Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm horrible with electronics. My headlight (HiD kit) on drivers side is working fine but passenger side is not, I'm assuming there's a short, or bulb out or ballast is bad. I checked all the connections there fine. Any suggestions? Also I heard the hassle HID kits bring, are there just replacement bulbs that bring similar amount of light output as HiDs? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
How are the HIDs hooked up? Are they directly connected to the battery and have a relay harness?

If the kit is complete and installed with a relay harness, first make sure you have a good grounding point. Then I would swap bulbs to see if one is bad. If both bulbs work, then put the bulbs back in the original locations and swap ballasts.

The HID bulbs are sensitive to contaminants on the glass. Did you wear gloves or make sure you did not touch the glass with your hands?

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mine were a pain too...until I disabled the DRLs. It's been about a year now with NO issues at all.

When I had issues it ended up being the ballasts.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Have you looked at doing a projector retrofit? You get a lot more light on the road, but you'll spend a good bit more than DDM as well. Look up some of "The Retrofit Source" headlight retrofits that some of the guys have done on their FJs around here. I haven't heard of any complaints on TRS HIDs.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My TRS kit from Nestor works great but definitely disable your DRLS (unplug the resister). You don't want that lower voltage pumped into your ballasts all the time. I have a feeling that may do bad things to do the electronics.
If the HIDs are directly hooked into the battery using a relay harness then they are getting the correct voltage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had an HID DDM kit installed for two years and changed out the bulbs and I have never had a problem. A ballast can go out so I think that is what you should try. Like it was stated swap the ballast with the other side to find out. I still have my DLR's plugged in.
Those HID's will locate snakes well!
:rocker:

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If the HIDs are directly hooked into the battery using a relay harness then they are getting the correct voltage.
i'm having problems with mine also (left light not coming on) unless I flick the brights to ignite it...I ordered a relay harness and new ballasts so do I still need to unplug the DRLs by the left headlight with the relay harness?

·
Registered
507 Posts
i'm having problems with mine also (left light not coming on) unless I flick the brights to ignite it...I ordered a relay harness and new ballasts so do I still need to unplug the DRLs by the left headlight with the relay harness?
Some voltage will always be present on the headlight wire if you do not. It may not be enough to trip the relay but if it is it would mean your headlights will be on all the time. Unless you want that you need to unplug the resistor. It's not a big deal or difficult to do and very easily reversed. DRLs are no longer valid if you go HID.

Honestly I don't think a relay is really necessary, most HIDs aren't drawing more current than stock halogens are they?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Hey I have been having the same problem and I have had my DRLs unplugged for awhile now. Please let me know if you figure out what is causing your problem!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
will do ..I have new ballast coming and a relay harness..hoping the relay harness solves the problem...my thinking is since I can get bulb/s to ignite that's its not the bulb and its a voltage problem somewhere in between. I really like my HIDs and want to keep them

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
so do I still need to unplug the DRLs by the left headlight with the relay harness?
No you do not need to unplug the DRL resistor if you are using the relay harness and getting power directly from the battery. That is if you want to keep the DRL function. I have HIDs and DRL with no issue just like Tony.

Some voltage will always be present on the headlight wire if you do not. It may not be enough to trip the relay but if it is it would mean your headlights will be on all the time. Unless you want that you need to unplug the resistor. It's not a big deal or difficult to do and very easily reversed. DRLs are no longer valid if you go HID.

Honestly I don't think a relay is really necessary, most HIDs aren't drawing more current than stock halogens are they?
Not sure what you mean by DRL no longer valid if you go HIDs.

Yes HIDs are not drawing more current than stock halogens, but if the kit is not drawing directly from the battery the ideal voltage for the ballasts may not be achieved (especially with DRL function intact).

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
the relay harness will be here in a couple days..i should of got one a long time ago...and yeah I really don't want to unplug them

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bump for Zed71. Agreed..

My HID's headlights are allways on (DRL) Daytime Running Lights. Keep the resistor plugged in. The HID's draw less power than your stock headlights anyways. Your ballast is most likely the issue.

Let us know,

:)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
right on as said I order new ballast also, I would guess that over time not using a relay harness that I have damaged the ballast (voltage) that's why I just went ahead and ordered new ones when I ordered the relay harness

1 - 20 of 31 Posts