Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I joined a few weeks ago, but never got around to introducing myself here. I'm Mike, I don't have an FJ yet, but will be ordering one in the near future. I've been lurking for long enough to have figured out how I'm initially going to set up my rig, but a couple questions remain. I'm going to quote a post I put up on Yotatech, I think this forum gets a lot more traffic and am hoping to get more opinions.

D-Day (that's deposit day) approaches. As of today, it looks like I'll be ordering my FJ after next payday rolls around. I could do it now, as the salesman says it will likely be 1-2 months to receive the truck after placing the order, but I'd like to ensure that I will not be placed in a financially compromising situation if the truck happens to show up early.

I've pretty much made up my mind as to the options I will be ordering. First off, I decided that I prefer the black over the silver paint, so that's one indecision decided. I'll be ordering the convenience and off-road packages, as well as the OEM roof rack and trailer hitch.

I priced out a couple options, as far as the skid plate and rock rails, and decided that I can get higher quality equipment far less money by going to the aftermarket manufacturers for those pieces. I'm still not 100% sure which models I'll end up with, but I'm not going to sweat it just yet.

Tires are one item that I am not yet sure about. I've been leaning toward either the Wrangler MT/R or the BFG MT KM2. Living in the NorthWet I'm sure that I'll need mud tires, otherwise I'd go with the T/A KOs like I currently run on my pickup. On the other hand, the majority of my driving will be on paved surfaces, and I'd prefer a tire that doesn't give up too much performance in the rain (and occasional snow and ice). The tires will be in the stock size for now, or possibly 275 if rubbing isn't an issue, a lift and larger tires are somewhere in the hazy future.

So, that's a whole lot of thinking out loud. If you guys have any input on the armor or tires please feel free to throw in your $0.02. - Mike

P.S. - I live not far from Tahuya, so that's where I'll be doing most of my wheeling. Those trails are what I had in mind when thinking about mud tires.

Edit: Sorry about the lack of line breaks. The forum software doesn't seem to allow me paragraphs.

Re-edit: Finally made the line breaks work. :clap:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Welcome aboard mgdavis. Sorry but no input on your questions, I'm a desert kind of guy who's been away from the NW a little too long. Good luck in your mudding. Be careful with the new rig in the mud.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard mgdavis. Sorry but no input on your questions, I'm a desert kind of guy who's been away from the NW a little too long. Good luck in your mudding. Be careful with the new rig in the mud.
Didn't want to give the impression that I'll be going out of my way to find mud, just concerned that the AT tires won't cut it when the trails get soggy. Anybody know why I can't do line breaks? Maybe I'm just too new to have those privileges?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Just wanted to say welcome! I am sure you will get some feedback from those who are familiar with your geographic area and the tires you are considering.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Welcome from the NW. Check out the NW section so you can see when we post runs and who are local gurus in WA who can answer question you may have.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Welcome Mike! You have found the right spot to ask your questions. First off, check out some of the member's buildups as they can show you some examples of the options and mods that you have mentioned.

Also, check out the suspension and wheel/tire forums as there are stickies there that show the suspension kits available as well as the tires and rims that folks are using.

You are wise not strapping yourself financially. These rigs and this place can be VERY addicitive so leave the plastic at home!!!

Welcome again.

Kim

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've spent lots of time browsing through rig build-up threads, there are some very talented people here. The problem I'm having is that everything looks good in pictures, but I don't have the ability to touch anything from here. As far as the armor goes, hopefully I'll be able to participate in trail runs and see what others are running before I lay down the cash. For the tires, it looks like the 275/75r16 isn't a terribly popular size, so I'll be running 265s until I can pony up for a lift. I'd like to hear local experiences with various rubber, I won't run MTs if I can get away with ATs. Actual ownership of the rig is likely to be at least a couple months off still, so I've still got some time to research.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome, and you will find this site is as addictive as most illegal drugs, but far smoother, and without the weight loss.

Well you might lose weight from not eating, and staying on the forum too long.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Welcome aboard! Looks like your doing your research, their is so much info to be found. It really helped me as I started purchasing mods to see different products in different combinations on other members rigs. Now that I figured what I want its just a matter of money and believe me you its been exspensive so far!!!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the ride. If you have questions ask, someone knows the answer or will fabricate a really good one for you.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:bigthumb::wave:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Welcome Mike. Psst, get a Sun Fusion. They get better mileage. :jester:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I continue researching and finding more information I'm just going to continue bumping this thread, just to keep things in a place that is convenient to me.

It seems that the KM2 isn't going to be released in 265/75r16 till September of this year. That defaults me to the MT/Rs, unless I find something that will work better for less money. I'm a bit disappointed, I was going to buy rubber from Costco, but they don't stock the Wranglers. I'm still waiting for someone to chime in and tell me that the BFG ATs rock in the NW, but I won't hold my breath.

As far as skids go, I'm liking how the Rasta set-up looks, especially the lower weight compared to other makes.

Sliders: Anybody love/hate the extended styles that hang further out the side? I'd like extra protection, but not if it's a PITA to live with every day.

-Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome and good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts