Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the old springs out and the shocks off. Tried jacking opposite side of axle and cannot get enough room to get new coil in. What am I doing wrong? Still have about another 1inch to go before they will go in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could do the thing with the bottle jack like 2007fj said or disconnect the rear track bar from the axle. 2007fj's may be a little easier. also make sure you have disconnected the sway bar. I unbolted it from the axle and temporarily wire tied it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Install the factory jack between the axle and upper bumpstop and you can get that extra inch you need.Just be carefull of the wires.
X2 on that, after 5 lift installs thats all I've ever done, the lower links do need to be disconnected but the swaybar is just extra work. Bottle jack will soon loose it's purpouse after you get the lift on. lol Carry a chunk of 4x4 to make up for the lift or you will be maxin out the jack with the tires on the ground tryin to change a tire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would personally rather disconnect the sway bar than the lower links, but thats just me. If you are going to disconnect the lower links, you might as well just bite the bullet and get some new lower links put on while you have everything apart. :)

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
dont do either take the the one bolt for the panhard bar out and be done with it....
Interesing, never thought of it that way. Only reason I disconnect the lower links is thats how the instructions told me how to do it on my first OME lift, I guess it's just habit now, kinda got a system and stick with it, this panhard option sounds like an easier option.
I agree to swap out your lower links, or at least enforce them with angle iron and box em up. they will get beat and bent on rocks as well as the achilles heel aka lower link forward mounts on the frame. And while were at it you should get the lower shock mount protectors and a rear diff skid and a e locker guard. the needs are endless.:mecry: one dollar after another:jester:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is this the panhard bar? We undid that bolt and it was a cinch after that, we were waiting on a response to this thread and said let's try this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never heard it refered to as a panhard bar. That is what I was referring to when I said track bar. I could be wrong. If so, someone feel free to correct me so I can stop sounding like an idiot.:)

But yeah, I had to take that same bolt loose that you were pointing to. After that it was a snap. Kind of a PIA to get that bolt back in there though. Either way, sounds like you got it covered.

Cheers!
:cheers:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kind of a PIA to get that bolt back in there though.

Cheers!
:cheers:
Yes it was, but when we lowered the floor jack all the way down that was supporting axle(keep in mind we had jack stands on the frame in front of rear axle) then slowly lifted it back up you can pretty much align that bar perfect to slide the bolt back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts