Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my new and improved build thread. My previous build was very unorganized and broken apart, so I thought I would do it right this time.

I named my rig Hermes, Greek god of safe travel, road travelers, orators and wit, athletics and... thieves (hehe no reason for that part but I still like it) see there have been multiple times that while driving something has happened where if I was in my old car and not the FJ I would have died, not been able to turn ect... so I feel the name is very appropriate.

I purchased my FJ in Aug of 2007, as a birthday present to myself.

My overall plans for my build are to make a capable expedition rig that I can use for both road trips/vacations but also be able to pack it up and disappear into the wilderness for extended periods of time.

AS HERMES SITS TODAY

Just like most of us I still have a lot of plans for my rig, but here is what Ive done so far. Enjoy :)

Oh and this is my copilot Shea. I wish I could take her on more trail runs and road trips but she gets very antsi in the rig and gets jumpy around people.

and here she is rockin her new tough girl collar. 2inches of thick black leather with three rows of silver studs... thats right shes a Hard Ass :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
APPEARANCE
First lets start with the basic stuff:

my first mod was the FJ cubby hole cover off ebay. Simple yet functional.

20% tint on the fronts and 3in weather strip

Blued out the Toyota

and the engine cover

blacked out the rims, wings, and mirrors (I did eventually do the center caps too)

Wet Okole seat covers with the skull graphic
(I could have sworn I took a picture of them... Ill have to find it)

lots of stickers on the rig

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PERFORMANCE
aFe Intake

aFe exhaust

Both of these are Awesome and I would highly recommend them to anyone!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
LIGHTING
For what ever reason I really want a ton of lights on my rig...

Walmart fog lights on stock grille guard

Tuffy lightbar with 4 150watt ebay lights

all the lights burnin

I turned the side panel into a control panel, I really like the rocket launcher toggles. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
STEREO AND NAV
Sirius Sat radio and Garmin Nuvi 250w. both hardwired for a wire free dashboard

I also hardwired my radar detector

I get a lot of questions about the mount for the sat radio, I cant remember the brand name for it but they are on ebay for about $25, are really easy to install and you can put what ever you want on it.

Home built sub boxes mounted on either wheel well

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
STORAGE
I always liked the Mpac racks, but could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on one... so I made my own!

Im going to mount a High Lift, shovel and ax on there as well. Here is how it looks today (oh and yes that IS and ammo can on the right side there)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PROTECTION
Its not much but its what I got

Rear light guards

Hunter Bull Bar (this will be coming off and be replaced with either a custom lightbar or a Intense Fab tube bumper

OEM Rock Rails

Im working on some custom steps for these, just trying to work the kinks out of the design

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SUSPENSION AND TIRES
Rough Country 3in Lift

Nitto 295 Terra Grapplers that will be installed as soon as Im done with my body mount chop

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
MISC

FUTURE PLANS:
Bushwacker fender flares or extenda fenders
Spider Tracs 1.25in spacers for stability and aggressive stance
Scan Gauge II
Intense Fabrication Tube Bumper with 4 more lights
possible a set of rims with street tires for everyday driving

PICS FROM THE TRAIL

a lil damage from the Trail Teams event at the Badlands

Mud is fun!!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Pretty nice! I like the home made storage rack on the back door. I too would like to get the MPac, but like you, think it is too much for me to be spending right now.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
OK, I'll bite... Did I send you a Hurricane sticker? I have lost track.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I'll bite... Did I send you a Hurricane sticker? I have lost track.....
LOL yeah you did when I bought your old Palm phone from you. I get a lot of questions here in Chicago as to why I have it, being there are no hurricanes in the area and all :rofl:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Geez... I forgot!!! Please keep that on your rig!!!! I want to make a thread with all Hurricane stickers on it!!!!!

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Oh yeah, Hermes is an AWESOME name! That is one of my Favorite MG parades here. It is a very very classy all Men's krewe that is known for their classy throws!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez... I forgot!!! Please keep that on your rig!!!! I want to make a thread with all Hurricane stickers on it!!!!!
Of course! Let me know when you get it started Ill send you some pics! i dont have a lot of trail pics, seems that no one I go with likes to take pics but me, and its kinda hard to drive and take pics of your own rig. But I can send you what Ive got.

Nice rig :bigthumb:
Thanks Tuna!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Saweet Rig and nice write up! you don't have to spend a Bazillion dollars to personalize
and make your rig more capable.
Nice job on your rear storage pack. I feel the same way as to the price point on some of
this equipment.
Well Please keep us posted when you add more mods to Hermes!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool build, and great rack :bigthumb:
So are you going to sell me you engine cover since its voodoo :lol:
Im glad you like my rack :rofl:

·
Premium Member
17,122 Posts
Nice build! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.