Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
yea, I was just having a similar thought.

As this is the concept car, will it be possible that they give it a little more 4x4 cred in the final version?

What would you have to do to that base design to get there?

Bigger tire wells and / or modifiable fenders?

drop the gimmicks (sleeping bag in the console, water bottles, etc.).

Perhaps they do a stripped down version for the international market. Cheaper price point, more modifiable, modular type design.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
no matter what, it is going to be a unit body, and probably 4 wheel independent suspension

Think Rav 4 or Honda CRV.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It would be easy to americanize the current stable of Toyota down under/Asia/South American type heavy duty off road vehicles for us (Hilux?).
Since we are a small off road market, these types of vehicles made legal for our market could give the Jeep products a run for the money.
I like my FJ, but I do lust for a newer solid axle vehicle or IFS vehicle that is beefier than the FJ.

Toyota....there is a market for this type of vehicle....
You want our money, build the right product...
The aftermarket guys would be all over it....
Win Win for everyone....
Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
By the way, this prototype version sucks Toyota....

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just6st another soccer van.
Im sure some will love it and puchase when it becomes available.
Ill keep my real truck and be happy.

I see Jeep Rubicons and 4Runners and FJs being used by women hauling kids all the time to soccer and school.

There is no longer a definition on the soccer van.

I usually see men driving minivans and small four door sedans like Corolla or Camry to work.. :lol:

Pick up trucks? If it is a nice looking four door pickup, a man or woman will be in there on way to soccer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What a disappointment. Their concept missed the mark even for those of us who are just dirt roaders. Only 2 doors on the sides makes it difficult to put my dogs in the back seats; love the FJ suicide doors. Looks like a KIA wannabe and not retro like the FJ. This will just make the FJ a classic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"The Capable Toyota FT-4X Concept " really Toyota???

Ok... What the hell... Here we have jeep making Rubicon, now Ford coming out with Bronco .. I'm thinking maybe Toyota is coming out with a new and improved FJ Cruiser, with steel bumper, solid front axle.. lockers, sway bar disconnect .. and all the other goodies we need to hit the hard trails.. but noooo.. they show us basically a Kia... Not sure if I'm the only one who feels like this about this FT.......... ? Dont get me wrong, I love my FJ... But I think we all agree there's a few things we wish Toyota changed on FJ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
When I saw the actors in the ad, I knew this was intended for posers. "Look at how much fun we're having!"

·
Registered
119 Posts
It would be easy to americanize the current stable of Toyota down under/Asia/South American type heavy duty off road vehicles for us (Hilux?).
Since we are a small off road market, these types of vehicles made legal for our market could give the Jeep products a run for the money.
I like my FJ, but I do lust for a newer solid axle vehicle or IFS vehicle that is beefier than the FJ.

Toyota....there is a market for this type of vehicle....
You want our money, build the right product...
The aftermarket guys would be all over it....
Win Win for everyone....
Just my 2 cents.....
I don't think you can Americanize the hilux without a lot of investment (probably to the point it is no longer a hilux really), because the vast majority are diesel (they are all diesel where i live now) but built to Euro 5 emission standards (yea, not sure what that difference is in terms of motor). From what I understand is the Euro 5 emission standard, also typically means a national Euro 5 diesel fuel standard that contaminates less.

I think the even bigger hold-up for toyota to the american culture of blinging out vehicles before they leave the lot (options on options), vs. say leaving a work truck a work truck. Nice and basic.

Where I live in south america, Toyota (and nissan) pick-ups, pretty much crush the sales of all other pick-up manufactures combined. For every Ford or GM pick-up on the road, there has got to be an easy 10+ Hilux; and, honestly, from a reliability stand-point, I would buy a used hilux before buying a new U.S. pick-up. You almost never see an american vehicle on the road with more than 100,000 miles on them, and their resale value drops like a rock once they leave the lot. Their reputation for reliability is none-existent, and the GM and Ford dealerships here have a horrible reputation for sticking it to their customers when something goes wrong (not honoring their warranties, taking deposits and going out of business). Hard to build any brand-loyalty, when you spend all your time coming up with new and creative ways to rip off your customers.

With that sort of secure market position outside the U.S. for Toyota, I can see them not being in a terrible rush to sell a hand-full more pickups in a market that the competitors have a government sanctioned monopoly supporting them, and to compete costs a lot more per unit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This concept shouldnt even be on the radar for 4x4 guys.

This would sell well to the masses though.

And that is what Toyota wants. Cash flow and profits.

I hope they build something like the FJ again someday but with the way things are heading, I won't hold my breath.

Boring cars that self drive are the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Toyota deserves some credit for coming up with this, but the design of so many of their current lineup is just not working for me. As a long time Toyota owner, they almost force folks to look elsewhere. I'm scared to see what the next gen 4Runner will look like.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is definitely not a FJ replacement. I'm keeping my FJ MT forever and just added a T4R Offroad before Toyota shows the replacement (if any).

I think this all has to do with the CAFE mandates getting 54.5 mpg by 2025! and being still able to sell Tundra and Tacos in some form, which will be the only true off-road capable vehicles, as they have different CAFE standards. Toyota is going to abandon in the US, is my gut feel. The latest Tacoma has newer tech than a T4R, which tells me that even a T4R is gone soon, to be replaced by a unibody POS.

The Jeep division of FCA sells more vehicles in the US than all their other divisions combined, and Toyota is now moving away from true 4WD trucks, stupid and sad! I don't know how FCA is going to meet CAFE down the road, Fiat 500's won't cut it at 54.5.

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Toyota TJ Cruiser Could be Brand’s Next Crossover

<span lang="EN-US"></span>

<span lang="EN-US">If the Toyota FT-4X Concept makes it to production, it could be called the TJ Cruiser.

The Toyota Motor Corporation has filed a trademark for the name TJ Cruiser with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for use on “Automobiles and structural parts thereof.”

Recently, Toyota showed us the FT-4X Concept, a compact crossover that is meant for urban adventures, not the rock-filled Moab runs that Toyota’s FJ Cruiser was built to tackle. Toyota wants to cash in on the crossover boom and this would be the brand’s second offering in the compact crossover segment, joining the C-HR. In comparison, the TJ Cruiser would offer a little more off-road capability and more usable space while being nearly the same size.</span>

<span lang="EN-US">Read more about the Toyota TJ Cruiser at AutoGuide.com.</span>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Toyota needs to badge it as something other than the TJ cruiser, that to me makes it seem like it is a continuation of the series, which it's not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yea, I was looking around the other day for what would be a FJ replacement on the market, if I needed to replace it, and not get stuck with American made garage crawler (i.e. they tend to crawl from one garage to the next). Basically to get anything as capable, you need to drop about $80,000+ on something like a land cruiser or a Mercedes.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts