Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure,all vehicles get hot parked in the sun all day long, or even in just a couple hours. The a/c helps, but it would be nice if you didn't have to get into a 130 or higher temperature.

So, I propose that Toyota take the lead and install a small roof mount solar panel. It would power a built-in fan that would push outside air through the FJ automatically, obviously geared to the intensity of the sunlight on the vehicle. And, there would be a thermostat to make sure the fan doesn't push in cold air on a sunny winter day. Cost should not be too great, and it would be a 'cool' feature not only here, but also in mid-east countries.

Just my opinion... but why wouldn't it make sense?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Suprising, living in South Florida, my truck does not get hot and I have black leather seats. In fact, I was saying the other day "I love the white roof, reflects the heat, so it doesn't get hot".

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I've seen something like a fan mechanism that sits on the side window when it's rolled down just 1/2" or so. It's supposed to pull hot air out of the vehicle using solar power.

Where Homedad is, though, there's no hope. Next stop: hades! :lol:

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I've seen something like a fan mechanism that sits on the side window when it's rolled down just 1/2" or so. It's supposed to pull hot air out of the vehicle using solar power.

I can't find that on my GPS....will you take me there Mo???:rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I can't find that on my GPS....will you take me there Mo???:rofl:
You know me. I'll be there soon enough!

When you get there, just look for the 'DOWN' elevator. You'll be in good company, too! :lol:

Now, if you're saying you haven't done enough naughty things to get there on your own and you would like my help...that's got to be arranged via PM. :devil:

M

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
^^^ That's it! ^^^^

Have you ever used one?

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I moved to the desert from Minnesota.....

In the winter my hands would freeze to the door latch.....

Now in the summer....my fingers burst into flames.....

The flames can be put out.....

Being frozen to the handle is a little more work:jester:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

I have seen this same thing too. It has a molding as well so that you can cover up the rest of the window that is open inorder to allow the fan enough room to vent out. This is a really good invention. If i had to park my vehicle in the sun i would definitely use this.

·
Registered
876 Posts
...a small roof mount solar panel. It would power a built-in fan that would push outside air through the FJ automatically...
Good thought, but air being pushed into the vehicle has to have an exit, ie: an open window. An open window, with the aid of a window shade allows the vehicle to stay cooler and "vent" as it needs to, to equalize heat to the outside temp. This is all you can really do anyway without some sort of air conditioning running.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those are some cool little fans, need to go get one of those. :D

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Those are some cool little fans, need to go get one of those. :D
Oh heck yeah, where you are! My cousins live in Vegas. That's where I first saw the fan thingy.

M

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm back. The reason for suggesting Toyota do it, is that the Auto Cool ('as seen on TV') is worthless. I have that one, and it didn't even make 1 degree difference. If Toyota were to do it, I think they would have a more powerful solar panel and blower that would actually move some air.

Don't know about that round one, whether or not it's better.

Part of the problem may be that when you mount the current models on the inside of the window, the window tinting is reducing the amount of solar energy getting to the solar panel. Maybe I could try getting one of those solar battery chargers for more power, and a more powerful dc motor for the fan on the auto cool model.

Anyhow, all of this is a kludge. The solution would be for Toyota to build it in professionally, and effectively. You'd think it would be a good sales feature.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm back. The reason for suggesting Toyota do it, is that the Auto Cool ('as seen on TV') is worthless. I have that one, and it didn't even make 1 degree difference. If Toyota were to do it, I think they would have a more powerful solar panel and blower that would actually move some air.

Don't know about that round one, whether or not it's better.

Part of the problem may be that when you mount the current models on the inside of the window, the window tinting is reducing the amount of solar energy getting to the solar panel. Maybe I could try getting one of those solar battery chargers for more power, and a more powerful dc motor for the fan on the auto cool model.

Anyhow, all of this is a kludge. The solution would be for Toyota to build it in professionally, and effectively. You'd think it would be a good sales feature.
You might want to check out the solar panel/fan that West Marine carry for the boats that is the real deal.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It gets hot here, but not nearly as hot as AZ. I have a dark green truck with tan interior, and it gets waaaay hotter inside than my FJ. I attribute it to the white roof and lighter colored paint, even though the interior is black and the windows aren't tinted as dark as the pickup.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I find the FJ stays cooler than even my last car which was solid white.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I moved to the desert from Minnesota.....

In the winter my hands would freeze to the door latch.....

Now in the summer....my fingers burst into flames.....

The flames can be put out.....

Being frozen to the handle is a little more work:jester:
If you lick it first you will not have a problem with your fingers getting stuck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts