Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please dont bash or flame me for asking this but what are the pros and cons of getting a FJ Cruiser over a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK in all honestly, Money is not an issue.:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Please dont bash or flame me for asking this but what are the pros and cons of getting a FJ Cruiser over a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK in all honestly, Money is not an issue.:thinkerg:
IMO, the primary advantage the FJ offers is Toyota dependability & quality. There are many other reasons I chose the FJ: design, drivetrain, appearance, and all the little things toyota does right. If all you wish to consider is off-road ability the Rubicon is every bit the FJs match, beyond that at least for me it was no contest, FJ all the way.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
IMO, the primary advantage the FJ offers is Toyota dependability & quality. There are many other reasons I chose the FJ: design, drivetrain, appearance, and all the little things toyota does right. If all you wish to consider is off-road ability the Rubicon is every bit the FJs match, beyond that at least for me it was no contest, FJ all the way.
Agreed!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
How much would you say you have to put into an FJ to make it very off road capable, not super rocks but like most trails and any other opions appreciated
Other than tires, they are excellent right out of the box. Even then, many have gone plenty of places on the stock tires.

Things like winches are only nice-ities to make getting unstuck more convenient than with things you should already have when planning to go offroad (come-along) etc.

Tires, sliders, maybe a lift. You'll be laughing, and more comfortable than the Jeepers... :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
My rig is still really stock. Better all terrain tires and Demello sliders are my major mods at this point. No suspension lift (yet), no aftermarket bumpers, no big mud terrains.

That said, that's what I take on trails. I like the expedition side of wheeling, and I do like rock crawling to a point (more experience will hopefully lead to more confidence). Took my stock rig to Nevada's Steam Shovel trail and did all of the above — expedition, a little crawling, and scaring the piss out of myself on a goat trail.

You can take a stock rig and go off road knowing what your limitations are (that's rig and driver) and have a lot of fun getting there and back.

That's my newbie opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and 6th GEAR! Yes, I have the 6MT.

How much would you say you have to put into an FJ to make it very off road capable, not super rocks but like most trails and any other opions appreciated

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Fuel mileage! Many stock FJs are getting 23-ish MPG,. while Jeeps get about 14-18 MPG. The FJ rides better on the street and can hang with or surpass Jeeps on the trail. Aftermarket support is just as good for either vehicle. And the Toyota reliability should be the capper for the deal. Many Toyota dealerships are selling FJs for less than invoice, so on top of a great, reliable, BEAST, you will get a great deal!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking at the Jeep also before I bought my 08 FJ. The big deciding factor for me was interior space. When I sat in the Jeep, It felt like I was trapped in a coffin. I am not a huge guy, 6ft 230lbs, but I am not small either, and the Jeep just didn't have the elbow/shoulder room of the FJ. I have taken the FJ off road quite a bit and am more than happy with it (I even had to tow a Jeep out of a bad patch). The FJ also rides smoother on road because of the IFS. If you are driving a majority of the time on road I would recommend the FJ. If hard core Rock Crawling is your thing try out the Jeep or just modify the FJ. It all comes down to what you will be doing most of the time.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
FJ is the way to go!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Thanks for the help at the moment im leaning towards and FJ! I dont know but how often do you FJ'rs Go on trail runs? Im live in Riverside by Corona CA!~
Dude you are in trail run heaven. pretty much every weekend someone is going out somewhere in so cal. we are kind of stalled as of late due to the FJ summit in 2 weeks. as for the reason for me, I also looked at the rubi when I looked at the FJ. I test drove em both and was stunned how much better the FJ handled on road compaired to the JK. Off road stock they are pretty much neck and neck. the only advantage the rubi has is the solid front axle but that is only an advantage in certain situations. Some of us go overboard on the mods but as someone said befor. for a great capable rig, all you really need is some better tires, some sliders, and a lift. Make sure you get the e-locker if you do get an FJ but pass on the atrac. it's already in the 4wd's you just gotta install a 50 dollar switch to get it to work. whatever you choose you can still come run trails with us anytime.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
depends, tires are anywhere from 175 to 375 each depending on the size and brand, lifts range from cheap spacers and springs prolly around 300 all the way up to 2500 for top of the line stuff. you can get a decent toytech or OME for around 700ish. a winch will reqire a lucrum mount if you want to keep the stock look or a full aftermarket bumper, the prices vary so much from company to company, as for the winch they range from 250 to 600. tools usually include a HiLift jack and some other random items depending on what you plan on doing. sliders, well again the price varies. check out the comlete compairison threads on here for Ideas of what you like. if you use the search button, use the advanced search then just search thread titles. also you can go straight to the vendor forums to check out what they offer. also good deals come along often in the for sale section. Any rig you go with will be about the same, you can get the offroad package from the dealership but for the price you can get many better items of your own liking and there are many of us in socal who enjoy helping out on installs, myself being one. My going rate is beer and pizza.:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
depends, tires are anywhere from 175 to 375 each depending on the size and brand, lifts range from cheap spacers and springs prolly around 300 all the way up to 2500 for top of the line stuff. you can get a decent toytech or OME for around 700ish. a winch will reqire a lucrum mount if you want to keep the stock look or a full aftermarket bumper, the prices vary so much from company to company, as for the winch they range from 250 to 600. tools usually include a HiLift jack and some other random items depending on what you plan on doing. sliders, well again the price varies. check out the comlete compairison threads on here for Ideas of what you like. if you use the search button, use the advanced search then just search thread titles. also you can go straight to the vendor forums to check out what they offer. also good deals come along often in the for sale section. Any rig you go with will be about the same, you can get the offroad package from the dealership but for the price you can get many better items of your own liking and there are many of us in socal who enjoy helping out on installs, myself being one. My going rate is beer and pizza.:cheers:
Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it! :bigthumb:
Any other help is appreciated!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts