Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I'm from Vancouver, BC, my name is Al, I've been lurking here quite awhile (upwards of 2? years), bought an '08 beige FJ a year ago June. After the '86 Toyota short box deluxe 4wd pickup (bought new Dec. '85, owned for 12 years, much 4wheeling and 330,000? kms), '94 4Runner (came to us Nov. '98- we needed something to put a baby seat in- drove it for 20 years and 370,000 kms) I'm lovin' the FJ! My 2 boys (21 and 16) and I have had it on 15 or 18 day trips since spring, just came back from a 4 day weekend and it never ceases to amaze us (the electronic rear locker is a great piece! makes the well worn Michelin all seasons on it go places you never thought they would). An OME lift kit (along with SPC uca's) are on order (thanks everyone here for your various testimonials/constructive criticisms of the various manufacturers), some 285/70 (either All Terrain TA's or Cooper AT3's) tires, sliders (the running boards have taken quite the beating) and a winch/Metal Tech Stronghold plate mount are in the works as well.
1st question- it's front brakes time (came home from the weekend with metal on metal)- a while ago I was reading a thread about upgrading front brakes to (was it) Tundra parts? I thought I had the pages bookmarked but can't find it.
2nd question- more recently I was reading about a fairly easy LED headlight (Sealight brand?) upgrade- iIrc you only had to modify the rubber seal? Again, I thought I had it bookmarked, but ...
I've tried the search but came up empty, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. And when I figure out pic posting here I will oblige Figured it out- top is the boys on one of our first outings- in March. The 2nd is beautiful British Columbia in May- both taken in around Stave Lake (in the Fraser Valley just outside of the Lower Mainland).

I just noticed- the running boards were still fairly straight then! Al

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Vancouverite! North Shore to be more precise.

·
Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Black
13 Posts
Welcome from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Al, welcome from Ohio!

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

Yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea to remove those running boards before you damage them further and have the damage transfer into the body.

🍻 🍻🍻

Reactions: Biggluth

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greetings from Toronto.

Great looking rig! We were going to drive out to visit relatives in Vernon and Port Coquitlam in our new 2007 but COVID conspired against us. No provincial parks open to visitors on the way... :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies! It's been a little crazy around here (getting kids to appointments and all the rest that goes on when the wife is working) plus I was busy with brakes for a couple days- it was the backs and needed both rotors as well as pads. A word of advice for those that don't know- when replacing rear pads, if they come with new guide pieces (the little metal bits that snap into the sides of the brackets that hold the pads) throw them away and clean up/re-use the originals so the pads will actually slide. The aftermarket ones (from Raybestos) don't fit well at all and even some time "coaxing" didn't help. My Sunday afternoon was spent putting the originals back in so the pads would release when you take your foot off the brake pedal. It stops like a champ now, but I did notice that the front pads are waayyy down there...

Still waiting on the OME kit (ordered from Overland Outfitters in Cloverdale, just outside of Vancouver). We do a trail called the Whipsaw (Whipsaw Creek, near Princeton, BC) every Labor Day weekend (Saturday); it will be the FJ's maiden voyage and if it's going to make it without any damage it needs the lift and the taller tires. The kit has been on order for a month and a half? so it's time to give the place a call and see if they have an ETA. And talk to my welder/fabricator nephew who want to make the rock sliders. Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts