Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
My 2007 2WD fj rear end differential with lock. needs to be fixed.
1--can i swap a complete rear end 8.2 from an fj 2010 whit rear lock 4WD even if mine its a 2wd .same gear ratio?
2-- or can i only replace the rear end from a 1996-2002 4runner 8.0 different gear ratio ,(4.30) with e-locker?
Will fit?
Will work different ratio or the locker?

3-- or a rear end from a 4runner or fj with no locker will work?
4-- or just regeared?
Please help
I need to see my amada fj back to the road.please

·
Registered
161 Posts
Assuming that you have a 2007 with a bad diff, you can upgrade to the 8.2 and utilize your current axles, but will have to swap the pumpkin as well. It’s not a straight swap, there will need to be some fabricating done.
Search the forum here and you can find a couple of folks that have done just that. I on the other hand replaced my 8.0 with a third member from East Coast Gear Supply and so far it sounds like it just drove off the lot. $750 vs. around $3K to upgrade to 8,2, and it only took me ten hours in the driveway by myself.
Good luck

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,145 Posts
X2 on ECGS - good people there you can discuss your problem and options with ?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The OP has stated that he has a 2WD model with locking differential, but hasn’t provided any information on what Is actually wrong with the differential.

the first question might be, EXACTLY what is wrong?
Noisy pinion or carrier bearings?
Mesh whine?
Lubrication failure?
Broken gear teeth?
Non-functional locker mechanism?

To provide any useful information on repair options, we need to know exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming that you have a 2007 with a bad diff, you can upgrade to the 8.2 and utilize your current axles, but will have to swap the pumpkin as well. It’s not a straight swap, there will need to be some fabricating done.
Search the forum here and you can find a couple of folks that have done just that. I on the other hand replaced my 8.0 with a third member from East Coast Gear Supply and so far it sounds like it just drove off the lot. $750 vs. around $3K to upgrade to 8,2, and it only took me ten hours in the driveway by myself.
Good luck
The OP has stated that he has a 2WD model with locking differential, but hasn’t provided any information on what Is actually wrong with the differential.

Mesh whine?
Lubrication failure?
Broken gear teeth?

To provide any useful information on repair options, we need to know exactly what the problem is.
Good luck
Thanks.
I think es

Good luck
thanks
I think East Coast Gear Its the solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys
I think the swap its too much for me.
So Ill go with East Coast Gear
My differential sounds like it has a bad bearing carrier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mesh whine?
Lubrication failure?
Broken gear teeth?

Sounds like a carrier bearing.
A huuuummm noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts