Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 55w 8000k HID's from DDM tuning in halo projectors (H9 bulbs, no wiring harness, they connect directly into the Halogen bulb plugs in the projectors). The problem I am having is that upon initial startup, such as in the morning, both lights will turn on, but then after a second or two, the passenger side bulb will go out. I will turn my lights off, then back on again, and both lights will come on and stay on for good. Also, if I am running my lights on, then turn my car and lights off for say, thirty minutes or so, then come back out and turn the car and lights back on, they will ignite and stay on, no shutting off problems.

I originally had the same ddm 55w ballasts with 6000k H4 bulbs in the reflector housing, with the wiring harness, then I got the projectors, took out the wiring harness, and had 6000k bulbs and connectors from some company like xenontec or something, and those were hooked up again, to the ddm ballasts, and I had zero problems with either of those, no flickering, no shutting off. Now I have 8000k ddm bulbs with ddm connectors hooked up, once more, to the ddm ballasts, but now I am experiencing this issue.

I have had the drivers side do this only once, then never again. It is always the passenger side. What do you guys think the problem is? The bulbs, ballasts, the connectors, or do I need to put the wiring harness in?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Normal problem for HIDs... usually its a ground related issue. It could be the power draw as well, since driver gets power first.

Anyway, 9 times out of 10 I got the issue fixed by giving each ballast its own good ground, no matter what car it was...

BTW, I got 4 HIDs on the roof, all turn on at the same time with no issues, each ballast has its own ground, with less than 2' wire.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Normal problem for HIDs... usually its a ground related issue. It could be the power draw as well, since driver gets power first.

Anyway, 9 times out of 10 I got the issue fixed by giving each ballast its own good ground, no matter what car it was...

BTW, I got 4 HIDs on the roof, all turn on at the same time with no issues, each ballast has its own ground, with less than 2' wire.
Hmmm thanks man! I have the same issues and have just procrastinated on giving DDM a call...guess it's all on me lol. I'll try giving it a better ground instead

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
could be a moisture issue too. I had that issue and noticed one of my housings had some droplets in it. I removed the bulb, hit it up with a hair drier and let it sit in the sun a few hours, re installed bulb and sealed it up with a bead of silicone. no prob since.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had this in my driverside. One headlight would turn on, I would turn them off, then back on and the driverside would be lit. I fixed this by adding 5amps to the fuse. weird.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah I saw that fuse suggestion on the DDM website. I might just try that first.... I'm a bit surprised on the ground issue - I pride myself with quality electrical installs

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeah I saw that fuse suggestion on the DDM website. I might just try that first.... I'm a bit surprised on the ground issue - I pride myself with quality electrical installs
On the DDM kit, I'm not even sure which wire is the ground wire. Anyone know?

I dont see any free connections to ground to the frame. Possibly the ballast box itself?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
So that kit plugs right into the factory wiring meaning it uses the factory grounds. Well... to be honest, I have not done a HID plug in on the FJ so I would not be the right person to ask if the ground really is the problem. I just know that, when I installed HIDs on Rx7s, Supras, Evos, WRXs, Vipers, Corvettes, etc... the problem 90% of the time, was a bad ground.

One thing you could try is to turn the lights on, when only one is working, shake the other ballast, put some pressure on the connectors, and wiggle the wiring on the back of the light. Maybe, you have something loose somewhere...

·
Registered
470 Posts
if the 5+amps doesn't work out for you JohnnyNumber5, I'm curious if it might just be a loose connection.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Just out of curiosity how long did it take the DDM kit to get to your door from China. Its been 19 days for mine and still not here.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the H9's, the ground wire is connected to the factory halogen ground wire, that comes with the projectors. I have found that if I start my FJ, let it idle for a few seconds, then turn on my lights, they don't flicker...odd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts