Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else running Diode Dynamics halos and LED turn signal bulbs up front? I have a set of HID retro fit headlights with the Diode Dynamics switchback halo. ring inside. The way I currently have it wired, the halo ring is amber when I go to the first position on the headlight switch. (DRL plug is currently disconnected on the front bumper) When I signal, the halo flashes with the turn signal which is what I wanted it to do. When I move to the 2nd position to turn the headlights on, the halo rings stays amber, again OK.

The problem is two fold; sometimes when I use the right blinker the arrow indicator on the dash will remain on for a second or two before fading away. That issue carries to the turn signals, they stay on briefly after flashing before fading out. (front & back) Same issue happens with the 4 way flashers, the right side stays on briefly before fading out - the left side does not- it shuts off as it is supposed to. I find it odd one side does it and the other side does not. The problem is intermittent, today on the way to work and around town, no problem, works like it should. Yesterday it was staying on & fading out. I've checked the bulbs and they seem solidly set into the socket.

The second issue; I cannot get LED bulbs to function correctly in the front turn signals with this current set up. I'm using the regular incandescent turn signal bulbs with everything described above. LEDs will signal correctly when the headlight switch is off. When I move to the first or second position to get the DRLs or headlights to come on, the arrow indicators on the dash go solid on both sides and I hear a intermittent super fast clicking from the flasher relay. The flasher relay was swapped with the basic Diode Dynamics LED flasher relay- I've also swapped the Diode Dynamics Smart Tap with the same results. I've tried two different sets of Diode Dynamic LED bulbs and both do the same thing so I'm convinced it's not a bad bulb(s)

I'm also running all LED bulbs (Diode Dynamics) on the back (turn signal, brake and back up lights) and have no issue, they work fine.

I spoke with someone again yesterday at Diode Dynamics and they are baffled. He said running the halo in amber full time was fine but wiring to also function as a turn signal can be done added some complexity but he didn't have a solution.

If you have a same or similar set up, hoping you can share with me how you wired them. I've got to where I am now by largely by guess work, swapping wires from the halo to the turn signals to get the current effect but I'm stumped at this point. Hoping somebody can give me clear direction on how to fix the fade issue and get the LED signal bulbs to function properly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It sounds like you might have a borderline resistance problem. My understanding is that LEDs require the “right” resistance to work right.

Although, if this was really the problem, one would think the DD guys would have figured it out. Maybe talk to a different guy?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts