Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
No you do not need to unplug the DRL resistor if you are using the relay harness and getting power directly from the battery. That is if you want to keep the DRL function. I have HIDs and DRL with no issue just like Tony.

Not sure what you mean by DRL no longer valid if you go HIDs.

Yes HIDs are not drawing more current than stock halogens, but if the kit is not drawing directly from the battery the ideal voltage for the ballasts may not be achieved (especially with DRL function intact).
Voltage is fine on the stock system, but that's why I said you must disable the DRL resister. If you take that "out of the loop" then you shouldn't have any issues with voltage. However, certainly the "safest" method is to run a relay directly to the battery.

DRLs are no longer valid if you don't use a relay setup because leaving the resister in will most likely cause failure with your ballast. I didn't consider that you might want to run you HIDs all the time as your DRLs. That also seems like it also might put premature failure in your future just from lots of extra use. At that point you're not really running "DRLs" anyway though since you're just leaving the headlights on all the time. As far as using the original system as intended by adjusting intensity with a resister.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Voltage is fine on the stock system, but that's why I said you must disable the DRL resister. If you take that "out of the loop" then you shouldn't have any issues with voltage. However, certainly the "safest" method is to run a relay directly to the battery.

DRLs are no longer valid if you don't use a relay setup because leaving the resister in will most likely cause failure with your ballast. I didn't consider that you might want to run you HIDs all the time as your DRLs. That also seems like it also might put premature failure in your future just from lots of extra use. At that point you're not really running "DRLs" anyway though since you're just leaving the headlights on all the time. As far as using the original system as intended by adjusting intensity with a resister.
Ah gotcha :cheers:.

FYI for others, just like Tony, no issues running HIDs full time in my FJ or other vehicles. If a bulb goes out, they are only ~$30 for two and the full kit (bulbs and ballast) is ~$70 from DDM (pricing from memory). The ones I installed in our Tahoe have been operating for ~4 years with no issues.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ah gotcha :cheers:.

FYI for others, just like Tony, no issues running HIDs full time in my FJ or other vehicles. If a bulb goes out, they are only ~$30 for two and the full kit (bulbs and ballast) is ~$70 from DDM (pricing from memory). The ones I installed in our Tahoe have been operating for ~4 years with no issues.
Awesome, good to hear. I've got a bit more money invested in my system from TRS so I guess I was more nervous about that. I'm using LEDs with my DRL system instead. I basically just remove the resister and put the LEDs in line with the low beam circuit and it powers them whenever the "DRLs" are on. I'm fortunate enough to have a "DRL" setting on my steering wheel control stalk so I can even turn them off if I want to. I'd like to output a bit more light though so I might add some higher wattage LEDs somewhere. Just experimenting. =)

I'm curious if the relay solves ZoSoIV issues, so let us know. =)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Will do... HID bulbs have like a 2500 hour life so I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue running them full time,,BTW I just got them( ballast ,relay harness) in the mail today so hopefully I can get it done tonight

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Awesome, good to hear. I've got a bit more money invested in my system from TRS so I guess I was more nervous about that. I'm using LEDs with my DRL system instead. I basically just remove the resister and put the LEDs in line with the low beam circuit and it powers them whenever the "DRLs" are on. I'm fortunate enough to have a "DRL" setting on my steering wheel control stalk so I can even turn them off if I want to. I'd like to output a bit more light though so I might add some higher wattage LEDs somewhere. Just experimenting. =)

I'm curious if the relay solves ZoSoIV issues, so let us know. =)
That sounds like a bada$$ setup with the LEDs. Can you show a pic of how you wired up the LEDs to the low beam circuit? Also pics of them on?

Will do... HID bulbs have like a 2500 hour life so I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue running them full time,,BTW I just got them( ballast ,relay harness) in the mail today so hopefully I can get it done tonight
Good luck and post back.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sounds like a bada$$ setup with the LEDs. Can you show a pic of how you wired up the LEDs to the low beam circuit? Also pics of them on?

nothing really fancy on the leds. I wired them directly to the low beam wire and then to ground after removing the resister. That way the low beam just powers the leds all the time when "DRLs" are on. The system just puts 12V to low all the time as soon as you turn the key. Hope that makes sense.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
got the relay harness hooked up everything works now so that was my problem voltage to the setup and the relay harness corrected that

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice!

Glad to hear that was the issue.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

nothing really fancy on the leds. I wired them directly to the low beam wire and then to ground after removing the resister. That way the low beam just powers the leds all the time when "DRLs" are on. The system just puts 12V to low all the time as soon as you turn the key. Hope that makes sense.
That looks good!

got the relay harness hooked up everything works now so that was my problem voltage to the setup and the relay harness corrected that
Good to hear it worked out.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts