Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end has been making the dreaded ever-increasing howling sound for the past few months, has recently gotten quite loud, and I figure I need to go ahead and fix things before it lets go in a catastrophic way at 3AM on a dark road in the rain with zombies chasing me.

Truck is 2007, 4WD, AT5, rear locker, everything stock, 104K miles. The date code on the 3rd member is within the "bad range".

So after reading all the threads I can find it looks like the best way to go is to just order the appropriate parts from East Coast Gear Supply (I do all my own work but don't have the tools/expertise to feel comfortable setting gear lash and mesh and all that). I have a few questions:

1) Are there any other parts I should order other than the 3rd member? Do most folks usually replace axle seals and bearings as part of this job? I do not have any leaks currently. Is it worth it to replace them "while I'm in there", or since they are not causing any problems is it best not to rock that boat?

2) Is there a factory service manual anywhere on the site or online? I don't want to pay full price from one at the dealer if I don't have to.

3) Is repairing it this way pretty much a plug and play deal? Pull axles, remove old 3rd member, and replace? Any particular things to look out for or common mistakes on these trucks?

4) Any other input/advice from folks who have done this job is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and I will be sure and post up pics as I go through the job.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Nathan I'll be doing the same real soon. Were you able to get yours done? Care to share any notes?
Wikid you have a PM from me too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts