Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got one of these:

Amazon.com: CSI W580 Winch Receiver And Shackle Combo: Automotive

for my new FJ and it got me wondering if it would work as an attach point for the hi-lift jack. I'm not planning on doing that, but could see how it might be beneficial to jack up the back in order to put rocks under both rear tires if stuck.

My concern is that the vehicle could roll forward and/or pivot sideways -- thus causing the high-lift to puncture the spare tire, scrape the bumper, slice the rear door, or inflict some other nasty damage.

I have a 4x4 manual transmission and would leave it in reverse. I could also apply the parking brake, but I think this only applies to the rear wheels, yes??

Anybody ever do this? Is there a way to lock-down the front wheel?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
True, so true.

ADVANCED Hi-Lift users will use such a jack point to do something known as 'pole-vaulting' the truck to the side. This is NOT an activity for the faint of heart, trust me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I'll have to scratch that idea off the hi-lift jack practice session for this weekend...

Sounds like you all have had/seen some bad experiences with that. Glad I asked. Will stick to the sliders and the wheels (via lift-mate). I still have stock bumpers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts