Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I haven't seen anyone else post about it yet, I thought I'd let everyone know about the Hema Explorer app that's been released for North America.
(Full disclosure: I've been working with Hema Maps for the past year to help build their Explorer platform for our market. )

You can read the full PR-press release stuff here:
Hema - Hema Explorer North America

This initial (NOT FINAL) release of the app & Hema Cloud system is really meant to:
1) Provide a place for 4x4/overland enthusiasts to plan, track, document, and share their adventures.
2) Create a global platform suitable for VEHICLE based adventure

The app & cloud work together and I think (and I'm biased) provide a great start to something that's going to be amazing!

LAYERS
The app intentionally does not include every layer that everyone could ever wish for. Instead, the idea is to keep the system simple enough for normal people, yet powerful enough for map geeks.
There are 2 different US Topo layers: Modern USGS Topo and legacy USGS 7.5 Topo
The app includes the ability to download the Hema US Road Atlas in large chunks, which is a nice off-line reference for highway navigation
There are 2 Terrain Layers: HERE Terrain - great for elevation relief & Thunderforest Outdoors - great for viewing trails, waypoints, & tracks
HERE Streets and HERE Satellite are also included in the app.
For Canada: CanMatrix (Topo) or CanVector (Street) can be enabled.

OFFLINE MAPS
All layers (except the Sat view - we're working on that) can be downloaded for offline use.
You can download multiple layers (select the ones you want) for a specific area by drawing a box & downloading the maps.
You can also downloa maps for a specific trail/track with one click, again, multiple layers at once.

PLANNING
The app & cloud both allow creation of rough routes, placing waypints, and importing GPX or KML (web only) files.
You can organize everything into folders for specific trips or legs of trips.
The Hema Cloud shows other trips/tracks in the area you're exploring, and those the Hema Map Patrol has done & will do in the future.
All public tracks in the cloud can be saved to your profile & synced to your device(s).

DOCUMENTING
Record your track, add geotagged photos, waypoints, and notes.
When you're done recording all your data is synced to the cloud and can be made public (default is private)
Private trips can be shared with friends via a shareable link.

Yes, it does look very similar to another offline mapping app. No, it won't look like that forever. We have to start somewhere :)

No, Hema isn't paying me to promote this. I just think it's a really great start to my 'perfect' mapping & nav system for OHV use.

Yes, I want to hear what you think & help make the entire system better =)

A couple of videos to help get people started:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds good. I need to go check them out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Spotted it over on the Expedition Portal: LINK HERE

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used the app on an iPAD in Ouray and Moab last year. It was great. It is easy to use. I learned on the fly as I went to the FJ Summit. Then in October instead of going straight to Moab, I took the scenic route going from Monticello to Moab. I took mostly off-road trails to get to Moab. It was the best trip I've ever had off-roading. The app was easy to use and stable. I recorded one track across multiple days including photos and never had any issues. Thats great considering I had no cell service most of that trip. With preloaded maps and track files, the HEMA app made my trip an unforgettable experience.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I used the app on an iPAD in Ouray and Moab last year. It was great. It is easy to use. I learned on the fly as I went to the FJ Summit. Then in October instead of going straight to Moab, I took the scenic route going from Monticello to Moab. I took mostly off-road trails to get to Moab. It was the best trip I've ever had off-roading. The app was easy to use and stable. I recorded one track across multiple days including photos and never had any issues. Thats great considering I had no cell service most of that trip. With preloaded maps and track files, the HEMA app made my trip an unforgettable experience.

Are you using a Bad-Elf or some other external GPS antenna for areas with no cell service?
@shane4x4. Do you know if HEMA is compatible w/ an external antenna?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used the iPad GPS. If I remember right, there is an offline mode in the HEMA app and you can turn off the cell data in the IPad settings. The GPS still worked. I used an IPad Air (maybe air2, don't remember) with a ProClip bracket that had a built in charger. I only removed ithe iPad to take photos. I had preloaded maps and tracks and had no issues at all with the app. I just paused the app when I arrived at my nightly camping spot. I was in extremely remote areas.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that awesome review! Any chance you repeat it in the App Store? ��

The app will work with the Bad elf GPS or any other external. In most cases the built-in gps is fine, but if you have a tablet w/o gps an external will be good ;)

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts

The app will work with the Bad elf GPS or any other external. In most cases the built-in gps is fine, but if you have a tablet w/o gps an external will be good ;)

Thanks. I'm just looking for redundancy and the internals can lag w/ out service and the HDOP can get pretty bad. That may not be as big of an issue out west but I'd like to keep some consistency by using an external. Im looking at paring a Bad-Elf Pro+GLONASS. I'm in the process of setting up a dedicated tablet for NAV and I'm always looking at APP options. This seems to be a well researched app and something that I'll add along with the others that I use as it's difficult to find a stand alone/ jack of all trades app. I'm currently in the planning stages of a 20 day trip next year out west and I'm not familiar with a lot of the areas that we will be traversing. This looks as if it will be very helpful in that regard.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Done but it isn't showing up yet. Something about not enough reviews. Thanks for the awesome app.
Thanks...every little bit helps =)

I'm planning to get a Bad Elf this summer so I can compare it to the built in GPS on both iOS & Android devices. Plenty of other great stuff coming this year as well. We got a bit distracted in 2016 due to the Continental Divide Expedition, but the app will see plenty of love this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts