Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article today about the possibility of a roll-over while out wheeling and the chance you might ruin/ destroy your Hi-lift jack because it was mounted to the bumper or externally to the roof rack.

Although a roll-over is never intended, it may render your jack useless when you needed it the most.

I would like to get some of your thoughts on this?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Good point. I'm not a fan of mounting the jack on the racks. I have a jack, but never mounted it outside because of that reason and also I didn't like having weight up high. I keep mine in it's pouch and secured it inside the cargo area.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would think if you roll the jack would be small change compared to your other problems!
You may need the rack to right the vehicle. Often, a FJ is still mobile after a roll. It may be the difference of able to drive to a safe place or waiting for someone to come get you. But, yes, the jack would be a small issue compared to all the transformation that your FJ have just gone through :lol:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There are so many variables in a roll situation, that I agree, the jack is way down the list. If you are pushing it enough to risk rolling, I would hope that a buddy in another vehicle would be with you--you can use his jack/winch/straps. I agree with keeping the COG low, but I suspect it is a rare event when someone blows up and has a bad day solely because the Hi-lift is up top. Every little bit helps, I guess, but I do not feel this is a huge factor.

·
Registered
396 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: what if the jack was on the right side of your roof rack and you turned hard to the right and the extra weight on that side kept the fj from rolling over to the left.thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
has anyone actually calculated the moment of having the hi-lift jack mounted to the rack? I'd be surprised if it moved the CG of a loaded vehicle any appreciable amount.

Figuring a vehicle with two adults, gear and gas, I don't believe that it makes that much of a difference and there's a lot of worry about nothing...

I could be wrong, but until I get around to calculating the theoretical shift in CG or someone else posts the calculation, I'm going with it being a non issue.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
has anyone actually calculated the moment of having the hi-lift jack mounted to the rack? I'd be surprised if it moved the CG of a loaded vehicle any appreciable amount.

Figuring a vehicle with two adults, gear and gas, I don't believe that it makes that much of a difference and there's a lot of worry about nothing...

I could be wrong, but until I get around to calculating the theoretical shift in CG or someone else posts the calculation, I'm going with it being a non issue.

On your thought, I'm now starting to think having it up high is not so much the issue as making sure it is mounted within (not outside of) my ARB rack to protect it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I was reading an article today about the possibility of a roll-over while out wheeling and the chance you might ruin/ destroy your Hi-lift jack because it was mounted to the bumper or externally to the roof rack.

Although a roll-over is never intended, it may render your jack useless when you needed it the most.

I would like to get some of your thoughts on this?

Thank you
After a roll-over, you might be rendered useless - the jack is probably the least of your concerns at that time (I speak from multiple experiences). Ideas for a better mounting location ? Inside the vehicle could be a disaster in ANY type of accident, for which there is a much higher probability. I have mounted a Hi-Lift on the roof rack on almost all of my vehicles, and have yet to damage one. I have seen the roof racks rip completely off the vehicle in a roll-over, but the jacks have survived just fine.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the Jack - for starters, (as mentioned, it will be the least of your problems post-rollover). And, the jack will come away unscathed. Roll the FJ down a hill, pull the Hi-Lift off and it will work flawlessly. There's no metal on the FJ that's stronger than any part of the Hi-Lift. As the FJ rolls over the rock, the FJ will conform to the Jack and the rock... not the other way around.

Rust is more of a threat to the Hi-Lift than a rollover.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would be more worried about it being inside and killing me when it hit me, than being damaged while safely outside. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I would be more worried about it being inside and killing me when it hit me, than being damaged while safely outside. :rofl:
X2

There is not really a safe place for something that large and heavy inside of the FJ without some serious reconfiguration somewhere or a "cage" to physically mount it to. I'm not saying the cargo tie downs in the back aren't strong enough, but it just doesn't fit right in that space.

Mine is mounted on the rack as well. I keep mine on the back rather than the sides.....

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My hi-lift is the 48in version and fits inside the cargo area just fine. It's easily tied down with my other cargo. It's not going anywhere. When I think of putting it on the roof, there's always the fear of mounts failing and the jack go sailing when I stop abruptly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My hi-lift is the 48in version and fits inside the cargo area just fine. It's easily tied down with my other cargo. It's not going anywhere. When I think of putting it on the roof, there's always the fear of mounts failing and the jack go sailing when I stop abruptly.
You must have got a different cargo area then me... I have to have mine propped up on the shelf opposite the subwoofer and even with 2 ratchet straps holding it down it slides all over that shelf and scratches the **** out of it...

Mine's going on the roof rack...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You must have got a different cargo area then me... I have to have mine propped up on the shelf opposite the subwoofer and even with 2 ratchet straps holding it down it slides all over that shelf and scratches the **** out of it...

Mine's going on the roof rack...
I have the hi-lift soft pouch. I also pad the area with thick towels. I don't use the hi-lift unless I have to and so far, I haven't had the chance to. It'll take a while to get the lift out of my cargo area the way it's secured, but it's not an item that needs to come out very often.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
X2

There is not really a safe place for something that large and heavy inside of the FJ without some serious reconfiguration somewhere or a "cage" to physically mount it to. I'm not saying the cargo tie downs in the back aren't strong enough, but it just doesn't fit right in that space.

Mine is mounted on the rack as well. I keep mine on the back rather than the sides.....
this is why we mounted ours in the FJ below the back seat, plus we do not have a roof rack...
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

you may like to see this thread.... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/15592-should-pass-sky-dirt-test.html?highlight=sky+dirt

·
Registered
468 Posts
At first thought, mounting it inside the vehicle sounds like a good idea - out of the weather, less chance of theft, don't have to lift it above your head to put it away (pet peeve of mine as I'm always dead tired by then).

BUT, if you roll your vehicle, you likely won't be able to get the doors opened. Mine is on my roof, but my preferred location is out of the way on either the front/rear bumper.

Like everything, there seems to be individual preference to location possibly based on individual use and experiance. I would never, however, ever pack it unsecured in the cargo area or on the floor. Too dangerous for me.

I've thought of mounting it inside, but don't want to fuss with not scratching the interior to get it in/out. For now, mine will stay on the rack - and the four-trek mounts might as well be welded - they have shifted, nor loosened in over a year of cyclic loading (only take the jack when I'm headed out of town).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts