Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Who carries a hi-lift? -Everyone should i recently upgraded to a 60IN last time 48In was barely enough

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations? - I have used it to change a lot of tires, as a winch & also jacked my truck up & kept pushing it off the jack front & rear until I was on firm ground again.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury? -Anytime that you introduce the human condition there will be injuries I have seen people get cut with a plastic spoon

How do you maintain your hi-lift? - Water & WD40 when it needs it

How do you carry it? - I used to carry it on my rack now its on my Red Eye Bumper

What alternatives exist and how good are they? - Everything else is very expensive & I haven't seen these others in operation in the feild

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Who carries a hi-lift? I do a 60 inch version

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations? I have practiced with my Hi-Lift in the yard before each trip to make sure it is working properly. Have I needed it on the trail, not yet but others have had to use them.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury? Yes, I saw a knock-off fail, don't skimp on essential gear.

How do you maintain your hi-lift? I store it in the garage when not on wheeling trips, I use Tri-Flow chain lube, doesn't attract as much grit as other lubricants.

How do you carry it? Mounted to the roof rack.

What alternatives exist and how good are they? I have the bottle jack with the off-road base, eventually I will upgrade to the SafeJack kit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I carry mine on my roof rack all the time. I used to take it on and off for the trails vs daily driving. But I try to get out most weekends and I just got lazy and left it on.
I recently got a cover to keep it in good shape. I've used it to change 2 tires and once as a winch...I bought a real winch after that incident.
I've used the Jack for several non vehicle tasks. I've pulled out a couple stumps, moved a shed, adjusted trailers, pried off concrete forms and moved boulders for landscaping. High lift is a brand name for the more general farm jack. They really do have a lot of uses besides off-roading if you need a lot of force applied anywhere.
Edit: if you are going to use it for off-roading you need to either have sliders and a tubing adaptor, a bumper with lift points, or a high lift mate. Without one of these, trying to lift the FJ will either hurt you or your vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I carried my first one up on the roof full time and it rusted so bad it didn`t work anymore. My new one is on the truck on trail day and in the garage the rest of the time

21 - 24 of 24 Posts