional. He cannot admit when he’s wrong and will do anything to either blame you or blame someone else for why things aren’t working. I would send pictures of evidence, of screenshots, of messages, that disputed everything he was saying. For him to ignore it and continue to tell me why it’s my fault. If you guys could only know the half of what I am still dealing with currently with his company you would be apalled. It’s at the point where he told me he was going to delete my account take all my points away (which I had over 1000) and block all my email emails and block my number. He went as far as to accuse me of harassing him. He also said I needed to stop contacting him because I sent several emails none of which were replied to asking where the merchandise that I had already purchased was that should’ve already been sent. One of my entire orders was done through text messaging with Samantha and when I received it it was completely wrong. When I called her out on it she then proceeded to message me saying that they don’t talk about orders over messaging and that I have to email them. You can imagine my confusion and at that point I knew it was only gonna get worse. Anyways, if you guys wanna know more feel free to ask, I am an open book and I have nothing to hide. He shouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing and treat people how he treats them and just get away with it. So anything you guys want to know I’m more than happy to share it with you I can provide pictures and I can back up every single thing that I say has happened because it has. But people need to know how this company, specifically the president Darrell Combs treats his customers. I Have done absolutely nothing to warrant the passive aggressive and sometimes outright hostile behavior I’ve received thus far. But please feel free to judge for yourself if you’d like. I’d just like to know that I’m not going crazy and that this is truly uncalled for on orange boxx’s behalf.
I am thinking it is time to write an article and start shopping it to the car and outdoor online magazines to take this giant man baby to task.

The guy actually had the nerve to find some volunteer to fix his mistakes for free in a garage, then blame me when the guy he picked from a forum somewhere said he could not do the job in his garage.

I am debating showing up at his shop and demanding my money back and just turning it over to lawyers.

I don't think I can name a more incompetent company that should be avoided.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts