Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has figured this out yet, but I think I have the perfect spot to store your Hi-Lift inside the vehicle.

I was taking out the back seat lower cushions for our upcoming trip to Moab and thought the seat's folding brackets looked a lot like tool cradles. Folded down the second one and the fourth one (counting from drivers side) and dropped my Hi-Lift right in. Jack foot on drivers side, pointy end down.

Fold the fourth bracket back over the top of the jack to act as a clamp and put the seats down over the whole thing. Actually works better if you don't have a handle keeper.

Surprisingly secure with the seat backs down. Doesn't make any noise while driving, but Moab next week will be the true test.

-e.Rock

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Guys, Trying to figure where to mount mine. Inside the cab sounds great for out of the way and theft free, but what about if you actually need to use it and in a muddy situation. bringing all the mud back into the cab? Obviously you would try to rinse it off nearby but may not be an option.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Ok as long as you don't have a cab full of luggage and other stuff. Just get the Hilift kit for mounting on your roof rack and get the HL lock

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ok as long as you don't have a cab full of luggage and other stuff. Just get the Hilift kit for mounting on your roof rack and get the HL lock
Just use a cable lock for a gun. Not only does it lock the jack to the roof rack, it serves as a warning for potential thieves.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Never used mine on the FJ or Jeep
Both are in the basement now for the last few years

Winch and 5 ton hydraulic bottle jack now

Used a handyman some on the farm as a kid but I’m not lifting disk tongues or pulling fence posts any more.

Been on many wheeling trips and haven’t seen any used yet

IMHO and experience

·
Registered
584 Posts
Never used mine on the FJ or Jeep
Both are in the basement now for the last few years

Winch and 5 ton hydraulic bottle jack now

Used a handyman some on the farm as a kid but I’m not lifting disk tongues or pulling fence posts any more.

Been on many wheeling trips and haven’t seen any used yet

IMHO and experience
LOL Agreed. I made some custom mounts similar to the OP and in 5 years have never taken it out once! Good to have for the just in case, or if I get a flat, but have never really needed it...

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Nobody gets these because they need them, you get them because you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had mine for a dozen years on my FJ and never needed my hi-lift until a few weeks ago. I was in Montana in a trail in the mountains and I took the wrong turn. I had my trailer with me and this trail was steep and going down and getting more narrow. I knew I was in trouble when there were trees starting to lay across the trail. Normally I would just find a wide spot and turn around but I had the trailer with me and I was going a steep downward trail. Anyway I finally found a spot just wide enough to turn part of the way and used the hi-lift jack to turn the trailer the rest of the way. It was so step that I would lift the trailer about a foot and the steepness would make the hi-lift jack fall and the trailer moved about 6". It took me about 30 minutes to flip the trailer around that way but I was sure glad I had the hi-lift that day. Here's a snap shot of the trail. Notice the small trees laying across the trail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I use mine quite a bit on the ranch. It's great for pulling T-posts, tightening up barbed wire and getting "stupid" fixed. I used to carry it in the truck box but after getting the FJ I've been leaving it at the ranch. Originally I got it because the little jack that came with the pickup wasn't anywhere big enough. The 4 ton farm jack works great! I don't have to unload the truck to fix a flat!

We also use it to get the trailers on/off of the truck hitch, open the doors on the box cars, hold down bags and stuff. Plus, it's heavy enough that the donkeys don't run off with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts