Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would it be okay to mount a high-lift jack to my rock sliders which are mounted to the car as per the image below? I would feel more comfortable if these were attached right onto the ladder-frame, but they seem to be attached to the body.

What do you guys think - would I do damage if I used these to lift, or am I safe?

1591116299545.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
NO. Those are not rock sliders, sliders mount to the frame. if you land on rocks with those you will do body damage.

·
トヨタ Master
7,970 Posts
It would be a good idea to install frame mounted rock sliders for jacking purposes. These are steps at best.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Absolutely not! Get a frame mounted slider set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it, thanks guys! I will take your advice. This has been added toward the top of my quickly-growing list of upgrades for this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question on this: Do you think these serve any purpose whatsoever, other than just as steps? Or can I remove them and enjoy the extra inch clearance?

I ask because I was trying to get the car through a tight spot, and these steps were just scraping on a tree-root, causing me to abort. If I didn't have them, I could make it through to victory.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think sliders are a very important tool when off roading. Thinking you are better without sliders is completely wrong. Quality sliders you can easily pivot on and protect your body. Those sliders you have are junk. In some cultures, you would be ridiculed for even posting those pictures and labeling them as sliders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely not implying I would be better off without sliders or armor. Just confirming that these are actually junk and serve no purpose and thus can be discarded (I just got the car).

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Right. For off-road, they may cause more damage, since they are attached to the body, not frame.
Then, when you get proper sliders, get an adapter sized to the tubing if you plan to jack from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Admin
7,312 Posts
If you are wheeling, having those "steps" on actually increases your risk of damage.

If/when you smack them the damage is transferred to your body.

Many people that have/need them for whatever reason simply remove them each time they go wheeling.

True sliders are your best bet.

Here is an older thread with some good info still....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts