Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So here is the final install with jack and lock. Found the cable lock out at 4wheel parts. It fits exactly through the hi-lift center lift section. No excessive cable all wrapped around everything nice and clean.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I went with Demello mounts also. They are simple, sturdy and functional, and don't get in the way of my Thule cargo box when mounted. My only change was to add a flat washer and a lock washer to each mount - for 90 cents at Lowes I think it improves the function and retention. I am a little surprised that they didn't come with these already but overall I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Anybody concerned or seeing any rust forming on the Roof Rack around the mounts.
I've got a little rust on my demello mounts, but a couple minutes with a wire brush and some grease will fix that straight away.

No rust on the rack itself; the mounts are aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I installed some M6 bolts to replace the thumbscrews on the roof rack slats and they all rusted up. So, I had them plated in black zinc -- a little expensive but no more rust.

Thinking of doing the same w/the studs on my Demello mounts which also rust, but hitting them w/WD40 or other lubricant and a wire brush is a good termporary "fix" as previously mentioned by spincycle.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I am considering using a couple of fourtreks mounts to mount my front license on my bull bar. I may just put some electrical tape under the bracket hoping to prevent scratches and eventually rust.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I just built a set of HiLift mounts for my ARB roof rack today. They are built of commercial hydraulic clamps modified with a longer grade 5 stainless bolt through the top for the through bolts going through the jack. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. It was about -15 with the windchill when I finished up. Looks fair/good and cost about $30. Appears to be bombproof.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just received a Hi-Lift X-treme as an early Christmas present from my wonderful husband...! I want to mount it to the spare tire. I have seen pictures of FJ's with this, but haven't found anyone that sells a mount for it.

Any suggestions!

Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I just received a Hi-Lift X-treme as an early Christmas present from my wonderful husband...! I want to mount it to the spare tire. I have seen pictures of FJ's with this, but haven't found anyone that sells a mount for it.

Any suggestions!

I think you could modify one of the spare tire gas tank mounts (sorry I'll have to look for the tread) that are out there for the Hi-Lift jack, but I think that would be a waste. Even though it's difficult to reach, the roof rack is the 'best" place for it because you seldom use it and up there it's out of the way until you need to do so.

I've also seen someone who installed brackets below the rear seat and just installed it there, which is another option, or you could buy a hard case for the jack (which I recently saw at CruiserLarry's) and just throw the case in the "trunk", if putting it on the roof just isn't something you want to do.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

Any suggestions!

I ran mine on the stock rack for a long time with the Fourtrek mounts.

Since you run an ARB bumper like I do, you can lower your COG and put it on the bumper.
That is how I am running it now with Fourtrek's 1 7/8" rings and mounts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used the set of FJOEL Dom's Non-Rack Hi-Lift Mounts that I have (from my abandoned roof ligth project) and attached them to my ARB 1/2 (small) rack.

Question on this setup,

I have the same rack as you do, and I like how that mounting looks...

Could I acheive the same thing by just drilling two 1/2 holes through the racks rear uprights and running two bolts through to hold the jack?

Thanks,

webshot

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Question on this setup,

I have the same rack as you do, and I like how that mounting looks...

Could I acheive the same thing by just drilling two 1/2 holes through the racks rear uprights and running two bolts through to hold the jack?

Thanks,

webshot
Hope you don't mind but I would suggest you don't do that. You will likely need more structural integrity. The piece of metal the bolts would go through would be way too weak.

If you want to build a home built flavor, add a metal piece behind and in front of that sheet metal on the ARB rack and run a bolt through both pieces, with a nut on the outside and then put your Hi Lift on it.

FWIW

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hope you don't mind but I would suggest you don't do that. You will likely need more structural integrity. The piece of metal the bolts would go through would be way too weak.

If you want to build a home built flavor, add a metal piece behind and in front of that sheet metal on the ARB rack and run a bolt through both pieces, with a nut on the outside and then put your Hi Lift on it.

FWIW
Yes I agree, Now that I look at how thin that steel is on the rack, I think your right. I have a 48" jack, so it with shovel, and axe, will fit fine within the rack. I think I'm back to square one and just straping everything down in the rack. I see no real point in mounting it on the outside.

Thank you for the input!

webshot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Made my Own!! 35$ AND 10 MIN TO MAKE THEM

I could not justify spending more than the jack on the mounts. Just felt really wrong to me! :)

What did you use to make them. They look great. I used some U clamps but they looked cheap (which they were) but worked.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I just built a set of HiLift mounts for my ARB roof rack today. They are built of commercial hydraulic clamps modified with a longer grade 5 stainless bolt through the top for the through bolts going through the jack. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. It was about -15 with the windchill when I finished up. Looks fair/good and cost about $30. Appears to be bombproof.

Regards,

Mike

Okay. Got some pics just as I was losing light. Hope my ghetto job inspires some. I still have to modify it the slightest bit but the demo ride today (sans Hi-Lift foot) worked fantastic. No whistling from the tube (that I could hear) and no rattles (after I took the foot off).

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Okay. Got some pics just as I was losing light. Hope my ghetto job inspires some. I still have to modify it the slightest bit but the demo ride today (sans Hi-Lift foot) worked fantastic. No whistling from the tube (that I could hear) and no rattles (after I took the foot off).
A couple more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts