Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '11 FJ from a very nice and off-road knowledgable salesman here at a local store. Great car, lots a fun, price is good, too :)
Looked at Jeeps as well, but I need a bit more highway comfort, and Toyota reliability is well esteemed.
My main goal is a vehicle that can drive on bad roads, unimproved roads, open land etc. to get somewhere, but I don't really see myself as an off-roader. That being said, I'm looking at what I should get:
Roof rack - For Kayaks, mainly, on occasion. It can't be too high, as I have to sometimes fit into parking structures. Looking at roof racks, the Gobi Stealth is great but $$$. The baja rack might do, either low profile or utility, but they're not as elegant in their roof hugging lowness.
Then there's the ARB, which seems to come off from its supports rather easily, or am I imagining things?

Sliders are ordered from ARB, they seem to be cheaper than many others.
Tires have been exchanged for better but not bigger, as I need to stay low.

What do people use for emergency communications? It seems that only Ham radio has enough reach if you're alone in the outback and stranded. Correct or no?

I got shackles and a recovery strap, less for the rig than for pulling obstacles out of the way (here in the Pac NW, we get downed trees and stuff a lot).

Haven't got the Hi-lift jack yet. How important is that, and do I need the long one, or will the shorter one do?

Am I forgetting anything?
Not sure if anyone actually reads these posts, but thanks for all relevant answers :)
Also, look in the sell forum and buy my factory tires, PLEASE!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
What do people use for emergency communications? It seems that only Ham radio has enough reach if you're alone in the outback and stranded. Correct or no?
In the outback, are you an aussie? I can't speak for how many people have HAM in Australia (if that's where you are), but for other forum folks I haven't seen it very often here in the US. I know that some of the more dedicated offroad clubs suggest/require HAM (Christo at Slee Offroad only uses HAM), but on the last FJ run that I did with 6 trucks, 4 had CB's, no HAMs.

Obviously HAM is higher power and has more range, but if far fewer people have them, that's a problem. I'd suggest starting on the CB side for talking to random people and then upgrading to HAM only if you meet a group of people who have them.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I got shackles and a recovery strap, less for the rig than for pulling obstacles out of the way (here in the Pac NW, we get downed trees and stuff a lot).
In the outback, are you an aussie?
He's from the Pacific North West.

If you're looking for a low profile rack, you're probably looking at Baja Rack Utility Rack, or the Gobi Stealth Rack.

For radio, honestly, I'd get both. HAM reaches farther than CB, but a bunch more people use CB. If you're that worried, I would get both. CB first since it will probably get more use, and it's cheaper.

Also, using a recovery strap to pull a downed tree will work, but it will slowly tear up your strap. I'd go get you a dirt cheap tow strap (with no metal on it) and use that. That way for just a few dollars you'll have a dedicated recovery strap and a dedicated debris strap... and piece of mind.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new ride, you made a great choice! :wave:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
x2 on what the Capt. said.

Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to the forums!
Check out the NW sub forum and the NWFJCC.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Low profile racks are covered above. I would get the high lift. Better to have and never use, than need and not have. Again as mentioned above, a tow strap will fray. Use a short chain or go to a crane rigging store and buy a "lifting strap" to secure your tow strap to trees etc.

·
Premium Member
16,344 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you can fit it, go with the ARB Aluminum rack...won't rust and is really light and strong. I've put over 600lbs on mine and it doesn't budge, bend, or creak. The mounting system is rock solid, and the powder coating is miles above the others you mentioned...Welcome!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi & welcome to the fun.
What part of NW are you located?

Also checkout nwfjcc.com for some local NW info.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
welcome to the gang from the NW

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone!
Just bought a 2011 Sandstorm and love it! So I am having trouble connecting my Iphone 3GS to the FJ. Iphone streams BT audio fine but I can not connect the phone. Any ideas what to do?
Thanks!
JT

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Welcome Aboard! You sound like you already have your plan set for mods...spend a little time searching technical topics and look into member builds...here you will gather many great ideas and true and tried setups for tires,roof racks,sliders and armor. Bunch of great reading for all types of recovery gear for different needs. :wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts